DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
dcs13
Lifer

Default Autocad - Plasma cam stuff

Anyone run autocad or plasma cam stuff ? How hard is it to learn ? My new boss was talking about buying a plasma machine. Thinking I might see if I can be the "go to guy" for the shop. Is it a huge PITA ? Probably look at a system from Lincoln .
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
Anyone run autocad or plasma cam stuff ? How hard is it to learn ? My new boss was talking about buying a plasma machine. Thinking I might see if I can be the "go to guy" for the shop. Is it a huge PITA ? Probably look at a system from Lincoln .
CAM for anything 2D is pretty damn easy so that won't be a challenge but is certainly a good way to get ahead.

Autocad is a steeper learning curve but still not overwhelming. I actually sketch everything in my 3D CAD software and save a dxf from there. Most 2D CAM software will read dxf files.

Do it!!!
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody

Plain jane, vanilla AutoCAD isn't bad at all. I've sent 4 or 5 completely green guys to a 3 day crash course provided by the community college district and every one of them was able to use AutoCAD at the end of the course. Were they amazingly proficient? No. But they knew the basics.

The class is around $500 and it's a Mon, Wed, Fri course.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
dcs13
Lifer

Thanks guys. I'll see what the boss is going to do. He's pretty stoked about it, so I expect he'll do it soon. We've got some real high end builds coming up.
Was doing some research this morning. Looks like Lincoln runs a 3 day class in Reno pretty regular. I bet the boss would buy off on sending me to that.. Its $400.

Last edited by dcs13; 12-08-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added
Old 12-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
8mpg
Lifer

I dont know if I'd do the Lincoln course unless you get the Lincoln table. I could be wrong but I believe they have their own software for their tables. Their tables are quite expensive too.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
dcs13
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
I dont know if I'd do the Lincoln course unless you get the Lincoln table. I could be wrong but I believe they have their own software for their tables. Their tables are quite expensive too.
Our shop has a deal with Lincoln , if we get anything, it will be from there .
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
lincolnboy
By da people fo da people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
Plain jane, vanilla AutoCAD isn't bad at all. I've sent 4 or 5 completely green guys to a 3 day crash course provided by the community college district and every one of them was able to use AutoCAD at the end of the course. Were they amazingly proficient? No. But they knew the basics.

The class is around $500 and it's a Mon, Wed, Fri course.
Good price, wish there was something that of a price for TBC.
lincolnboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
huh??????, ruff cnc autocad