Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little OPENVPN help

I'm a newb at this, so bear with me.

Trying to VPN into my home network and see the shared drives that I have on main pc. All machines are on win10 pro. I setup up homegroup and mapped drives on my laptop. When I'm on my wifi at home, I have access to all shared drives from main pc. When I not on home network and VPN, the OPENVPN says I'm connected, but I can not see Network drives or mapped drives.

I have an Asus a66u router that is on newest firmware. It has OPENVPN. I installed and moved the config file to my laptop like it says. Only setting that changed thinking that would help is the "redirect traffic" setting. Still unable to view drives while on VPN.

Thanks

Can you ping router when on the vpn?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Just tried it and nope

I can't ping my modem or the asus router behind it. I am on VPN right now.

So what am I connected to?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
        Just tried it and nope

I can't ping my modem or the asus router behind it. I am on VPN right now.

So what am I connected to?
        check whatismyip.com while connected to the vpn.

Comment

I looked at logs and I see this in there

Tue Dec 15 11:30:44 2015 [RT-AC66U] Peer Connection Initiated

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
            check whatismyip.com while connected to the vpn.
            Your IP Address Is:

Comment

Your IP Address Is:
              Does this match what your IP "should" be ?

Comment

What is your VPN ip range and what is your LAN ip range?
                It should add the routes to your routing table so you can communicate with your VPN network via the tunnel. Can you copy and paste your routing table after connecting?
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                  Does this match what your IP "should" be ?
                  Not sure what it "should" be. When I do ipconfig, on/off VPN, I don't see that IP anywhere.

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                  What is your VPN ip range and what is your LAN ip range?
                  It should add the routes to your routing table so you can communicate with your VPN network via the tunnel. Can you copy and paste your routing table after connecting?
                  How do I get routing table?

Comment

Okay, finally off of work

I used the link to check my IP when on regular wifi.
                    Showed me on 75.19.x.x

I then connected to hotspot from my cell phone.
                    Showed me 166.177.x.x

I then VPN, and it showed me the same IP when I was on my home wifi.
                    Showed me on 75.19.x.x

So I believe the 75.19 is what my IP should be??

I redid step above about pinging my router, and I am able to ping my router IP and even log into it. Still can't see my homegroup and unable to get into the mapped drive
                    I still show that I'm connected to my hotspot.

Still checking what MACH is asking
                    Last edited by Rafa; 12-16-2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

MACH, I sent you pm

Still on VPN, I logged into my router and went to VPN settings and clicked on "connected", and it showed me the VPN IP along with the IP of my hotspot, which is my cell phone. VPN IP that is in the router matches the VPN IP that see in the OPENVPN gui on my laptop.

I still don't freaking see a homegroup or network drives.

Comment

MACH, I sent you pm

Still on VPN, I logged into my router and went to VPN settings and clicked on "connected", and it showed me the VPN IP along with the IP of my hotspot, which is my cell phone. VPN IP that is in the router matches the VPN IP that see in the OPENVPN gui on my laptop.

I still don't freaking see a homegroup or network drives.
                        Got it, you can post it here. Actually, post it while disconnected from the VPN, then post it again while connected to the VPN.
                        I am looking for internal ip addys, 192.168.*, 172.16-31*, and 10*
                        ††

Comment

Damn, finally got it

Searching all night and all morning and finally found where it said to set up my "Interface Type" to "TAP" instead of "TUN". After I did that, I exported the config file and saved to my laptop. I then vpn again with new config from laptop and I can now see my homegroup and mapped drives. Don't really know what all that means, just read where someone mentioned that.

Thanks guys for helping out

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                            X