Ring doorbell/floodlight camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring doorbell/floodlight camera

I installed, and a couple weeks later uninstalled a Ring 2 doorbell and floodlight camera. It seemed to have the same issues several people have mentioned on Amazon reviews. It will work, then it just stops. Sometimes one device will loose internet connection, or just spin trying to connect, then it starts working later. Both are on the same Wifi signal, and a Wifi booster is within 10 feet of the doorbell. Some people never have these issues, others, like myself did. I could pull into the driveway, one would detect motion, sometimes both would. Reset the zone to be closer to the house, and cars driving in the street still trigger it. Finally had it and returned them (Costco and Amazon).

Getting Vivint installed Tuesday, they seems to have much better reviews on hardware devices, plus monitoring included. A little pricey on equipment, but as long as it freaken works, I'll be OK.

Have 3 hard wired cameras installed, they are like 10 years old tho, and the DVR kind of sucks, time to get more modern equipment!

I also installed an LED motion detecting floodlight on the driveway, since Vivint does not offer one (mainly cameras, sensors and home automation stuff. The brand is Defiant, covers 180 degrees with light and was super easy to install. No wire nits, wires plug into a little box, tighten a screw to clamp it in, then put the housing on.

I gave the Ring floodlight camera a 1 star review on Amazon, and got an email the next day, offering to help resolve or replace them. Decided I had done enough resets on them and wanted no part of Ring. It was good customer service tho!

That's good info, thanks.

Comment

giving Amazon bad reviews is a great way to get free shit

Comment

Just curious, do other devices in the same spot have trouble connecting and staying connected? Wondering if the booster is too far away...that is if you are using internet to connect. If you're doing it within the network, it should be fine if you're on the same access point/extender. I was having some trouble with my Hue lights, but I got another access point and moved them all around similar to a mesh configuration. Works great now.

Comment

Damn Rob, we h think a like. I have Vivent and I've had no problems and I have a LED floodlight too, super easy to install and plenty of light.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            Just curious, do other devices in the same spot have trouble connecting and staying connected? Wondering if the booster is too far away...that is if you are using internet to connect. If you're doing it within the network, it should be fine if you're on the same access point/extender. I was having some trouble with my Hue lights, but I got another access point and moved them all around similar to a mesh configuration. Works great now.
            Yeah, both on the same Wifi booster, which is just inside the doorway from the doorbell, and the driveway light is a 3 car garage away. I did have them on separate Wifi signals once, but same issue. It would work, then not... Ring does not support MESH, so that type of hardware was not an option.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            Damn Rob, we h think a like. I have Vivent and I've had no problems and I have a LED floodlight too, super easy to install and plenty of light.
            Yeah, Lisa was telling me about it when she came ov... Err, I read about Vivint and it seems really good!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              Yeah, both on the same Wifi booster, which is just inside the doorway from the doorbell, and the driveway light is a 3 car garage away. I did have them on separate Wifi signals once, but same issue. It would work, then not... Ring does not support MESH, so that type of hardware was not an option.
              Thanks. I have been looking at them, and this is good to know. Seems the consumer guys that provide this hardware are not catering to advanced users. Good to know.

Comment

I have a floodlight cam, doorbell, spotlight and two stick up cams. I've replaced both stickup cams twice and a spotlight cam under warranty and one of the stickups is defective again. They apparently aren't water proof!

They released an updated app last week that has improved connectivity but before that it was hit or miss regarding connectivity. I'd say 90% of the time they worked perfectly, every once in a while you'd get audio only and sometimes they'd just never connect. With the new app you can look at a recent screen shot from every device on one screen and it's worked as designed every time.

They are far from perfect but they are easy to install.

Comment

BP is right about easy install, the kit comes with everything you could possibly need, drill bit, more screws than you need, etc. It was just not consistent enough to trust, so it got replaced.

Comment

Aside from my Vivint system, I have also installed a Z-Modo 1080p camera w/night vision. Works very well and their free servers are great.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I just installed a few Ring pieces myself. The alarm system, doorbell, sensors, and floodlight. So far, so good but it's only been a few days. It sucks hearing this now LOL. Damn cats keep setting off the motion sensors though, I'm sure the neighbors love it.

Super easy to install and set up. I'll report back any problems.

Comment

Sidenote. I cannot believe I've been here 17 years.... or is it 18...?!?!? damn

Comment

Aside from my Vivint system, I have also installed a Z-Modo 1080p camera w/night vision. Works very well and their free servers are great.
                          I put 4 of these outside my in-laws house in NC. They are wireless but powered, so we had to do a little work to get them wired. They work great though. We watched 14 inches of snow build up through them over the weekend. The app and free servers are pretty awesome.

Comment

So far the Vivint system is kicking butt. Set up some alerts, can open/close the garage doors, get an alert if it stays open (we never leave them open for long), live view of either camera is quick and always connects, lol. Course, it has only been a few hours, so I'll report back in a week or 2.

Damnit Henry, so NOW you tell me about these Z-modo's!

Comment

I just have the doorbell, and I thought it was working fine until I was watching some of the videos and it would show one of us walking back inside after letting the dog out, but no vid of us going outside. Uhhh...

I have the battery powered one and since it’s been cold, it only lasts like 2-3 weeks. It was lasting a couple of months during the summer. It’s kind of a pain to pull it off and take it in to recharge it, and then reinstall. And it sucks that I can’t rely on it if I’m away from home for more than a couple of weeks.

I may look into some of the other stuff y’all have mentioned, and go hardwired.

Comment

Working...
                              X