No announcement yet.

Media server and home network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digging this back up. I picked up a Dell optiplex 790 from work for pretty cheap. It has an I5 2400 processor and a 250gb hdd. Looks like the limiting factor may be the 250W PSU.

I'm wondering how it would fare as a HTPC. It only has 3 GB of RAM via a 1GB and 2GB stick. I feel like it would benefit from a pair of 2GB or 4GB match sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      Digging this back up. I picked up a Dell optiplex 790 from work for pretty cheap. It has an I5 2400 processor and a 250gb hdd. Looks like the limiting factor may be the 250W PSU.

I'm wondering how it would fare as a HTPC. It only has 3 GB of RAM via a 1GB and 2GB stick. I feel like it would benefit from a pair of 2GB or 4GB match sticks.

Going to need a good bit more storage space as well if its going to be a media server. Depending on the case may be a bit limited on how many drives you can mount. I get the largest capacity drive you can swing at least and will work in the system.
      2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
      1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by stang2be View Post
        Going to need a good bit more storage space as well if its going to be a media server. Depending on the case may be a bit limited on how many drives you can mount. I get the largest capacity drive you can swing at least and will work in the system.
        I have 2x250gb in my other desktop right now. This case only holds 2 HDD's so the case will be a limiting factor as well. I figured as much, but for $50 I figured I could make some changes

Comment

I have a HP microserver (linky) and I am pegging the CPU because of the transcoder. My Chromecast at home requires more compute than my friends CC + my PC watching videos at the same time. Upgrading to a i5-3470T

Comment

I'll read that thread later.

In you guy's opinion are these worth $50 in their current setup. I am only getting the CPU and power cord. They still have a few in the office and I am thinking about buying 1 or 2 more

Comment

If you're using them for basic use and little transcoding, it'll be fine. It only takes a few streams that require transcoding to completely max out my 3770k.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                If you're using them for basic use and little transcoding, it'll be fine. It only takes a few streams that require transcoding to completely max out my 3770k.
                We only have 1 TV going at a time mostly Netflix and HULU which we stream through our DVD or amazon fire. Basically I would use it to store DVD's for playback and for those apps that I can't load into the amazon box or DVD player.

Comment

Working...
                X