Nervous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous

Okay, I had my first anxiety attack yesterday in years. I got sick to my stomach because, after 4 years, the VA finally decided to hear an appeal of mine on a case I filed in 2013. February 2013. In 2005, before I was medicated and all of that, when I wasn't sleeping, was seeing walls bleed and fun stuff, I was divorced. I sent the VA all of my paperwork but since I was homeless, I didn't think to do certified mail. After that, I didn't think anything of it.

Just over a year later, I got married, got cleaned up, treated and sent in my marriage license, certified and thought I was good to go. Life was okay, rolling along....Then comes 2013. The VA calls and says "We noticed you're not married to your ex."

"Right. You have a copy of my divorce decree and marriage license."

"No, we don't."

"Yes, I see on DEERS my wife is in the system as my spouse."

"Both of them are in the system as your spouse."

"That makes no sense."

"We don't really care. You owe us 13k in over payment, we're going to withdraw it all at once."

This went back and forth until I negotiated down to just about $200 a month repayment while I appealed. I took out a personal loan and tried to hand them cash to pay it off only to be told it was impossible for me to pay, it had to come out of my benefits so....I owed a debt that I could not pay off.

Fast forward, I have gone to every VSO from VFW to DAV only to be told "Drop it, no one wins these, just pay what they say and walk away." Except I can't. It's not in me to give up a fight. That brings me to tomorrow and yesterday's panic attack

Tomorrow morning (I leave here at 2 am), I have to be at the Waco Regional Center a 830 ("Be here an hour before or you forfeit") to go to a hearing they have told me they purposely overbook ("Prepare to sit for several hours, we overbook these hearings") in a room that nowhere online I can find what building it's in or what room it's in, facing a VA judge and VA attorneys arguing .... by myself. It's daunting.

If I medicate to take the edge off, I lose the speed of my thought process and clarity of thought but if I don't, I run the risk of not being able to catch my thoughts and my anger getting out of hand and me throwing things and having another issue of my last time at the VA medicated (I threw a desk). My binder with my case is in the truck, my cane is in the truck, the vehicle is gassed and ready, I'm going to bed at 7 so I have time to sleep off my ambien and the GPS is plugged in but...

Damn this is going to be hard. I thought I'd share with yall because you guys have gotten to be family.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Crossing my fingers and saying a prayer for you, Frost. The good fight is clearly inside you, so be cool and calculated, just like a good solider. You got this!

Comment

I'll keep you in my prayers and I hope it all goes well.

Comment

Frost > bureaucrats

Best wishes to you Frost, you've got this!

Comment

best of luck!
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

It's easy to see I'm nervous in my writing isn't it? Here's a kicker, I certified mailed them a document in 2015 and tracked it. After it was signed for, I called and verified they had it.

The person on the phone said "Nope, don't have it."

"I have a tracking number."

"It's not here."

"X signed for it."

"Doesn't matter, not here."

"Dude, it was signed for, by X on this date."

"Oooh...here it is. It was filed wrong."

Comment

You're in our prayers Frost.

You got this...

Comment

Never give up, that's what they want. You already know how the system works, keep playing their game, Frost...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Best of luck!!

Comment

Your wife going with you? Hopefully having someone else there would help.

Comment

Jim, you've got this. You're prepared, and you're right. Just keep both of those thoughts in your head.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Good luck man!

Comment

Just for clarification, I'm reading that the VA overpaid you based on your status as being married (for about a year) when you had actually been single?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            Your wife going with you? Hopefully having someone else there would help.
                            No, she's staying home with the boys. I thought it would be torture to the boys (3 and 6) to be stuck in the VA sitting in a hallway waiting for a hearing for hours undetermined with other vets who are under similar stress. It's just me tomorrow going solo.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                              Just for clarification, I'm reading that the VA overpaid you based on your status as being married (for about a year) when you had actually been single?
                              Yes. And I told them I had no problem with paying that, to go ahead and take that money from my pay and no problem. It's the other 8.5 years that they want that I have an issue with.

Comment

Working...
                              X