Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket

So I tried smoking a brisket for the first time yesterday and it turned out decent. The one thing I was not happy with was that it was just a tad bit tough. Not the worst I have had by any stretch but I would like it to be a bit more tender.

The smoke flavor and the rub came out great and it was nice a moist for the most part just a little tough chew. How can I fix this for my next go around? I know I could probably buy a better brisket rather than the shitty one that I got at Walmart but Albertsons Choice Beef brisket was like $3/lb and I said FUCK THAT!

Is there a way to make even a not so great cut of meat a little more tender?

TYIA

PS will post pics of the brisket in a little bit, just really busy at work.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

How big was the brisket?
    What temp did you cook it at and how long?
    How close to the heat was it?
    Did you use a water pan?
    Did you let it rest afterwards?

Comment

Where's Coop? He can help you out...

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        How big was the brisket?
        What temp did you cook it at and how long?
        How close to the heat was it?
        Did you use a water pan?
        Did you let it rest afterwards?
        All of these things need to be known to give you any solid advice.
        Brisket is naturally a tough cut of meat, though. So that's a trait that is difficult, and in some cases, impossible to overcome.

Offset or vertical smoker?
        Time on smoker
        Temp of smoker (also, was it consistent?)
        Dry rub or wet?
        Did you use a mop sauce?
        Fat cap up or down?
        Did you wrap it at all?

Post up some answers when you get a chance, and I can guide you from there.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

sorry posted in a hurry.

Brisket was about 11lbs

225-250 but was hard to keep it steady because of the wind

it was in a offset smoker and in the middle of the main compartment.
          was on the smoker for about 9 hours

dry rub

injected with a 2 parts Worcestershire 2 parts BBQ sauce and 4 parts beer then
          basted once/hr with the same mixture.

1st hour was fat side down so that the rub could set on the meat side then for the last 8hrs it was fat side up.

no wrap

Comment

It needed more time on the smoker, more like 15+ hours for an 11 pounder. I'm sure it was probably thoroughly cooked but it takes more time to break down all the fat and connective tissue. Also slice it across the grain and thinner if it's too tough. They are cooked at 160 but you really need 180+ and get their slow to make it as tender as possible.

You are starting with a "cheap" cut of meat to begin with, buying one from Wal-Mart or from Albertsons isn't going to make much of a difference. Also a little known fact, most cows are "right handed", meaning they use their right leg mostly to stand up. If you can figure out which cut is from the cow's left side it won't be as tough.

Comment

Well I've just found that in general Albertson's meat is generally better than what you find at walmart. It tends to be more fresh and cook better overall, but that is just from my limited experience with beef from the two places.

Comment

I agree with BP, it sounds a bit undercooked. I've always checked by feel. You can stick a fork in the fat pocket between the top and bottom and twist. If there isn't much resistance, it's probably done.

Offset smokers are hard to keep the temperature low. I've pulled briskets off a bit early and let them sit in an oven at low temp if they start to get crispy. I've even stripped the fat off, wrapped the brisket top and bottom together in cellophane and let that sit in the oven on low for a few hours to break it down more. It's not ideal, but it works if your smoking conditions weren't spot on, had to pull it early, or whatever.

Unless you are specifically trying to find aged brisket, I don't think you'll find much difference between any supermarket briskets.
                Men have become the tools of their tools.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  Also a little known fact, most cows are "right handed", meaning they use their right leg mostly to stand up. If you can figure out which cut is from the cow's left side it won't be as tough.
                  Top brisket in the picture is right side, bottom left?

-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

BP is right in that it's a cheap cut to begin with. However, there is a difference. Tom Thumb's Rancher's Reserve is about the best brisket I've found. You have to pay attention to the label, because they aren't all RR.

He is also right on the time. You didn't leave it on long enough. A lot of people use the rule of thumb of an hour, to an hour and a half per pound. That is VERY subjective though, to type of smoker, consistency of temps, outdoor temp, how long you let it rest prior to cooking, temp of the meat when placed on the smoker, etc. Like he says, you really want to go to 180 or so. 165 cooks, but 180 further breaks down the collagen and connective tissue.

You can try brining it, and that will help. I'd do a turbinado sugar/orange juice brine. The acid in the OJ will help break down the connective tissue and collagen as well prior to cooking. You want that stuff to break down as much as possible, as it will help moisten the meat and it won't be as tough.

The above is fact and helpful for what you are looking to do. This part, is solely my opinion, and totally subjective to your taste. That said, I think you're overdoing it with the worcestershire/bbq sauce/beer injection. I'd scrap the bbq and worcestershire all together, and only inject beer. But again, that's just my opinion, and while I'm well versed on the smoker, I'm no pro. A mop sauce will help as well. I usually use a 50/50 of apple cider vinegar, and canola or corn oil. I also dice a yellow onion (fine), and put a couple tablespoons of my homemade rub in with the oil/apple cider vinegar.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

no doubt the 9 hours wasn't enough. the general rule of thumb is 1.5 hrs per pound at 225-250* (untrimmed whole brisket). just make sure you trust your gauge. i picked up a nice big faced accurate temp gauge for about $15

after a couple of briskets, i stopped messing with liquid marinades and injecting. i just go with a heavy dry rub with a simple mop while smoking. soaked pecan in the box, fat cap up and let it go.

also, brisket is a chore. i know it's a slap to the face of the purists, but dont feel bad about finishing overnight in the oven.
                      Last edited by momo; 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM.
                      www.hppmotorsports.com
                      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                        Top brisket in the picture is right side, bottom left?
                        No freakin clue, it's just one trick that some BBQ competition guys use. There is no telling which side is dominant on a particular cow. Another factor is the actual age of the cow and where it came from. Texas ranchers tend to cull their herds as summer approaches and the quality of beef can drop considerably. Prices should also drop but that doesn't seem to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                          No freakin clue, it's just one trick that some BBQ competition guys use. There is no telling which side is dominant on a particular cow. Another factor is the actual age of the cow and where it came from. Texas ranchers tend to cull their herds as summer approaches and the quality of beef can drop considerably. Prices should also drop but that doesn't seem to happen.
                          Damn. As many as I've cooked and I'm not sure either! That's a pretty nifty nugget of info though.
                          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Good thread, I will be attempting my first one friday. I am great with hams, ribs, and pork loin, but briskets always scared me before the electric smoker and digital temp guages. LOL
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

do ya'll just cook it on the grate, on a flat pan, or wrap it in foil? I did mine unwrapped one time and wasn't as good as when I wrap it..

I usually leave a 2 or 3 inch gap at the top for part of the time (maybe 4-6 hours) then close it for the remainder of the time... and I do go buy the 1.5 hour/lbs method

I tried finishing one up in the oven and it just didn't taste as good to me BUT.. I was rushing it too so I might not have cooked it long enough that time
                              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Working...
                              X