Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

The U.S. government posted a budget surplus in June, the latest sign of rapidly improving public finances that could reduce the urgency in Congress to strike a deal to raise the nation's limit on borrowing.

Rising tax revenues, public spending cuts and big payments to the Treasury from state-backed mortgage firms helped the government take in $117 billion more last month than it paid out, the U.S. Treasury said on Thursday.

Higher tax revenue, thanks to the economy, and lower spending, thanks to the sequester, combine to put Washington in the black. That could reduce pressure on Congress for a deal.

Did I miss something? I thought that they had failed to even pass a budget. Also how can it be a surplus when you have to borrow 40 cents of every dollar we spend.

There's no surplus. If you have bills totaling 155 a month and one month your water bill was a bit lower so you only had to shell out (after charging up your credit card again) 152 but you still carry over the debt from every other month and you still used your card, they call it a surplus
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      There's no surplus. If you have bills totaling 155 a month and one month your water bill was a bit lower so you only had to shell out (after charging up your credit card again) 152 but you still carry over the debt from every other month and you still used your card, they call it a surplus
      Did hell freeze over? Frost we agree.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
        Did hell freeze over? Frost we agree.
        In his case, it frosted over.

Comment

Well, if cnbc says everything is hunky-dorry, then it must be.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

It is the same story that is on fox news. Most of these so called news organizations just regurgitate stories from the AP.

Comment

The big bad sequester.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

So now we'll see the Blue Angels at air shows?

Comment

I thought we didn't even have a budget.

Comment

1/2 that money came from the dividends that Fannie Mae paid.
                    De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Working...
                    X