No announcement yet.

Sous vide steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang that is awesome. Need to look into this, wonder how some venison would come out

Comment

I was watching a few videos on this type of cooking and came a across this one. Yall should like how he sears it around the 7:40 mark, apparently he doesn't own a frying pan.

Comment

ha, that's pretty funny
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
          Yall should like how he sears it around the 7:40 mark, apparently he doesn't own a frying pan.
          Pretty common, and nothing wrong with it imo.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I didn't know if that was proper or not, I think I will stick with a pan or get the egg super hot.

Comment

Sweet another use for my torch...

Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                I didn't know if that was proper or not, I think I will stick with a pan or get the egg super hot.
                I don't do it personally, but I know Chefs that do for various reasons. I'll stick with a pan for the consistency, because I couldn't get that same consistency with a torch. It's not really "improper" is what I'm getting at. Different strokes, and all that.

Comment

So is it that much better than grilling taste wise? Or is it more of a convenience and lower risk of overcooking?

I want one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    So is it that much better than grilling taste wise? Or is it more of a convenience and lower risk of overcooking?

I want one!!!
                    I use a similar method called the reverse sear. I get my steak to about 100* on the grill using 225* heat and pull it off as my chimney is heating another batch of coals. I get the grill about 2" below the cooking grate and open up the intake and throw the steak back on. I rotate and flip constantly until the outside is sufficiently seared. It leaves me with a 125* internal temp and a terrific crust on the outside.

Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I want one!!!

The downside would be for people who like their steak grilled slow with some smoke. Since you're just searing it at the end, none of that flavor will make it into the steak.

The upside is it's perfectly cooked to an exact temp and it was the most tender steak I've ever had outside of a nice steakhouse. One thing I'm looking forward to is trying some top sirloin. That's all my wife eats as it has a good meaty flavor but it has always been too dry for me when grilled traditionally since it's a prety lean cut. That's why my go to is ribeyes. Since there is little moisture loss doing it in the water bath, I'm curious to see how the sirloin will come out.

On another note, Randalls (Tom Thumb) had choice porterhouses on sale this week for $5.99/lb. I cleaned up. Now I have a freezer full of strips and filets ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post

On another note, Randalls (Tom Thumb) had choice porterhouses on sale this week for $5.99/lb. I cleaned up. Now I have a freezer full of strips and filets ready to go.
                        Wow, that is cheap cut sirloin prices out here. I don't ever see porter house, but choice ribeye is usually $12-13 here.

Comment

I want one!!!
                          It all depends on how it's done. Like I said, if you vac seal the steak with a marinade, it goes deeper in to the meat. Even if it is only salt, pepper, and butter. But you could do herbs an butter, a red wine reduction, etc.

For the price of the anova, I highly recommend. And I recommend that style vs a sous vide supreme, because with the "stick" immersion circulator, you aren't limited to a certain size.

This is good for all proteins but fish. Fish has a weird texture after sous vide. Works really well with pork and chicken.

Comment

One interesting aspect of cooking chicken this way is being able to cook it at a lower optimum temperature. Most things I've read said the best temp for chicken is 140-145 degrees. By leaving it in the water bath for an extended time, it pasteurizes the chicken and makes it safe at that lower temp.

Comment

It all depends on how it's done. Like I said, if you vac seal the steak with a marinade, it goes deeper in to the meat. Even if it is only salt, pepper, and butter. But you could do herbs an butter, a red wine reduction, etc.

For the price of the anova, I highly recommend. And I recommend that style vs a sous vide supreme, because with the "stick" immersion circulator, you aren't limited to a certain size.

This is good for all proteins but fish. Fish has a weird texture after sous vide. Works really well with pork and chicken.
                              I may have to pick one of these up next time I have spare change and am not blowing it on kart stuff. $200 seems so cheap for something of this nature.

Comment

I may have to pick one of these up next time I have spare change and am not blowing it on kart stuff. $200 seems so cheap for something of this nature.
                                Order it before the 5th and get $50 off with FACEBOOK50 coupon code. Can't wait to test mine out next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X