Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here work for GM or at a GM dealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here work for GM or at a GM dealer?

So, I'm looking for a hookup. Since my GMC still hasn't been recovered (not that I expect it to) I'm waiting for some decent weather to pull the engine from my 07 Sierra.

I figured I can save a ton of time by just buying a crate engine. I called the local GM dealer and they quoted $5,800 for a 5.3l long block. Only thing I didn't ask was if this included a core charge.

If I had to ballpark, I'd say rebuilding this one will cost me a minimum of $3,000.

Anyone have the hookup?

GM doesn't build reman engines regardless of what anyone tells you. They contract out the work to places like ATK, AER and SRC. Assuming it's an LC9 they are a little tough to get but most places will sell you a reman long block for under $3k that's probably exactly the same engine the dealer quoted you.

Note that a Goodwrench engine does have a few benefits but they aren't worth $2400 more. You can take it to any GM dealer in the country and have warranty work performed and they'll pay the shop warranty rate. With an AER one you'll get $50 an hour. With an ATK you can pay extra for their no fault warranty and it'll pay more but I'm not familiar with their current policies.

I'd recommend shopping Summit, Jegs and LKQ for the best deal. That and it wouldn't hurt to call up Scoggin Dickey to see what they might have.

Comment

need a vin # for a price every 5.3 we have done GM wanted the core back

Comment

or the last 8 if you are worried about giving the whole number out

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          GM doesn't build reman engines regardless of what anyone tells you. They contract out the work to places like ATK, AER and SRC. Assuming it's an LC9 they are a little tough to get but most places will sell you a reman long block for under $3k that's probably exactly the same engine the dealer quoted you.

Note that a Goodwrench engine does have a few benefits but they aren't worth $2400 more. You can take it to any GM dealer in the country and have warranty work performed and they'll pay the shop warranty rate. With an AER one you'll get $50 an hour. With an ATK you can pay extra for their no fault warranty and it'll pay more but I'm not familiar with their current policies.

I'd recommend shopping Summit, Jegs and LKQ for the best deal. That and it wouldn't hurt to call up Scoggin Dickey to see what they might have.
          Thanks man. I'll check them out. Looks like Scoggin Dickey has some decent prices. Hopefully shipping isn't too bad.

Originally posted by 69gto View Post
          need a vin # for a price every 5.3 we have done GM wanted the core back
          Thanks. The last eight... FG386040. I'll have a core once I swap the accessories.

Comment

Working...
          X