HDD or something else issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD or something else issue

Well I turned the computer on last night and was about to pay bills but then I started watching the eagles/Carolina game. Half time started and I got up to go pay them real quick and noticed the computer turned off. I turned it back on and it shut off after about 15 seconds or so. I opened my case and my damn heat sink fell off my processor!

The plastic piece that the heatsink was connected to snapped off. I laid it on the ground and placed the heatsink back on and it turns on and goes through the BIOS screen then it goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore and wont go any further. Has anyone ran into the blinking underscore of death? I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 64 bit.
    Last edited by Goku025; 10-26-2015, 02:16 PM.

Have you tried hitting it?

Comment

I want to but first I need to get the pictures off of the drive and then throw it off my roof.

Comment

Fwiw, you can pull the hdd altogether and slave it in a dock or enclosure and toss the rest of the old puter.

Comment

Welp, talked to the wife and let her know that I NEEDED a new hard drive but not any ole HD a new SSD! I have never owned one before so this is a nice upgrade from my 750GB HD that I got about 6 or 7 years ago maybe longer. I also let her know since my CPU Fan broke and fell that I needed to just bite the bullet and get a water cooling system which she didn't care but I felt it was just better to let her know :P

So I ended up getting the Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD for 87.99$ no tax and the Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX for 67$.

Comment

Have you tried hitting it?

Comment

I will try that method once again. Man im freaking excited for the new parts to come in...Anything that I need to do with the SSD to prolong the life or keep it running at an efficient speed?

Comment

Use it and enjoy the eff outta it. Grats man.

Comment

Oh and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the 750 GB HD. I was able to install windows 7 on another smaller HD, boot up and I could access all my documents on the 750GB HD. I gave up and transferred my pictures and configs etc over and reformatted the 750 installed a fresh windows 7 and it works...But still wanted an SSD.

Comment

If you're approaching 5yrs on a standard hdd, you're better off getting stuff off that's of value, you're on borrowed time. The other side of this is, ALWAYS have your data on more than one medium and or in more than one place. You'd be wise to invest in something like crashplan.

Comment

shit just failed prolly the internal read/write mech.. it happens. u got hell of use out of it. Ive had an SSD fail in a year. Just always back up your shit. I keep a backup of just my movies on a 5TB Green drive I just sata in every once in awhile.

I'm waiting for some affordable 5-10TB SSDs
                      Intel is coming out with some but they WILL be 1500 bucks..

SSDs and other flash memory devices will soon get cheaper and larger thanks to big announcements from Toshiba and Intel. Both companies revealed new "3D NAND" memory chips that are stacked in layers to pack in more data, unlike single-plane chips currently used. Toshiba said that it's created the world's first 48-layer NAND, yielding a 16GB chip with boosted speeds and reliability. The Japanese company invented flash memory in the first place and has the smallest NAND cells in the world at 15nm. Toshiba is now giving manufacturers engineering samples, but products using the new chips won't arrive for another year or so.

They can also be water-cooled. The blocks are already out.
                      Last edited by FunFordCobra; 11-05-2015, 01:03 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I tell everyone I know (especially those that keep asking me every year or so to fix their crashed computer) to NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER keep personal files on the computer HDD...portable hard drives or jump drives...hell even blank DVD's are great ways to store important documents..and being off of the OS hard drive means a hacker can't get access to them and your HDD wont get full of crap.

Comment

That's what I did I updated all the pics and put them on my external HD. I also put it on another smaller HD that I have hooked up to the computer. Thanks for the advice. Yeah I got that 750GB HD back in dec of 2009 from Newegg. Its about time to upgrade to a 2TB at least.

Comment

Alright got the new SSD up and running. Installed the Corsair GTX H100I and it was super quite. Installed the Corsair software and now its damn loud and i cant figure out how to get it back to quite mode. Anyone have some advice?

Comment

Working...
                            X