Fight over teaching evolution in Texas fizzles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
    I'm not writing a thesis, I'm on a mustang forum. If you don't believe I know what I'm talking about then don't listen to what I have to say.

You mean "don't believe what I copy and pasted," not what YOU have to say, seeing as YOU haven't said anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      I'd like to point out that I know of noone who thinks the earth is 600 billion years old. It is ~4.3-4.5 billion years old.
      Pretty young, given the perceived age of the universe. Even our sun is young. I forgot how old they think the universe is... was it 14 billion? The earth and sun have been around for a good portion of the universe's total age.

Comment

• Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        Pretty young, given the perceived age of the universe. Even our sun is young. I forgot how old they think the universe is... was it 14 billion? The earth and sun have been around for a good portion of the universe's total age.
        In short, we don't know for sure, but you are correct for the most part. It's estimated the universe is 12-14 billion years old.

With our solar system being 4.5 billion years old, then I wouldn't call it a "good portion of the universe's total age." In my opinion, a good portion>1/2. Given the range of timelines, the solar system is around 1/3 as old as the universe.

Public access site for The Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe and associated information about cosmology.

Comment

• I would. If the earth has been around for about half-again the total age of the universe, that's pretty significant. If you round it off, and say the universe is 15 billion, and the earth is 5 billion, then that's a third of the age,

Comment

Working...
          X