JBL sub making loud popping sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL sub making loud popping sound...

My JBL sub on my home surround sound is making loud pops at random times. It's hooked up to my HK AVR-320 by Optic wire, all connections seem firm.
    When it makes the popping sound it's pretty loud and makes you jump, Sub or SS head unit?
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

What is the source coming from? My HK soundbar setup makes the wireless sub pop sometimes on certain channels (DirecTV) and the sound will often cut in and out. Never had the problem with u-verse and it doesn't show up with Blu-ray. Try a different source and see if it repeats.

Comment

First unplug all of the inputs and see if it does it. If so it's probably an amplifier problem. If not then I'd try plugging it into another outlet, if no difference then try a different source. If it still acts up and you can access the speaker leads I'd run an ohm meter across the terminals and push the cone through it's full excursion. You are looking for a a shorted voice coil.

The amplifier is probably repairable, the speaker definitely is or you can replace it with one of the same impedance/size.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        What is the source coming from? My HK soundbar setup makes the wireless sub pop sometimes on certain channels (DirecTV) and the sound will often cut in and out. Never had the problem with u-verse and it doesn't show up with Blu-ray. Try a different source and see if it repeats.
        Have you tried turning off 5.1 decoding? Directv doesn't broadcast every channel in 5.1 and with a soundbar you aren't using it anyway. It might have a lag when switching between decoding modes.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          Have you tried turning off 5.1 decoding? Directv doesn't broadcast every channel in 5.1 and with a soundbar you aren't using it anyway. It might have a lag when switching between decoding modes.
          Using PCM signal. I'm afraid the soundbar might be on it's last go round as well. It's an old Harman Kardan SB26. The unit actually does Dolby decoding too. I got it new for under $250 due to a mispriced unit. Love that it does HDMI switching so that I don't have to change TV inputs. Blu-rays work great on it though. I'll double check the DTV box though. I want U-verse back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            My JBL sub on my home surround sound is making loud pops at random times. It's hooked up to my HK AVR-320 by Optic wire, all connections seem firm.
            When it makes the popping sound it's pretty loud and makes you jump, Sub or SS head unit?
            I used the google just now because my harmon kardon (h/k owns jbl) has been doing the same thing lately. Guy said his issue was some of the wifi devices in the house were operating on 2.4ghz. He had them all switched to 5g and no more snap crackle pop. Makes sense for me because just above the soundbar is my ecobee thermostat which refuses to accept 5g and reverts to 2.4ghz and constantly connects/reconnects itself to wifi all day everyday which must be why my soundbar went nuts the other day and yes that sound it makes is no joke

Comment

Working...
            X