Changes in U.S. Commercial Meat - Causing Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in U.S. Commercial Meat - Causing Illness

This is just something I heard second had through my wife's co-worker. Maybe you meat experts can shed some light.

It is my understanding that the way US meat manufacturers process meat is not perfect. We have all seen the pink sludge McDonald's uses for chicken products. We have also all seen the way beef is "washed" with ammonia in most plants to inhibit the growth of bacteria. It is mass produced, and these automated plants do their best to keep bacteria levels low. Still nothing beats a local butcher who processes ground meat on the spot, but most of us don't have access to these commodities.

That being said, most distributors are changing to new beef providers. You are buying the same product, but the way the beef is being processed is different. Relating back to bacteria count, all these plants have a certain "acceptable" level of bacteria. Which in turn we consume, and have done so for years. Our bodies have grown accustomed to these strains of bacteria, and we don't get sick because we have built an immunity to them.

My wife's co-worker just got admitted to a hospital for an extreme case of food poisoning. He is a perfect example for this disscussion because he is such a picky eater. He only eats McDonald's and like fast food. His doctor had mentioned that food poisoning has been on the rise, and it correlates with the change in these new meat distributors, because the acceptable levels of bacteria are still low, but are completely different strains and our bodies do not have an immunity to them yet.

In my household we have taken the measures to make sure we are cooking our meat thoroughly. There really isn't anything else you can do, but pray you don't get sick. His particular case was BAD. He was in the hospital for days, not just an upset stomach folks. Also, and very importantly, as adults we get sick when a bacteria attacks us -children and elderly are not always as lucky. So keep an eye on what your kids are eating for the next couple months. Food poisoning in children is horrific, especially when you are dealing with meat products, it can be a very graphic painful death.
    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
    Baja-Bob.com

This is all new to me..

Comment

Working...
    X