Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Bernice Johnson proposes setting up national park on the Moon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Bernice Johnson proposes setting up national park on the Moon.

Your tax dollars at work my friends:

A national park on the moon? Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson's bill would protect moon landing artifacts

EMILY WILKINS
    Staff Writer
    Published: 09 July 2013 06:51 PM

It might not get as many visitors as Yellowstone National Park, but Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, D-Dallas, wants a national historic park on the moon.

The word "park" can be misleading - the legislation would protect artifacts left on the moon from Apollo missions 11 through 17. No ground on the moon would be included, although the bill requires the nomination of Neil Armstrong's first footprints on the moon a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which offers protection to threatened sites.

"In light of other nations and private entities developing the ability to go to the Moon, the United States must be proactive in protecting artifacts left by the seven Apollo lunar landings," Johnson said in a written statement.

The bill, which was introduced in the House on Monday, is sponsored by Johnson, the ranking Democrat of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, and fellow committee member Rep. Donna Edwards, D-Md.

A spokeswoman for the Democrats on the committee said those who take or damage artifacts on the moon would be subject to punishment under the same laws as those who take or damage property in national parks.

Obviously, such a bill would be hard to enforce and hard to protect. Johnson admits it sounds far-fetched to have a national historical park on the moon, but believes legal protection for the objects there is important.

"I don't think that there is anything far-fetched about protecting and preserving such irreplaceable items and such a hallowed place," she said in a statement.

The committee spokeswoman also said the head of the Russian space agency, Vladimir Popovkin, has called for protection of relics from the first manned missions to the moon.

The bill has been referred to both the House Science, Space and Technology Committee and the House Natural Resources Committee.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Our future, folks!

The bill, which was introduced in the House on Monday, is sponsored by Johnson, the ranking Democrat of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, and fellow committee member Rep. Donna Edwards, D-Md.

Comment

Shouldn't she be busy giving her grand kids congressional scholarships?

Comment

Well, after getting cited on Mt. Evans, I can recommend a Park Ranger that has the zealousness to ticket violators or wait until they show up.......

Comment

I don't see where this would really cost any money; it's not like they are putting Space Park Rangers in suits and having them give moon landing tours. Sounds like it is just to try and get other nations to agree to respect those sites when they land on the moon themselves. Seems pretty low cost to me and probably not a bad idea, but like the article says it won't exactly be easy to enforce.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            I don't see where this would really cost any money; it's not like they are putting Space Park Rangers in suits and having them give moon landing tours. Sounds like it is just to try and get other nations to agree to respect those sites when they land on the moon themselves. Seems pretty low cost to me and probably not a bad idea, but like the article says it won't exactly be easy to enforce.
            Projected to cost millions in legal fees fighting litigation from other countries.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The irony from this party. Preserve trash we left on the moon that we msu never see again but okay to kill babies just as long as they don't pass through the gash first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                Projected to cost millions in legal fees fighting litigation from other countries.
                Is there a link to that info? I don't see where that would even be an issue unless someone else ever lands on the moon, and even then they would have to damage the original site for us to care.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

what an absolute idiot...

Comment

Just when I start to think she's reached the limit of her stupidity, she goes and pushes the edge of the envelope. And if Vladimir Putin wants to fly to the moon and take a dump right on Neil Armstrongs boot print, there's not a damn thing we can do about it.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

maybe she is originally from Detroit
                      sigpic

Comment

So why make a bill to make it a national park? Can't the president declare something a national park?
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          So why make a bill to make it a national park? Can't the president declare something a national park?
                          If this is the case, Obama may have looked at it and said "that's fucking stupid" in which case she'd have to pass a bill. This is all hypothetical, of course.

Comment

This is all I could think of when I read this story.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Your tax dollars at work my friends:
                              we should send her to the ribbon cutting

Comment

Working...
                              X