30K and new cylinder head-WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30K and new cylinder head-WTF

Wife's 2016 Edge 2.0 Eco boost with 30K miles. Starts with a few rough starts and finally throws a check engine with P00302 (misfire on Cylinder 2).

I take it in and they first replace COP and then week later the injector on #2. Symptoms persist which are only a rough cold start otherwise car runs strong with no other issues.

Dealership is telling me it needs new Cylinder head which is covered under warranty but I'm still struggling with the diagnosis and resolution.

Does anyone concur with this?
    Service writer can't give me an decent explanation to what or why and generally they don't know their head from their ass.

Maybe it’s direct injection related
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Valve issue most likely.

Comment

You take it in with complaint. The dealership diagnoses the problem and say they will repair under warranty. I guess i dont understand your issue?

Comment

The alternative is to send the head out for repairs which will take several more days than installing a completely new one. That and Ford probably wants that one back to see what actually went wrong. I've seen a few 5.4s with cracks just behind the valve seat, they only leak when hot so most machine shops won't even find it.

Comment

Originally posted by broke again View Post
            You take it in with complaint. The dealership diagnoses the problem and say they will repair under warranty. I guess i dont understand your issue?
            Just questioning it overall and trying to understand the complete cylinder head replacement when maybe only a valve issue at #2.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
              Just questioning it overall and trying to understand the complete cylinder head replacement when maybe only a valve issue at #2.
              Very low compression caused by a vale missing a V shaped chunk or a burned out valve seat will cause a miss fire.

Techs at dealers do not try to fix parts; they just replace parts with new ones.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

It's a known issue on the 1.6 and 2.0 ecoboost motors

My father in laws 1.6 pops under cold start, head gasket has a leak and throws a code for coolant pressure sensor

Did you try Google searching it. Ford has been peddling shit cars for years

Stay the fuck away from anything American made front wheel drive

Selling auto parts I see mass amounts of fusions, escapes, focuses, with electrical gremlins from hell and transmissions that chew axles for breakfast. Add into the electric power steering motors failing and yeah
                Last edited by 4king; 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

The direct injected engines also have EGR, and it gums up the valves. Under warranty, they are replacing heads.

The newer ECOBOOST engines are getting an injector in the intake track to wash the valves.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                    Stay the fuck away from anything American made front wheel drive.
                    Its a rule everyone should know. Been that way for decades.
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      The direct injected engines also have EGR, and it gums up the valves. Under warranty, they are replacing heads.

The newer ECOBOOST engines are getting an injector in the intake track to wash the valves.
                      Google the service procedure on BMW's that have DI...CRAZY. best thing you can do on a DI car is to get rid of EGR and PCV the day you buy it. without fuel to clean the backside of the valves, you're fucked!!!!

SOooooooOOOOO glad both of our SRT dodges are still old school fuel injected.

Comment

Working...
                      X