Lets talk laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk laptops

We are to the point with our business that we need to upgrade our work stations.

What are must have items for laptops now days? I've been eyeing the ASUS vivo with Ryzen 7, 12GB ram, 512 GB SSD for $600.

We do a lot of graphic design, and keep multiple browser windows open. Storage is also a must have.

Would like to stay in the $600 range and want the most for our money.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Upgrade ram. There are SSD for extra storage.

Comment

Can you link the Asus you're referring to, please?

Comment

Comment

Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

Comment

If you're intent is to use these for business and will be doin intensive work with them, avoid the ultrabook-thin&light chassis models altogether. They're not designed with cooling efficiency in mind and very well could have the potential of the cpu hindered by design.

I really think you're gonna have a hard time finding something to meet your preferences, in that price range. Are you opposed to regular desktop(s) or is there a space constraint that prevent you from goin that route?

Look at this chart to see what I mean, the red and black lines are the same cpu, but the red is the Asus thin&light style design and it throttles the shit out of the cpu. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-V...zen-5-notebook
            Last edited by Tx Redneck; 05-31-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              If you're intent is to use these for business and will be doin intensive work with them, avoid the ultrabook-thin&light chassis models altogether. They're not designed with cooling efficiency in mind and very well could have the potential of the cpu hindered by design.

I really think you're gonna have a hard time finding something to meet your preferences, in that price range. Are you opposed to regular desktop(s) or is there a space constraint that prevent you from goin that route?

Look at this chart to see what I mean, the red and black lines are the same cpu, but the red is the Asus thin&light style design and it throttles the shit out of the cpu. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-V...zen-5-notebook
              Not business invthe sense that it will see use 8 hours a day. It would see a few hours a day in the evening for the following uses:

Vector graphic design - text and light image design. (Think cutesy .svg files from Etsy type stuff) There may be 3-4 files open and being worked on at the same time.

Web usage - social media, e-commerce, email, nd shopping. Mostly all at the same time.

Desktop vs. Laptop

This would be my wife's mainly. She works from the living room and needs the portability to move from the couch, to the craft table, to wherever she needs to work next. We are currently running a cheap Lenovo laptop on an A6 processor we bought a year or so ago. I upgraded the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB (it may have been 4GB to 8GB I don't recall). That was before we started our laser business. With all of the tasks we run on it, it just can't keep up.

I started looking at a Dell, then went down the rabbit hole. I came across the vivobook with Ryzen 7 in the same price range we were looking with more RAM and SSD space, so I used that as the comparison point. However, if the chassis design is going to cause issues, I will re-evaluate.

I have no problem upgrading RAM, adding a SSD or swapping a drive if we can get better overall performance.

Comment

I suggest then to get a more "budget" type laptop that can support more ram than it comes with and also uses a spinner hdd and swap in a new ssd in its place. You can get a 1TB sata ssd for about $100 and it's a very good quality drive.

Comment

Any specific models you would recommend?

Comment

This is actually a helluva deal, you could grab another 8gb sodimm for 16gb, you might also verify that it has an empty sata bay to add extra storage. If it doesn't, you could still grab a larger m.2 and image to it, but that would also require buying an external adapter that can be pricey.

With impressive performance visuals and audio the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Laptop lets you work and play from just about anywhere. Connect to the Web and your printer wirelessly and use the interfaces to link additional peripherals or stream content on your HDTV. With security features like a Privacy Shutter and fingerprint reader you can enjoy greater peace of mind.

I've had the best luck with Lenovo and Acer laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      This is actually a helluva deal, you could grab another 8gb sodimm for 16gb, you might also verify that it has an empty sata bay to add extra storage. If it doesn't, you could still grab a larger m.2 and image to it, but that would also require buying an external adapter that can be pricey.

With impressive performance visuals and audio the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Laptop lets you work and play from just about anywhere. Connect to the Web and your printer wirelessly and use the interfaces to link additional peripherals or stream content on your HDTV. With security features like a Privacy Shutter and fingerprint reader you can enjoy greater peace of mind.

I've had the best luck with Lenovo and Acer laptops.
                      Just ordered that one. The 8 GB RAM is soldered, I haven't seen anywhere that says it has a slot to add more. I should get 30% back in rewards so that should cover a drive upgrade to NVME or a larger SSD

Comment

I've had good luck with the medium to high end business ACER laptops. It's the only brand I use these days. I use to have primarily Sony VAIO laptops, but they got discontinued at one point. I believe.. My current laptop that I do business with is a ACER E5-576G with Hyper X Ram and a addlink NVMe SSD on Windows 10. It runs pretty good. I've posted some synthetic benchmarks and battery reports in this forum. About 6 hours on battery running full tilt all day long. However, I think I'll be getting a 10th gen Intel ACER here in the near future from my understanding. I've dropped it a couple of times and it's still working. My host and my marketing group use ACER, so I'll probably stick with that. ASUS is good brand as well from what I hear.

Comment

There are all kinds of external storage drives. New one i just came across is a NAS drive. I haven't yet dug into what it all does beside that it is stationed at home on your router and connect from almost anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X