• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' does Chop House Burgers

By Robert Philpot

DFW.com
    Posted 10:08am on Tuesday, Apr. 17, 2012

For the second week in a row, Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives featured a North Texas establishment, but this trip to Arlington's Chop House Burgers was less over the top than last week's visit to Dallas' Maple and Motor. Once again, there was a celebrity cameo, but this time, host Guy Fieri kept his excesses in check and didn't make a psycho burger for his guest, Houston Oilers great Earl Campbell, of whom Fieri seemed to be in complete awe.

Unlike a lot of North Texas-filmed reality TV, Triple D a) got the location correct, rather than referring to Arlington as "Dallas," and b) limited its Texas iconography to shots of Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark instead of trying to put forth the illusion that cows walk down Collins Street. But there was plenty of cow -- in the form of the brisket and ground beef inside chef Kenny Mills' Chop House kitchen.

Fieri seemed absolutely astonished at the idea of the Chop House Burger: cooked slow-roasted brisket mixed in with raw hamburger meat, and then recooked, and topped with a killer steak sauce. Chop House was the runner-up in DFW.com's 2011 Battle of the Burgers, during which the Chop House Burger was also a big hit, although the judges didn't react to it with Fieri's level of wide-eyed effusiveness. Then again, it's pretty hard for anyone to reach that level.

The episode only scratched the surface of Mills' story, which goes all the way back to 1975 and includes stops at a number restaurants in Arlington, Fort Worth, Dallas and elsewhere. Explaining why he launched Chop House, Mills said, "I turned 50, and thought, 'well, it's time for a midlife crisis. I couldn't get the red convertible, so I opened a restaurant." Hmm. A certain Food Network-show host "drives" a red convertible. Good thing Mills didn't say anything about spiky bleached hair and wraparound shades.

Fieri made a reference to Chop House's ecelectic burger menu, although he somehow missed the cheeseburger -- which is a cheese-covered patty between two grilled-cheese sandwiches. But I was drooling over the featured 10-pepper burger: ground beef mixed with jalapenos, habaneros, Anaheim and New Mexico chiles de Arbol, red and green bells, poblanos, anchos and crushed red peppers. The "10th pepper" is Tabasco mayo; shouldn't the pepperjack cheese topping be the 11th pepper?

After a break, Fieri brought on Campbell, whose Earl Campbell's Hot Links are used in Chop House's seafood gumbo. Fieri was particularly imprssed by the dark chocolate roux: "That's roux-licious, dude!" Fieri managed to get a non-Cowboy NFL legend onto his show in the heart of Cowboys territory, and it appears that he and Campbell have a mutual-admiration society: Campbell professed to be a fan of Triple-D, and Fieri gushed that Campbell is his favorite NFL player of all time. "This is one of the greatest moments in Triple-D history," Fieri said, adding that he's close to completing his bucket list: "I have to climb a pyramid, ride a unicorn, and that's it." Even a unicorn couldn't have outrun Earl Campbell in his prime.

DDD made seven stops in North Texas during a December swing; Deep Ellum's Pepes and Mitos was featured recently, and Cane Rosso will be on the April 30, reports our friend Teresa Gubbins, who also says that Dallas' Pecan Lodge will be on the May 28 episode.

The Chop House episode will repeat at 8 p.m. April 27 on Food Network
    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
    Your opinion is what sucks.
    You are too stupied and arrogant

Saw the episode, but haven't been there, yet.

Comment

looks good

Comment

now that sounds good.....

the Chop House Burger: cooked slow-roasted brisket mixed in with raw hamburger meat

Comment

Went there tonite, definitely good burgers worth the visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
            Went there tonite, definitely good burgers worth the visit.
            Talk to me goose; how were the fry's?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The sweet potato fries are amazing.
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Went there with my dad a few weeks ago when he was out on a meeting. My boss joined us and neither him nor I had tried it but my dad said it was REALLY good.

I have to say, that was one of the most interesting burgers I had ever had, not the BEST but damn close and had good flavor. Just make sure you get it cooked Medium other wise it loses a lot of flavor.
                QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I went there yesterday and got the 10 Pepper Burger, medium with fries. Great flavor, a little lingering heat. My boss got the Chop House Burger with onion rings and said it was excellent. The fries were pretty good too.

Comment

That sounds pretty tasty Eric. I may have to give it a try this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X