X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick’s Sporting Goods to stop selling assault-style rifles

Dick’s Sporting Goods to stop selling assault-style rifles

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...t-style-rifles

Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. said on Wednesday it will no longer sell assault-style rifles and will ban the sale of firearms to people under the age of 21.

The changes, which will take immediate effect, come after the Valentine’s Day massacre that killed 17 — mostly students — at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old former student who was expelled from the school, allegedly entered the building and killed 17 people, mostly students, with an AR-15. Cruz, who legally obtained the weapon, was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder and is being held without bail.

“As we looked to what happened down in Parkland [Florida], we were so disturbed and saddened by what happened we felt we really needed to do something,” Dick’s Chairman and CEO Ed Stack told “Good Morning America.”

Cruz purchased a shotgun at a Dick’s store last November, though it was not used during the shooting.

“We did everything by the book. We did everything the law required and still he was able to buy a gun. When we looked at that we said, 'The systems that are in place across the board just aren’t effective enough to keep us from selling someone a gun like that.'”

Following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012, in which the gunman used an assault-style rifle, Dick’s suspended sales of modern sporting files from its stores nationwide. However, the firearms were sold at Field & Stream, an outdoors store and subsidiary of Dick’s developed in 2013. Under the new policy, the rifles will no longer be sold at any of the 35 Field & Stream locations.

In an open letter to consumers, Dick’s also said it will end the sale of high-capacity magazines and “never have and never will sell bump stocks,” a device that allows semi-automatic weapons to fire at a more rapid rate. The company will also call on lawmakers to “enact common sense gun reform” and pass regulations to ban assault-style firearms, raise the minimum wage to purchase firearms to 21, ban high-capacity magazines, require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law. It also said it would ask politicians to ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms and close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks.

“We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens,” Stack explained in the letter. “But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America – our kids.”

Even the people selling the guns are too stupid to understand that guns aren't the problem.

Not that I shop at Dick's now, but I won't be adding them to the list any time soon.

Comment

again?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

So what will they do when someone gets shot using a Mini-14 that they bought from Dick's?

This whole thing is so fucking stupid.... not sure if it's the color black or the grip that makes it so much more deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          again?
          I think it was handguns the first time around. Fuck Dick's, but have you been to the Field & Stream that is connected to a Dick's at 289 and 380? It's pretty sweet with a good selection of guns.

Shit, I didn't read the story before I posted this. That's the American way, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            I think it was handguns the first time around. Fuck Dick's, but have you been to the Field & Stream that is connected to a Dick's at 289 and 380? It's pretty sweet with a good selection of guns.

Shit, I didn't read the story before I posted this. That's the American way, right?
            is that in Oklahoma?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

is that in Oklahoma?
              It might as well be to you.

Comment

So does that mean they're going to come up with another sub-brand to sell them from? Fucking duplicitous, piece of shit attention whores are just looking for some more free publicity while trying to sit on both sides of the fence..

Comment

again?
                  They didn't stop carrying them all together. They temporarily suspended sales after Sandy Hook.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

They stopped selling them after Sandy Hook.

Then they made a separate store chain called Field & Stream and sold them there.

Now they have stopped selling them there too.

So brave. Much virtue.

Comment

Dick's probably doesn't want paid-for "protestors" bussed to their retail locations...strictly a business decision in my opinion. That being said my business decision is to add them to my ever-growing list of entities to not patronize with my choo$$$-choo$$$ money.

Comment

When they stopped before I quit shopping there except for once when my son won some gift cards to there. I simply cannot support a company that does not use logical thinking to make decisions.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          duplicitous
                          3 syllables or less please. Thanks.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Assault "style."

If I put wood furniture on an AR, and put a shorter (read <30 rd) mag in it to make it more palatable, does that negate its assault style?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Assault "style."

If I put wood furniture on an AR, and put a shorter (read <30 rd) mag in it to make it more palatable, does that negate its assault style?

Comment

Working...
                              X