Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Nagin: Houston Mayor Told People NOT To Evacuate – Now, Panic…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a problem with it either way.

Abbott was correct in telling people that "you don't want to put yourself in a situation where you could be subject to a search and rescue."

On the other hand, Turner is also correct in that "Chaotic 2005 traffic with Hurricane Rita lurking was tragic."

The issue, as I see it, is that the Texas coast is unprepared to evacuate the population that lives there in the event of a mass disaster. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. And if we're playing the numbers, it likely makes more sense to have people off the roads and in their houses.

I have a friend that lives in Houston and he took his family to DFW on Thursday. Their neighborhood is a flooded disaster but he's dry and safe. It doesn't matter if you're a genius or a partisan hack. Take a look at the satellite imagery and USE YOUR FUCKING BRAIN. They were talking about this storm for over a week. Pay attention and be prepared. That's all you can do.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      On the other hand, Turner is also correct in that "Chaotic 2005 traffic with Hurricane Rita lurking was tragic."

The issue, as I see it, is that the Texas coast is unprepared to evacuate the population that lives there in the event of a mass disaster. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. And if we're playing the numbers, it likely makes more sense to have people off the roads and in their houses.
      Exactly, the infrastructure is not there to move everyone in such a short period of time. People should have been leaving earlier.

When Rita happened I had family leave and the traffic was a nightmare, several gas stations out of fuel and people leaving cars on the side of the road that where out of gas.
      1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
      1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
      2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

You'll never evacuate a city that large based on so many unpredictable forecast. By the time a forecast is accurate it's too late. People either leave at their will or stay on their own decisions. You'd have to evacuate weeks before the storm hit and hope your shit isn't stolen if it doesn't get flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          That last big storm a few years ago was a traffic jam for a hundred miles. My family tried to leave, but didnt get anywhere and turned around back home.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...ad-to-nowhere/
          Exactly. He even said that he was all too familiar with the challenges (and failures) of previous evacuations. Political leaning aside, he made a tough call, but I think think the right call. He seems to be a really sharp guy, and is making the best of a horrible situation.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

This is actually a pretty good illustration of what is wrong in our country. 1) people are under educated. 2). Everyone expects the govt to solve all their problems. 3) the govt is so indebt and inept our infrastructure is 3rd world and getting worse. 4). Assholes in the govt don't solve problems just blame others.

It's the Roman Empire v2.0.

Remember it is ultimately up to you to take care of your family and friends.

Comment

they knew days ahead where the flooding would happen. here' a hint , if you live on a bayou or in low lying areas get the hell out. the whole city does not have to evac.

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by sc281 View Post

Comment

Working...
                X