Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida College pedestrian bridge collapse in Miami.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandwhich probably collapse in your mouth and kill your tongue
    WH

Comment

There’s a great video by AvE on YouTube that is an armchair quarterback analysis of the bridge and its constuction and possible causes for the collapse.

If you haven’t enjoyed AvE before, go through some of his stuff. Highly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
        Where did you read that?
        I heard it on the Hannity show yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
          There’s a great video by AvE on YouTube that is an armchair quarterback analysis of the bridge and its constuction and possible causes for the collapse.

If you haven’t enjoyed AvE before, go through some of his stuff. Highly entertaining.
          That guy is awesome

Comment

More incompetent engineers that will soon have degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

One of my favorite Youtube channels, I watched the vid this morning and clicked on this thread with the intention of sharing it lol

Comment

I'm really sorry about to see all of the carnage that happened, but who could not see this coming with "Chose the best answer" math.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  This thing was designed, built, installed and being tested by none other than the COLLEGE engineering team.
                  Stop making shit up - or use your brain. Either way, some critical thinking would fit in well here. Do you really think that a 174 ft / 950-ton bridge span, crossing 8 lanes of traffic, at a cost of $14.2M was just some kids' final project before graduation?

People hearing shit once and repeating it with zero thought is exactly how we got into this 'fake news' age we're in.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  More incompetent engineers that will soon have degrees.
                  You know damn well there's a PE signature on that shit, and you also know damn well engineering students who "will soon have degrees" don't have PE licenses.

Comment

This will probably end up being subject matter for future engineering classes. Back in the late '70s there was a very [in]famous accident at a hotel in Kansas City where a suspended walkway collapsed during a large party. Anyone who has to take Statics (second year engineering load analysis course) has probably learned about it. 114 killed and another 216 injured because of some bad calculations up front and some even worse "on the fly" compounding decisions (to make construction easier) during the build.

Last edited by Strychnine; 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R3_82GT View Post
                      I'm really sorry about to see all of the carnage that happened, but who could not see this coming with "Chose the best answer" math.
                      That's definitely not how engineering school works.

I can see how this can happen...buts it's got nothing to do with "chose the best answer".

A PE license doesnt mean a damn thing when it comes to competence however. Most of the best engineers I know do not work with civil structures and most other career paths don't care about a PE license.

It's more likely the marketing or or business side that's partially at fault here. I can't tell you how many times I've almost seen a sales department talk an engineer into agreeing to increase the load rating of a product because "there's a safety factor right?" Fighting this type of sales pressure is one of the few reasons i will gladly walk away from a job when it's a safety critical application.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruffdaddy;1686142]That's definitely not how engineering school works. I can see how this can happen...buts it's got nothing to do with "chose the best answer".

I have to disagree with you here - I've been an Engineer (Electrical and System) for 30+ years now, and the Math skills (that are the basis for ALL of Engineering) aren't there. They can do Mathcad and modeling, but don't understand what is happening beyond the computer - As my System Architecture professor said, any conflict between the model and reality - reality wins.

And we did discuss the Hyatt disaster in my Statics and Dynamics class at the University of Missouri - Columbia.

Comment

Uh oh
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

[quote=R3_82GT;1686146]
                            Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            That's definitely not how engineering school works. I can see how this can happen...buts it's got nothing to do with "chose the best answer".

I have to disagree with you here - I've been an Engineer (Electrical and System) for 30+ years now, and the Math skills (that are the basis for ALL of Engineering) aren't there. They can do Mathcad and modeling, but don't understand what is happening beyond the computer - As my System Architecture professor said, any conflict between the model and reality - reality wins.

And we did discuss the Hyatt disaster in my Statics and Dynamics class at the University of Missouri - Columbia.
                            Sounds like a salty old engineer to me...typical response from the people with 20-30 years of guess and check experience that are being replaced by the young ones who can run the advanced simulations. No amount of hand calculations in the world will come remotely close to my simulations. Sure I have to know a lot of math,

You'll have to show me your experience in structural analysis...im sure youve got loads of experience there as a EE and all. And I'm sure you know exactly how school is nowadays....

Comment

I don't think this was an engineering failure since it was not a finished bridge that fell down. It looks like they should have left a truss in the middle of the span until they finished attaching the support cables. I do realize that some engineer probably said that it was okay to omit the truss but there is no way I would have done that if I was the foreman on that job simply because I do not trust large unsupported spans.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

How do you know if you're talking to an engineer?
                                Don't worry, they will tell you.

Comment

Working...
                                X