X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache and Blackhawk slaying it

Amazing machines.

Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Daaaaaaamn! You have any that I can put on layaway?

Comment

Didn't realize they were still flying the Loach.

Comment

I've seen that footage before.

I can't imagine the pants-shitting fear from being near the receiving end of that.

Comment

Actually, there were no Apaches in that video. That was all Blackhawks and Loaches gettin it done.
          After I fired a minigun from a helo the first time, I decided then and there that I could die happy, no matter what.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

So what is the weapons load on the Blackhawk? Obviously miniguns and 2.5 rocket pods, but what was the larger caliber gun that was being fired?

Comment

There is an apache in the video Scott.

Comment

I just watched it again. I didn't see any. Just multiple passes by one or more MH-60 K or L models, and Little Bird(s) in the second segment. If there were any Apaches, they weren't shooting, which would be weird.
                Great video nonetheless.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by elPolloLoco View Post
                  So what is the weapons load on the Blackhawk? Obviously miniguns and 2.5 rocket pods, but what was the larger caliber gun that was being fired?
                  All I saw was miniguns and 2.75" rockets. The sounds of the minigun rounds impacting may have been confused with a larger caliber weapon. They have a very distinct sound.
                  Those model Blachawks typically carry 2 door mounted miniguns, and two rocket pods. They can mount other small arms, but usually don't. The M134/GAU 17 is a reliable and devastating system for CAS.
                  Last edited by helosailor; 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

You didn't hear and see the 20mm of the Apache?

Comment

The best experience flying I've ever had was riding with a nam vet loach pilot.

Cool video.

Comment

Sure sounds like 2 different weapons to me. You can see the impact of the tracers right after you hear the minigun. Then there's a thump thump thump of a larger round that's sending out fragments when it hits and that's well after the minigun. I was just assuming he never actually showed the Apache and that was the 30mm with dual purpose rounds doing work.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                          You didn't hear and see the 20mm of the Apache?
                          They have a 30mm.
                          Originally posted by elPolloLoco View Post
                          Sure sounds like 2 different weapons to me. You can see the impact of the tracers right after you hear the minigun. Then there's a thump thump thump of a larger round that's sending out fragments when it hits and that's well after the minigun. I was just assuming he never actually showed the Apache and that was the 30mm with dual purpose rounds doing work.
                          What you guys are thinking is the sound of a different gun is the sound of the minigun rounds impacting. Look at the timing of the rounds impacting and the sound. I've heard the sound of all of those rounds impacting, and those are the unmistakable sights and sounds of several thousand 7.62x51 rounds per minute impacting. 20mm and 30mm have a more pronounced thud.
                          Also, the H-60 and the AH-64 have a VERY different rotor sound. I never once heard Apache rotors.
                          Last, but not least, that was an operation conducted by the Night Stalkers (160th SOAR), and they don't fly Apaches.

Comment

Here's another video of the Night Stalkers making gun runs with the MH-60L

Comment

I just felt my dick move...

What's the back story on this? When and where? Glad those guys in those machines are on our side.
                              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Working...
                              X