Crawfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paul_376 View Post
    Nate had them already tonight, but at $6.50 a pound. Had 6 pounds and 2 pitchers of beer
    really? Looks like thats where i'll be going to dinner this weekend.

I saw at Papadeaux(off the Tollway) on there billboard it said something about crawfish being in also.. i dunno what it exactly said since i wasnt really paying attention.

I'll usually get my crawfish at the Asian Markets, they have the best prices..

Fiesta isnt bad either...but they are kinda small imo
    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
    Your opinion is what sucks.
    You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
      I have never smelled ANY seafood that smelled good while raw or still alive. If you are a wine, salad and souffle' kind of guy, you might want to pass. If you are a cold beer, chili and rare steak kind of guy, give it a go.

Pretty good deal there, last year they never got below $1.69 per lb. around here, but they were good sized.

Stevo
      You're eating poor seafood then. Fish should not smell fishy, neither should shrimp and I'm sure crawfish shouldn't smell like complete shit either. But I guess if they're still alive, it's all good.
      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
        You're eating poor seafood then. Fish should not smell fishy, neither should shrimp and I'm sure crawfish shouldn't smell like complete shit either. But I guess if they're still alive, it's all good.
        Nearly all seafood I eat is caught and prepared by myself or still alive, so I know it is fresh. That being said, I have never smelled trout, salmon, crab, catfish, etc that I would consider smelling good while still alive or freshly iced down. Freshwater fish smell like fish, and saltwater fish generally smell like the ocean mixed with fish.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

what do you guys use to boil them?
          Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

I use water and the bagged crawfish boil, usually Louisiana brand, and usually double up on the mix ratio, with a bunch of freshly squeezed lemons thrown in, and about three pods of garlic split in half and tossed in also. I have heard of people using orange juice, apple juice, etc + the boil seasonings, but never tried it myself. After they are boiled, I apply a liberal amount of Tony Cachares Creole seasoning, but if the crawfish is for myself and a few of my close friends, I use Tony Cachares More Spice seasoning sprinkled on liberally after boiling.

EDIT: If you are talking about the device to cook them, I use a generic outdoor propane fryer/boiler. I have one that I built that I plan on using this year, it can apply more heat and stands a bit higher.

Stevo
            Last edited by stevo; 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM.
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Oh yeah, maybe this could help with the problem of small crawfish:

New Giant Crayfish Found Under Tenn. Rock

Jan. 20, 2011 -- When aquatic biologists peered under a big rock in a Tennessee creek, they got a big surprise: a new species of crayfish that is at least twice the size of its peers.

Barbicambarus simmonsi is about 5 inches long and belongs to a class of species known for their unusual "bearded" antennae. The hair-like bristles enhance the sensory abilities of the crustacean.

The stand-out find proves that new species can be found today even in well explored areas.

"This isn't a crayfish that someone would have picked up and just said, 'Oh, it's another crayfish,' and put it back," University of Illinois aquatic biologist Chris Taylor, the curator of crustaceans at the Illinois Natural History Survey and a co-discoverer of the new species, said in a press release. "If you were an aquatic biologist and you had seen this thing, because of the size and the setae on the antennae, you would have recognized it as something really, really different and you would have saved it."

Taylor, along with Kentucky University biological sciences professor Guenter Schuster found their first specimen under one of the biggest rocks in the deepest part of Shoal Creek, a stream in southern Tennessee that ultimately drains into the Tennessee River.

The new species is described in a paper in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington.

Stevo

Comment

Comment

I use water and the bagged crawfish boil, usually Louisiana brand, and usually double up on the mix ratio, with a bunch of freshly squeezed lemons thrown in, and about three pods of garlic split in half and tossed in also. I have heard of people using orange juice, apple juice, etc + the boil seasonings, but never tried it myself. After they are boiled, I apply a liberal amount of Tony Cachares Creole seasoning, but if the crawfish is for myself and a few of my close friends, I use Tony Cachares More Spice seasoning sprinkled on liberally after boiling.

EDIT: If you are talking about the device to cook them, I use a generic outdoor propane fryer/boiler. I have one that I built that I plan on using this year, it can apply more heat and stands a bit higher.

Stevo

yeah device to cook them, do you have a pic? thanks

Comment

yeah device to cook them, do you have a pic? thanks
                    Like this one, but mine uses a much larger pot and is a slightly different design.

Shop Academy Sports + Outdoors for sporting goods, hunting, fishing and camping equipment. Find recreation and leisure products, footwear, apparel, grills, bikes, g...

Stevo

Comment

Like this one, but mine uses a much larger pot and is a slightly different design.

Shop Academy Sports + Outdoors for sporting goods, hunting, fishing and camping equipment. Find recreation and leisure products, footwear, apparel, grills, bikes, g...

Stevo
                      yeah we always use those to cook one.. i dont have one yet for the house but will this season.

I boil mine in OJ also.. Which Nates has crawfish? Addison?

Comment

Originally posted by unkoricky View Post
                        yeah we always use those to cook one.. i dont have one yet for the house but will this season.

They closed the Nate's in Allen already. You can always call and ask if they have crawfish as it changes day by day depending on how much they sell and whether the truck came or not.
                        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by unkoricky View Post

yeah had 6 pounds at the Addison location last Saturday, would go again this week but I work

Comment

Stevo
                            Thanks, bought a small one today at BassProShops, hope it is not too small tough.

Comment

yeah had 6 pounds at the Addison location last Saturday, would go again this week but I work
                              I might have to go and have a few pounds.. the price is pretty high but cant really complain since its hard to find crawfish this time of the year.

Comment

That barbicambarus simmonsi looks tastey!

Comment

Working...
                                X