Need a new laptop, Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new laptop, Mac?

I need a new laptop, I've always had IBM types with windows. Thinking of trying a Mac. I don't want play games, or watch movies on a laptop, just need a computer to surf the net, email, etc. I hear Macs are more user friendly, and more virus resistant. Opinions?

Those are some very basic needs to drop MacMoney on.
    Sounds like a regular $400 or less laptop would do everything you want.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      Agreed, that being said, I think you’ll love a Mac. Windows drives me nuts now.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
        I have found refurbed Macs at Best Buy for $319. I just have no Mac experience.

Comment

The mac's on the best buy site for that price are old white original mac books core 2 duo with 2gb of memory and were released new in 2009.

The macbook airs are good units but going to spend a lot more than 320.

To get anything decent from even that bestbuy site looks like $650 before you get to anything semi modern.
          2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
          1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Shit, a $100 Android tablet will do what he's looking to do. Lol!

Comment

If you already have a monitor take a look at the Mac Mini. It's more than capable of doing everything you described and is considerably less expensive than buying one of their all in ones.

They do build a good product and yes they are reliable but so is just about everything on the market these days. The cheapest all in one Mac will be around $1000 and that'll be with an I-5 processor. For $300 less you can get a similarly spec'd HP product but with a 3" larger screen, double the hard drive size and it'll be a touch screen.

Comment

Get an intel nuc and put hackintosh on it, or run linux mint. For what you're doing that would be your cheapest and best bet unless you want a used Mac Mini.

Comment

Nice thing about a mac is that it will hold up. When I use a PC, windows tends to make me pick it up and throw it across the room, so I am spending much more on hardware in the long run.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                    Nice thing about a mac is that it will hold up. When I use a PC, windows tends to make me pick it up and throw it across the room, so I am spending much more on hardware in the long run.
                    Lol that sounds more like an anger management issue than a computer issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      This is very true. I've had to do a fresh install on my Mac's, but only after 5 years of use, and thats development use with a bunch of random shit installed outside the default package manager. I really like my macbooks, they are solid and well built and work well with all my other iOs devices.

Comment

Macs are nice machines but you should spend at least 650 on a refurb unless you want a 5+ year old machine. Also they aren't perfect so you'll have the same hardware issues with them too.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          Macs are nice machines but you should spend at least 650 on a refurb unless you want a 5+ year old machine. Also they aren't perfect so you'll have the same hardware issues with them too.
                          Honestly with how powerful machines are, this isnt really too much of a negative. My Macbook Pro is mid-2012 and I dont see any reason to upgrade it anytime soon. My wifes macbook air is also 2012 and runs just fine. As long as you get one with an SSD it should be great.

Comment

Another problem with getting a Mac, you will wonder why in the hell you didn't get one sooner, may lead to depression, all those years wasted on a PC.

Comment

I went PC-Mac-and back to a PC. I have an HP Spectre i7, 2 in 1, 15.6" and am really glad I went back to PC. I just never was a fan of the Mac file structure and set up. I liked the iMessage feature - when I had an iPhone. When I didn't it was a waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X