Commander Cut 'N' Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Cut 'N' Run

Quick run down: US to speed up Afghan withdrawl due to the fact that Obama wants peace negotiations with Taliban and Karzai thinks he's a joke

The United States is seriously considering speeding up the withdrawal of its forces from Afghanistan because of frustration with President Hamid Karzai, the New York Times reported.

And a so called 'zero option' -- having no US troops in Afghanistan after 2014 -- is also on the cards, the daily said late Monday, quoting US and European officials.

US President Barack Obama is committed to ending the US military involvement in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, and his administration has been negotiating with Kabul about leaving behind a "residual force."

But Obama's relationship with Karzai has been deteriorating and suffered a big and new blow last month with an effort by the United States to open peace talks with the Taliban in Qatar.

Karzai opposed the talks, and halted negotiations with the Americans on a long-term security deal needed to keep US forces in Afghanistan after 2014, the Times said.

To defuse tensions, the two presidents spoke by videoconference June 27 but it went badly, the paper said, quoting American and Afghan officials familiar with the exchange.

They said Karzai accused the United States of trying to negotiate a separate peace with both the Taliban and their backers in Pakistan. Karzai felt this would leave his country exposed to its enemies.

No decision has been made on the pace of the US pullout or how many US troops to leave behind, the report said. Officials say the goal is still to reach a long term security deal.

But negotiating stances are hardening, the Times quoted officials as saying.

"There has always been a zero option, but it was not seen as the main option," said one senior Western official in Kabul. "It is now becoming one of them, and if you listen to some people in Washington, it is maybe now being seen as a realistic path."

The official added however that he hoped the Afghans were beginning to realize that the zero option is a distinct possibility.

Currently, half of the 68,000 US troops in Afghanistan are set to exit by February, and the newly-trained Afghan army and police are increasingly taking the lead in the security battle.

The United States is seriously considering speeding up the withdrawal of its forces from Afghanistan because of frustration with President Hamid Karzai, the New York Times reported.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Was this not a cornerstone of his campaign? Get the fuck out?

I am assuming that this is a good thing in your eyes?

I would like to hear your opinion Frost, given your In country experience.

Comment

We should either go balls out and carpet bomb\wipe out the entire Taliban infrastructure in Afghanistan (including expansive minefields at the Paki border) or GTFO.

Playing Whack-A-Hadji gets us nowhere....
      Last edited by Gargamel; 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

We should've been out of Afghanistan a month after we got UBL. Fuck that dope peddling, extortionist piece of shit Karzai.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
          We should either go balls out and carpet bomb\wipe out the entire Taliban infrastructure in Afghanistan (including expansive minefields at the Paki border) or GTFO.

Playing Whack-A-Hadji gets us nowhere....
          This is my point of view. You don't send us in for a decade, you send us in to kill everyone and destroy everything standing and then call us home. Sun Tzu said you employ your weapons of war quickly and decisively so that they do not become dull with use. We shouldn't do nation building, we should do nation destruction. Kill everything, destroy everything and then head back home, let the UN worry about the survivors if there are any

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            This is my point of view. You don't send us in for a decade, you send us in to kill everyone and destroy everything standing and then call us home. Sun Tzu said you employ your weapons of war quickly and decisively so that they do not become dull with use. We shouldn't do nation building, we should do nation destruction. Kill everything, destroy everything and then head back home, let the UN worry about the survivors if there are any

yes!
            satisfaction is the death of desire...

its still "We the people"...right?

Comment

Quote of the century.

A military has one use, to fight and win wars. You do this with speed, shock effect and then take the enemy's will to fight. When you tie our soldiers hand with asinine ROE you put yourself in a no win situation. In the words of Gen Odierno, "I am sick of this hearts and minds bullshit, I will tell you how to win their hearts and minds. You grab the fuckers by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." (One of the best General Officers I served under in my 16 years)

Comment

Instead of letting the people on the ground make those decisions, you have politicians making them and that costs American soldiers... the hell with Afghanistan...they should fear us, not mock us...

Comment

It's a mixed bag.

I agree that politics need to be taken out of the decisions on the ground. But, at the same time, the government we emplace must be treated as a legitimate, sovereign government in order for the people of Afghanistan to accept it as a legitimate government. We only half way do this.

The scorched earth policy will only lead to failure in Afghanistan. Ask the Russians. We need to balance it better. We need to be more violent and aggressive towards our targets, reduce the length of our vetting. However, we need to continue working Patreus' style of hearts and minds with the non-insurgent local populace. You fail that, you lose to insurgents.

No matter how you go at it, expect a generations long fight that costs a ton of money...if you want to win.

Comment

by using this method we start getting attacked more frequently by these radical countries/sects and alienate ourselves to the rest of the world more than we already have...

Comment

In hindsight, we should have been running special forces, search and destroy programs from day 1 and only that. Cut the head off, from the top down. Why we have to risk troops to fight these suicidal scumbags is beyond my comprehension. We will never defeat these clowns with numbers, it has to be precision.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        We should've been out of Afghanistan a month after we got UBL. Fuck that dope peddling, extortionist piece of shit Karzai.
                        Bingo.

And just to add, we obviously learned NOTHING in Vietnam.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                          by using this method we start getting attacked more frequently by these radical countries/sects and alienate ourselves to the rest of the world more than we already have...
                          Not really. Anyone who rises up against the US is eradicated. Ever see Swordfish? How are nations and these terrorist groups going to rise up if they're stomped out every time they pop up? I mean absolute destruction. Hearts and minds do not work as we're working against indoctrination that has gone on for centuries. They raise their children to hate us from birth and have no problem with using those children as walking mines. Kill them all.

Otherwise? Don't send us in.

Comment

Scorched earth only breeds more insurgents. It's not that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                              Scorched earth only breeds more insurgents. It's not that simple.
                              Right, the last time we used scorched earth was Japan. Not aware of a lot of Japanese terrorists. By definition, scorched earth leaves no one to attack you.

Comment

Working...
                              X