Can ya help a dog out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can ya help a dog out

One of my dogs woke up with no ability to use her rear legs yesterday morning. Everything was normal before. Vet took xrays and saw some issue with lower vertebrae. Then recommended an MRI. She gave rough estimate of 2k going to a place in arlington. Hate to ask,but any tips for affordable care for my pooch. Shes alert and still in good spirits at least. Hard to see her like this. Just last week she was nursing a stray cat my girlfriend found. I was worried she might contract something,but blood work looked good.

cedar hill veterinary is usually very good on price.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Appreciate response. I just got home for lunch and my sister kidnapped my dog and took her in while I was at work . So long cowskin rug savings

Comment

Good luck man.

David

Comment

How old is the dog? This same thing happened to my pug when i was a kid. He went to bed fine and woke up and was basically paralyzed on back legs. Wasn't in any pain at all and was still in a good mood but couldn't physically function very well. Took him to the vet and they said he needed to be put down (he was 15 if i remember correctly). They said it could have been anything maybe even a sneeze and it somehow severed his spinal cord there.

Comment

Damn! Hope she ends up okay. I'd be devastated, but would probably get one of those contraptions with wheels so they can run around again. I'd put a soft suspension and big knobby tires on it, maybe some paw lights for walking at night. Tow hooks just in case. Make the best of it if that's all you can do.

Comment

It appears she has a something putting pressure on her spinal cord in the vertebrae canal and signs of leaking spinal fluid. Shes only 6 and they think shes at an age where she may be able to take it. Surgery tomorrow and crossing fingers.
              Been looking around shop and garage for materials to make a rear leg cart in case. I'm really gonna be sad that she will be FWD then.

Comment

I hope your dog pulls through. I'm currently dealing with our 8yr old (terrier of some kind) contracting kennel cough. One visit down and $150 later they gave her a 10 day supply of some pill, and an anti inflammatory shot with no relief so far. I can't say I'd go so far as to spend thousands of $$ on a pet.

Comment

Good luck with the surgery.

Comment

Find someone with a 3 D printer and they can print you a dog wheelchair if you need it. There are open source plans out there.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      Find someone with a 3 D printer and they can print you a dog wheelchair if you need it. There are open source plans out there.
                      CJ,you listening? I have ideas but hoping for the best. Surgery been going on a few hours late. Cant even visit for 24 hrs afterwards. Thanks for well wishes

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                        I hope your dog pulls through. I'm currently dealing with our 8yr old (terrier of some kind) contracting kennel cough. One visit down and $150 later they gave her a 10 day supply of some pill, and an anti inflammatory shot with no relief so far. I can't say I'd go so far as to spend thousands of $$ on a pet.
                        I feel your pain. The wife and I have a agreed upon amount thats up there but not crazy. Her parents said 10k per dog.

Mastiff is 11 yo and has stopped eating sort of. She also has been losing footing a lot and too dumb to stay on the rug path. Blood work last year was fine and she still looks good. I think maybe a tooth issue. Bitch was sucking up dry food mixed with wet and spitting out the hard stuff. Every time I get a great mobile Vet they disappear in a year. This week two said they don't go to Hachie/ RO area and I left a message for one out of Irving tonight so we shall see. Would be like loading a old busted horse in your truck. I did buy 7 more rugs tonight. Wife agrees though, it could be any day now.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Easy fix. Put the dog down and get another one.

Comment

Surgery went well. Hope to see her later today.
                            I guess if you're used to seeng people die all the time,a dog is no issue.

Comment

Good luck. Just put our 15yo boxer down last month. Hard to do, but quality of life is a hard question. Some people don't get it. These are 4 legged kids to some of us.
                              Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                              There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X