No announcement yet.

2017 Lawn Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be sure to rake some of that dirt down away from the foundation. You want 4-6" minimum from the bottom of the brick to top of the sod, if possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      Be sure to rake some of that dirt down away from the foundation. You want 4-6" minimum from the bottom of the brick to top of the sod, if possible

It should sink quite a bit.. it's dry and I haven't tamped it yet..
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Does anyone have a sod guy? I'm needing a bid or 2
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Depending on how much you need, you may be better off to just call a sod farm and see what you can buy it by the pallet for. Unless you are looking for someone to deliver and lay it. In that case, shoot me a message

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Depending on how much you need, you may be better off to just call a sod farm and see what you can buy it by the pallet for. Unless you are looking for someone to deliver and lay it. In that case, shoot me a message
            I want 2 pallets delivered.. neither areas get a lot of sun so I guess I'll get st Augustine.. good call.. I'll call some local sod farms
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

• I put down 2 pallets of sod to see how far it would go. It didn't go far. LOL

sigpic

Comment

• i spent about 3hrs on Saturday pulling foxtail weeds from my front yard. this shit is insane. i had NONE last year, this year it has been trying to take over my front yard. I've treated it with bayer weed and feed, but it did nothing. i'm assuming because it hasn't been warm enough yet. funny thing is it is only on one side of my front lawn, other the other side of the sidewalk that goes up to the house there is none. any tips to beat this stuff are appreciated!!!

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  i spent about 3hrs on Saturday pulling foxtail weeds from my front yard. this shit is insane. i had NONE last year, this year it has been trying to take over my front yard. I've treated it with bayer weed and feed, but it did nothing. i'm assuming because it hasn't been warm enough yet. funny thing is it is only on one side of my front lawn, other the other side of the sidewalk that goes up to the house there is none. any tips to beat this stuff are appreciated!!!
                  I'm surprised that the Bayer W&F didn't work. Did you read the instructions, your supposed to let it sit for 24 hrs before watering. You can smell it working, I'm assuming it melts away in the first 24 and starts killing the weeds and unwanted grasses. Then when you water it releases the rest of the chemicals.
                  My back yard was very bad, it looked like an over grown creek bed, some weeds were 2 ft tall. My lawn guy scalped and laid down the Bayer, I waited and watered a day later and no more weeds. It is taken a little longer for the bermuda to come back, but its taking hold now with all this rain we've been getting and no weeds...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                    i spent about 3hrs on Saturday pulling foxtail weeds from my front yard. this shit is insane. i had NONE last year, this year it has been trying to take over my front yard. I've treated it with bayer weed and feed, but it did nothing. i'm assuming because it hasn't been warm enough yet. funny thing is it is only on one side of my front lawn, other the other side of the sidewalk that goes up to the house there is none. any tips to beat this stuff are appreciated!!!

god bless.
                    Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    I'm surprised that the Bayer W&F didn't work. Did you read the instructions, your supposed to let it sit for 24 hrs before watering. You can smell it working, I'm assuming it melts away in the first 24 and starts killing the weeds and unwanted grasses. Then when you water it releases the rest of the chemicals.
                    My back yard was very bad, it looked like an over grown creek bed, some weeds were 2 ft tall. My lawn guy scalped and laid down the Bayer, I waited and watered a day later and no more weeds. It is taken a little longer for the bermuda to come back, but its taking hold now with all this rain we've been getting and no weeds...
                    It all depends on whether he used granules or liquid (if that product is offered in both forms)

Granule needs to be applied while the grass is damp. If the granules to not stick to the weeds, they won't really work. Liquid, of course, is a different story.

I put down scotts turf builder with weed and feed. It actually did a number on several of my smaller crab grass stands. I went at it last week with a double strength dose of MSMA which knocked out a bit more crab grass. Mowed yesterday, and i'll spray again after the rain tomorrow and hopefully it knocks some more of it out. It should be a bit more effective now with the higher daytime temps

Comment

• 1 pallet covers 450 sq ft

Comment

• Originally posted by zemog View Post
                        1 pallet covers 450 sq ft
                        I tilled again today and I'll till once more tomorrow and I have 2 pallets of palmetto st Augustine coming Thursday.. do you suggest anything I should mix in with the dirt before putting down the sod? Is there bags of compost from Home Depot or something I could put down in my broadcast spreader?
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

• You should be fine to just lay it. Water it in 1-2 times daily for 2 weeks and you should be good to go

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            I tilled again today and I'll till once more tomorrow and I have 2 pallets of palmetto st Augustine coming Thursday.. do you suggest anything I should mix in with the dirt before putting down the sod? Is there bags of compost from Home Depot or something I could put down in my broadcast spreader?
                            Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            You should be fine to just lay it. Water it in 1-2 times daily for 2 weeks and you should be good to go

Emphasis on Should. I layed some sod last fall that didn't take. Albeit, I probably didn't water as much as I should have.

This time around (just a few weeks ago), I applied this to the soil then the sod. I also made sure to wet the soil and the underside of the sod.

Results this time around are excellent. Just mowed last week for the 1st time and reapplied the Scott's.

If you want to go the extra mile.. I applied a layer of Silver Creek Materials Premium Soil Mix https://www.silvercreekmaterials.com/#soil-mixes. Good Luck
                            Last edited by hxbernal; 05-02-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• I'm sure going that extra step will increase the chances of the sod taking, but I can assure you, it is not necesaary. I have 60+ yards installed a year and all we do is water regularly!

Comment

• Thanks guys for the input.. I've tilled and tilled and tilled this fill dirt to where it's pretty fine (still the occasional big chunk but way better than the last photos I posted) raked as much grass as I could out of it, got it pretty darn level and just watered).. sod will be here around noon tomorrow.. and I'll be getting straight to it.. I'll buy some turf starter tonight and put it down too.. I'm super pumped! Not about putting down the sod tomorrow, but being done with this back breaking project!!!! haha
                                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X