Torchys Taco, talk to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Mi Dia From Scratch. There is a thread in here dedicated to It with recommendations. A buddy of mine did all the recipe/menu development, and is the Chef. They do have some tex mex and southwest food, but it's centered around Mexico City Authentic. Service seems to be hit or miss, but the food is unforgettable. Skidmark has a buddy that works there, Ulisses, that's a good server. Ask for him if you go.
    Very cool. Thank you.

Comment

Rusy Tacos opens up pretty soon here in The Colony.. It's suppose to be better than Fuzzy, so i'll try it.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      It just opened because I was at Lowes a few weeks ago and i didnt see it, but I went to Pei Wei and I saw the line and people pouring in. Of course they were mostly white people so that didn't mean shit, lol!
      LOL

I hate Pei Wei & PF Changs with a passion.

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
      What does that have to do with it?
      He's basically saying white people love anything they think is "authentic."

"Panda Express is great chinese food"
      "I love on On the Border"
      "Fuzzys FTW"

etc etc..

BTW: I like a few things at OTB and the Orange Chicken at Panda Express, but other than that, those places suck and taste like crap. I never have a craving for it, but my girl will pick up some Panda Express from time to time because we dont feel like making a drive out to Richardson/Garland.

Mi Dia From Scratch. There is a thread in here dedicated to It with recommendations. A buddy of mine did all the recipe/menu development, and is the Chef. They do have some tex mex and southwest food, but it's centered around Mexico City Authentic. Service seems to be hit or miss, but the food is unforgettable. Skidmark has a buddy that works there, Ulisses, that's a good server. Ask for him if you go.
      I think me and the lady will be trying this place tomorrow night. Celebrating our anniversary and wanted to try some mexican food that isnt in the hood for a change.
      Originally posted by 03trubluGT
      Your opinion is what sucks.
      You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Torchy's is pretty good for a mini-chain taco joint. The green chile queso has gotten quite a few best of's down in Austin.

They have a taco of the month that is only available for one month out of the year, so I usually stop in to see what the new taco is. When the ex and I were still together we ate at Torchy's probably once a week. And you know if this bolio will eat there that often it's got to be good.

This month it's the Holy Diver Taco:

Grilled Achiote shrimp on a bed of cabbage slaw, topped with chopped mango, pickled onions and jalapenos, queso fresco and cilantro. Served with Jalapeno Tartar Sauce on a flour tortilla.

Comment

This months (holy diver) is pretty good. The Ace of Spades is my favorite, but it's definitely a gut bomb.

It's not cheap, and it's not street tacos... it's good though.

Comment

The way I see it, real authentic mexican food is garbage. Last trip I took to Baja Mexico for little over a month I found the local families cooked food to nourish, not to please. Meat was "utility grade" by USDA standards (fit for dog food). Spices like cumin, oregano, and chilli were a rare commodity. I mean don't get me wrong, work with what you got when you don't have money, but don't make it a white person typecast to not know the difference.

Do you think the sushi is sushi overseas? Not by american standards. Chinese food? No way it's the same. You think Indian food in London is actually Indian? Hell no, ask anyone in India what curry powder is and you'll get a blank stare. Even pizza is different. I am not a food expert, but have been to these places -it's a totally different dining experience.

In most countries, "eating out" is a rare commodity. We do it everyday, in most foreign countries going out for a fine meal is very expensive. I know a farmer in Luxembourg who goes out to dinner maybe twice a year.

It's hardly a white person experience, it's the difference between someone who has taste and understands the difference. Whereas we have the ability to eat well everyday, and others do not. A well developed country or area has access and demand for these commodities.
            Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
            Baja-Bob.com

Comment

+1 for Torchy's in Allen. I have been every Wednesday since opening day and can't get enough of it. The street corn is killer.

Comment

The way I see it, real authentic mexican food is garbage. Last trip I took to Baja Mexico for little over a month I found the local families cooked food to nourish, not to please. Meat was "utility grade" by USDA standards (fit for dog food). Spices like cumin, oregano, and chilli were a rare commodity. I mean don't get me wrong, work with what you got when you don't have money, but don't make it a white person typecast to not know the difference.

Do you think the sushi is sushi overseas? Not by american standards. Chinese food? No way it's the same. You think Indian food in London is actually Indian? Hell no, ask anyone in India what curry powder is and you'll get a blank stare. Even pizza is different. I am not a food expert, but have been to these places -it's a totally different dining experience.

In most countries, "eating out" is a rare commodity. We do it everyday, in most foreign countries going out for a fine meal is very expensive. I know a farmer in Luxembourg who goes out to dinner maybe twice a year.

