NFA Stats from Today's Meeting and Other Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFA Stats from Today's Meeting and Other Info

307,000 NFA Applications were processed. Last year there were 221,000. On track to receive about 400,000 forms for this year based on last years numbers. They are predicting 469,000 for this year because of ATF 41F (shout out to NFATCA).

Processing time is advertised as 6 months. In the last 5 weeks, they received 126,000 forms on top of the 90,000 they already have. 6 months now may be 8 or 9 months. Sorry guys. Just forget you ever submitted anything.

7,500 applications a week were received before 41F was announced. It doubled after the announcement of ATF 41F. It approached 35,000 in a single week closer to ATF 41F being implemented.

Alphonso said that the non-tax paid forms should be close to a 30 day processing time. He told his examiners to make that a priority.

They received several million dollar days in tax paid forms for the month of July. They cleared 11 million dollars in tax paid applications for the month of July.

They are looking to implement an electronic method for the submission of tax paid forms post 41F. Alphonso mentioned the possibility of electronic submission of the application and RP questionnaires with a matching barcode sheet to mail in the fingerprints.

NFA Branch is going to become a division with several branches within it to modernize the workflow. This is due to congressional oversight inquiries. They are looking for approval on paper in the first quarter of fiscal year 2017. Actual implementation in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Alphonso will be the Chief of the NFA Division.

I also asked the NFA Branch a number of questions during the round table discussion. Before attending the conference I asked members of AR15.com, other industry related forums, and on Facebook questions they had that they wanted answered. I received a number of good questions which I decided I would ask.

Does ATF intend to bring back eForms for Form 1 and Form 4s?

Sounds like due to funding the eForms system will just be maintained where it is, until there is funding to replace it. In other words…Beauracracy.

Is the NFA Branch still accepting corrections to forms submitted that had “non fatal” errors?

Yes. They are.

Does the NFA Branch have any procedures in place for forms which were submitted with credit card information that was rejected for wrong numbers, when the right number was listed on the form, particularly in light ATF 41F going into effect?

Not currently. That is something I am going to follow up with ATF about. I was alerted that it would likely need to be run through the NFA Branch counsel before I received an answer.

Does ATF prioritize Form 3 transfers? Is there any plans to “auto approve” Form 3 transfers using the eForms system after verifying the information on the form?

As stated earlier, the NFA branch is again prioritizing Form 3s. They are trying to process them within 30 days (that’s the goal). There is no plan for “auto approval”.

What constitutes a “fatal error” on a form?

A few examples I was given were 1) wrong serial number, 2) no serial number, 3) wrong address.

It’s that time of year again, the NSSF Import/Export Conference which is held in Washington, D.C. While the conference is designed to help educate companies about the import/export regulation…
Working...
X