School me on Enfields...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Enfields...

I just took one in on trade for a TV I posted on CL. The guy told me all about, etc (not that I can remember half of it). 1916, .303, been re-arsenaled a couple times, hex barrel. I'll post pics soon. Any idea on a ball park on what it's worth? It is by no means a museum piece...definitely looks like it's been used.

Comment

Lithgow guns usually do for a bit more than your typical Lee Enfields because of rarity. In that shape you are at $300 or so.

Keep in mind I am no expert and this is entirely a guesstimate. Depending on bore condition and matching numbers the gun could be worth more or less.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Nice old Aussie rifle. It looks to be all there and no one has bubba'ed it up. As far as value goes, I think Dohcter is spot on.

Comment

Cool, we traded a 4yo 46" Sony LCD for it. He included an Enfield specific "no drill" picatinny rail and a cheap (AIM Sports) red dot. Figure I'll throw the red dot on my AR for no other reason than "why not..it was free."

My wife has decided she really likes the old thing so we're just going to keep it. He said he shot it just a couple weeks ago so we might as well go pick up a box of rounds and see how she runs!

Comment

It will kick like a mule, you'll both hate it. I'll be a buddy and take it off your hands for $300.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

When you shoot it be sure to clean it immediately after. Most of the cheap ammo has semi corrosive primers and can quickly rust this old steel.

I am no expert on Enfields but I can tell you what a few of the markings mean.

The shield with Lithgow written in it means it is a Mark III ,made in 1916 at the Lithgow factory in New South Wales Australia. The star with the A in it also means Australia.
              The Australia .303 mark is the importers mark, probably from the late fifties or sixties. Later imports had the name of the importer on them as well.

1943 on the buttstock means the was probably replaced then.

MA/51 means it was refinished in 1951 at Lithgow. I think MA VI and MA VII are also factory markings but not totally sure. The rest are armorers markings from the regiment(s) it was issued to.

An Internet search on several milsurps boards will turn up the all the details.

Comment

If you own an old Enfield, a must watch movie is Breaker Moran.

Comment

Very nice, dohctor is right on the value, but there are those who will pay more.

Comment

Great. Sounds like a fair deal all around. My wife loves it so that's the biggest thing. Headed to buy some ammo for it shortly.

Comment

Hopefully it took down it's share of Germans/Japs. If only rifles could talk...

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                        Hopefully it took down it's share of Germans/Japs. If only rifles could talk...
                        No shit. I'd love to know what my M1917, M1 Garand and Mosin Nagant went through, if anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X