Hb 1935

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hb 1935

Anyone else happy this passed? I know I am. It's currently waiting for Abbott's signature.

So HB 1935 passed last night and everybody's all excited. But what exactly does it do?

The original bill completely repealed all illegal knives. An amendment was added that says knives over 5.5" are location-restricted.

Despite the amendment, I still believe this is the strongest legislation passed this session that supports the right to keep and bear arms. So let's celebrate a victory for Texas!

Bottom line:
    Anyone can carry any knife anywhere as long as it is not over five and a half inches.* Most people can carry longer knives most places.

Rules for knives over 5.5":
    - Don't carry them in prohibited places (schools, polling places, courthouses, airports past security, racetracks, places of execution, 51%, sporting events, correctional facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, mental hospitals, amusement parks, churches/synogogues/established places of worship). Penalty: class C misdemeanor except schools are 3rd-degree felony

- Don't sell, rent, lease, loan, or give them (or offer to do any of those things) to anyone under 18 without parent's written permission (for selling) or effective consent (for anything besides selling). Penalty: Class A misdemeanor

- If you're under 18, you may not carry them outside of your home, property, or a motor vehicle/watercraft owned by you and under your control (or directly enroute to the motor vehicle or watercraft), unless you're under a parent or legal guardian's direct supervision. Penalty: class C misdemeanor

The bill will go into effect September 1st, 2017.

*This is according to state law and does not repeal TSA or federal restrictions.

Is that blade length 5.5" or entire length?

Comment

I am very happy but it did not go far enough. They should have repealed every damn one of the laws regarding prohibited weapons in TX. I have a collection of Randall Made knives and will start carrying one as soon as I can figure out how to do it comfortably.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        Is that blade length 5.5" or entire length?
        Blade length. From the 'amendment':

(6)
        "Location-restricted [Illegal] knife" means a[:
        [(A)] knife with a blade over five and one-half inches[;

Comment

All knife laws are dumb. But I don't carry a knife so...

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            Blade length. From the 'amendment':

(6)

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...HB01935H21.HTM
            Thanks, Chili. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into one of my son's school events and forgot about a lock blade I had in my pocket. For some reason I always forget about the knife and have to head back to the parking lot for "something I forgot." This will make that easy. Now if they can just go back to letting me carry one on a plane.

Comment

Unless I am going through a metal detector, I typically have a pocket knife. Usually sub 3" blade though.

Comment

One of the good things about Alaska, schools don't even blink an eye at knives being carried. The last gun show they had up here was in the elementary school gym lol!

Comment

Unless I am going through a metal detector, I typically have a pocket knife. Usually sub 3" blade though.
                  I always have a knife on me, and people say I'm paranoid. The same one's are always asking to borrow my knife when I'm near....

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    I always have a knife on me, and people say I'm paranoid. The same one's are always asking to borrow my knife when I'm near....
                    I hear ya there. I keep a spare in the toolbar in the vehicle too. It's like any other tool. A man needs tools.

Comment

You can't trust a man that doesn't carry a pocket knife.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                        A man needs tools.
                        I bury my friends with tools.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          It's just a tool, nothing else.. And I use mine every single day. Granted, it's for nothing exciting. Some days it may just be to open a letter or box, another day I just may use it to trim a fingernail. lol

Comment

It's just a tool, nothing else.. And I use mine every single day. Granted, it's for nothing exciting. Some days it may just be to open a letter or box, another day I just may use it to trim a fingernail. lol
                            All of those things or to cut/strip wire, screwdriver, pry open something...I travel a lot, and it sucks not having a knife daily when you're used to it. I just don't like to check bags.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              All of those things or to cut/strip wire, screwdriver, pry open something...I travel a lot, and it sucks not having a knife daily when you're used to it. I just don't like to check bags.
                              Oh yeah, that does suck and I rarely check bags. One of the reasons I always drive to Houston when visiting the home office is to avoid having to leave 'things' behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X