Finished x99 5820k ddr4 guts swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abecx View Post
    Hell no, that managed hosting stuff is expensive. I save a ton of operations costs by doing it myself.

AWS costs for our platform is ~$15k a month, for me to run it is ~$1500. My self-employee cost is $15k a month but I dont just sit and watch servers, I also perform devOps, DBA, data warehousing, netezza and a ton more stuff which more than pays for itself. I'm a gold mine for any business that isnt a startup, or more specifically for any business that has leveled out on their top end and want to lower their operational costs. I also scale platforms properly, I dont throw hardware at issues, I help developers fix their code.

Hmm. Personally I never learned all that much about the server side. I asked because I knew of a guy who had a server room, and he was paid by ATT, iirc. I know it was one of the big phone companies. This was at his house. They paid him monthly to run these servers for him. No idea what he was actually doing for them. Always been curious about that sort of thing.

So maybe you could tell me, because you sound like you're on of these people. There are in fact plenty of people out there, who just dedicate a room of their house, to providing a server service for X company? Is this common, or rare?
    WH

Comment

My question is how much power does , say a 500 sq ft server room draw per month?
      sigpic

Comment

A bunch

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          Hmm. Personally I never learned all that much about the server side. I asked because I knew of a guy who had a server room, and he was paid by ATT, iirc. I know it was one of the big phone companies. This was at his house. They paid him monthly to run these servers for him. No idea what he was actually doing for them. Always been curious about that sort of thing.

So maybe you could tell me, because you sound like you're on of these people. There are in fact plenty of people out there, who just dedicate a room of their house, to providing a server service for X company? Is this common, or rare?
          There are data centers ( tons of them around Dallas ), you can rent rack space. a 48u rack typically costs about $1000 a month for power internet. If you need your own dedicated cage space, price start to go up as you are renting out a cage inside someones facility. Running stuff from your home is pretty antiquated, you can colo a single server for $50-$100 these days.

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
            My question is how much power does , say a 500 sq ft server room draw per month?
            It depends on the hardware, earlier this year I cleaned up about 32 racks worth of servers and consolidated them down to just 5 racks. How? Because of things like DDR4, I was able to shrink our footprint by increased our memory density.

Before I was paying about $16k on average per month in just fucking power. I believe in total it was about $25k a month total for the data center, plus another $20k a month in random costs ( bandwidth, redundancy, service contracts ). This was after I had already done some quick costs savings as for 2010-2014 the average monthly cost was a little moe than $100k a month.

After I came in and got a lay of the land, we were bought out and I implemented my vision of the future, we pay about $6k total including service contracts a month now. It will be ~$2k before the end of the year as I am moving these servers from LA to Dallas.

Here is a couple of before pictures, there was about 130 Dell 1950's, none of them had green power saving modes, so that mean every CPU ran full Ghz and never underclocked regardless of usage, that was the main culprit in our power consumption. The last picture is after, we want from 32 racks to 5. The empty rails in the last picture have some r610s in them now.

After:

Comment

I want what is in your brain.when you are done with it can I have it?
              sigpic

Comment

I guess I'll just take it whenever your done. Keep the cycle going.
                sigpic

Comment

anyone need case fans?

All these are about 2 months old and I switched to radiator optimized fans.

These are 20 new ill take 10.

I have 10x 120s and x2 140s left

they are 1500 RPM and push 80CFM!!

http://www.amazon.com/AeroCool-Cooli...ad+silence+fan
                  How loud are those fans? Do they sound like high pressure fans?
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    How loud are those fans? Do they sound like high pressure fans?
                    No they are not loud like a SP fan. They are very quiet. 85 cfm @1500 rpm. (23db)
                    Last edited by FunFordCobra; 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

So this is a business you are starting/have started
                      WH

Comment

no just old fans that I neeed to get rid of.
                        sigpic

Comment

No one?? These are great fans.. just not baller enough for me.

75+cfm @1500rpm very quiet. 4 blue leds on each.

Paid 20 each
                          Dfw discount 7 each will seperate.

sigpic

Comment

No one?? These are great fans.. just not baller enough for me.

75+cfm @1500rpm very quiet. 4 blue leds on each.

Paid 20 each
                            Dfw discount 7 each will seperate.

Can you disable the LED's?

Comment

yea just snip the wire.
                              sigpic

Comment

Know everyone is prolly tired of this but I made a window so my GPUs can see me while I'm playing.

I'm not digging the silver bolts. I'm gonna replace them with blacks at some point.
                                Also Installed my Kingston m.2. I could only afford the 240. I wanted the 500GB Sammy but I didn't have 400 to drop.

It does have 1400+ read and 1000 write so its not bad for a Kingston. Never used them before.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X