It's hardly a white person experience, it's the difference between someone who has taste and understands the difference. Whereas we have the ability to eat well everyday, and others do not. A well developed country or area has access and demand for these commodities.
                Meh. Mexican food in Mexico is bland in a lot of cases (but not all) ALL food in London sucks. Pizza didn't originate in Italy, contrary to popular belief. The flavors are what ties the American or westernized version to the real thing. I call a big bullshit on your India/curry comment though.

I think what Steve and Henry meant though, is that a lot of restaurants in TX claim to be "Mexican" when they are actually Tex Mex. Tex Mex and Mexican are nothing alike. "Mexican" restaurants here vs socal are very different. The ones in Socal actually serve Mexican food.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

lol at India not having curry powder. They only make the shit!
                  How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I call a big bullshit on your India/curry comment though.
                    Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                    lol at India not having curry powder. They only make the shit!
                    Prove me wrong.

Curry Powder is a combination of spices, that's it. In India, you don't buy curry powder. You buy all the individual spices. There is no shelf product in India called or translated to "curry powder". Then again, Alton Brown could be wrong and my host family in Hyderabad could be wrong too.
                    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                    Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Prove me wrong.

Curry Powder is a combination of spices, that's it. In India, you don't buy curry powder. You buy all the individual spices. There is no shelf product in India called or translated to "curry powder". Then again, Alton Brown could be wrong and my host family in Hyderabad could be wrong too.
                      A good friend of mine is from India, and says you're full of shit. He says you can buy curry but most people make it because it's cheaper.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Meh. Mexican food in Mexico is bland in a lot of cases (but not all) ALL food in London sucks. Pizza didn't originate in Italy, contrary to popular belief. The flavors are what ties the American or westernized version to the real thing. I call a big bullshit on your India/curry comment though.

I think what Steve and Henry meant though, is that a lot of restaurants in TX claim to be "Mexican" when they are actually Tex Mex. Tex Mex and Mexican are nothing alike. "Mexican" restaurants here vs socal are very different. The ones in Socal actually serve Mexican food.
                        Very well said

Comment

Prove me wrong.

In Indian cooking, "curry" is just a common name for any range of dishes that have a "gravy". Much like chili in the US, just with varying bases and proteins/vegetables.

There are coconut curries, onion curries, tomato curries etc.

Curry Powder was a blend of spices sold by Indian merchants to the British, so yes curry powder was originated in India. Typically curry powder consists of tumeric, corriander, cumin, and other spices. The Tumeric is what gives it it's overly strong "BO" smell.

My sister was a cook at a place here in Austin called Garage Ma-hal, that was on Food Network, and is now the head shift cook for The Whip Inn off 35 in Austin, where Indian/Middle Eastern food is their main courses.

She schooled me on curries a while back. She's also married to an Israeli and typically when I go to their house they cook something Middle Eastern/Israeli/Indian. Last time I was at her house she made a pretty awesome coconut curry with cucumber, onion, chicken, tumeric, garlic, ginger, and a few other spices. She typically doesn't use Curry Powder, rather mixes her own spices. Just like most BBQ'ers don't use an off the shelf rub, but make their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Very well said
                            So-Cal Mexican food, it typically Baja Region Mexican food. Much more fish oriented, why the fish taco gained so much popularity out there.

Tex Mex and Central Mexican are very much alike. As you get into the center of Mexico, beef is slim pickins, and chicken and goat are much more typical because they are easy to raise.

Also flour tortillas are very much a US/Mexican thing, very rare to find much further south of the border towns, unless you are at a resort or fine dining place in Mexico. My grandmother lived in Guadalajara from the time I was 7 until 13 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              So-Cal Mexican food, it typically Baja Region Mexican food. Much more fish oriented, why the fish taco gained so much popularity out there.

Tex Mex and Central Mexican are very much alike. As you get into the center of Mexico, beef is slim pickins, and chicken and goat are much more typical because they are easy to raise.

Also flour tortillas are very much a US/Mexican thing, very rare to find much further south of the border towns, unless you are at a resort or fine dining place in Mexico. My grandmother lived in Guadalajara from the time I was 7 until 13 or so.
                              Yes sir, I could have articulated my past comments on the food much better than just saying "texas mexican food sucks". Haha.

As you and Brent both said, Texas mexican or "texmex" and so-cal mexican food are much different from eachother. I think the issue I have with texmex is how sloppy it is. It's not very fresh and there isn't much "cooking" to it at all. It's pretty much alot of tortillas, fried, some canned beans and always drowned in some sort of heavy sauce that doesnt help the other flavors at all.

So-cal mexican food is much fresher/lighter, cooked with spices, fresh veggies and lighter sauces like lime/lemon based to help bring out the natural flavors.

Comment

I love Torchey's. I haven't been there since I've changed my eating ways, but I loved their food. Everything there is good.
                                Hellcat Charger

Comment

Working...
                                X