Water damaged XD Compact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water damaged XD Compact

So as some of you know I was on a kayak trip and the river flooded on us forcing us to egress and abandon our equipment. My XD compact was recovered but sat soaking for close to two weeks and got pretty beat up. It took me four hours of some serious scrubbing and cleaning just to get a majority of the rust off and even then I still will need to take apart the lower and get the rust off. After I got it clean I tried putting it back together but the slide will no move all the way to the rear (to take it down the slide comes forward off of the rail, you have to pull the slide all the way back to the rear most detent to get it back on all the way). The slide catches on something right at the point that the barrel starts to move up. Any ideas?

For the life of me I cannot figure out why. While I believe the barrel will shoot, it is fairly pitted, I know this thing will never be as accurate as it was with that barrell. The outside is a bit pitted as well. The only other thing I can think of that would cause this is maybe the spring. Would it even be worth it to start throwing new parts at it? Would you guys trust a gun that has been sitting in water like that? At this point I am debating just calling it and getting a new fire arm, a small part of me thinks this would be a good time to upgrade with a better trigger, barrel etc, just dont know if the gun can hang. Will post pics later when I get home.

You can get a brand new subcompact cheap as fuck right now. Tell your favorite dealer that Davidson's is blowing them out, and to order you one.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

After buying all new parts you'd only be $100-$150 away from a new one. Not worth the work IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        You can get a brand new subcompact cheap as fuck right now. Tell your favorite dealer that Davidson's is blowing them out, and to order you one.
        orly?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          Davidsons?

Yeah I'm starting to lean more towards just buying a new or used fire arm. Just wish I could figure out this stupid slide issue. If I could get that working a new barrel is 150. Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
            Davidsons?

Yeah I'm starting to lean more towards just buying a new or used fire arm. Just wish I could figure out this stupid slide issue. If I could get that working a new barrel is 150. Hmmmm
            They're a distributor. You have to have your dealer order one for you.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Shoulda had a Glock?
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Everyone know's Glock steel don't rust.

Comment

How far have you taken the gun down? Have you pulled the frame out of the lower?
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                    Shoulda had a Glock?
                    Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    Everyone know's Glock steel don't rust.
                    Church...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

What are they going for yale. I regret getting rid of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        How far have you taken the gun down? Have you pulled the frame out of the lower?
                        Eh I'm not a huge fan of Glocks honestly.

No I have not taken apart the lower, Need to get an illustrated parts takedown and some tools for that. Used some "Powder Blast" rem oil, Hoppes no 8 and a lot of elbow grease. Got it pretty clean and it function checks, but I do need to find a gunsmith or take it down myself.

Comment

Maybe give SA a call and see what they have to say about it? Maybe send it to them and possible get it done for free if you tell them the whole story.

Comment

I was thinking that to jose. You never know what they will say until you ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              Maybe give SA a call and see what they have to say about it? Maybe send it to them and possible get it done for free if you tell them the whole story.
                              Thats not a bad idea, although I tried this with Canon and Cabelas to no avial lol. Never hurts to ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X