How the Pentagon's payroll quagmire traps America's soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Pentagon's payroll quagmire traps America's soldiers

I am going through this right now as well.

(Reuters) - As Christmas 2011 approached, U.S. Army medic Shawn Aiken was once again locked in desperate battle with a formidable foe. Not insurgents in Iraq, or Taliban fighters in Afghanistan - enemies he had already encountered with distinguished bravery.

This time, he was up against the U.S. Defense Department.

Aiken, then 30 years old, was in his second month of physical and psychological reconstruction at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, after two tours of combat duty had left him shattered. His war-related afflictions included traumatic brain injury, severe post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), abnormal eye movements due to nerve damage, chronic pain, and a hip injury.

But the problem that loomed largest that holiday season was different. Aiken had no money. The Defense Department was withholding big chunks of his pay. It had started that October, when he received $2,337.56, instead of his normal monthly take-home pay of about $3,300. He quickly raised the issue with staff. It only got worse. For all of December, his pay came to $117.99.

All Aiken knew was that the Defense Department was taking back money it claimed he owed. Beyond that, "they couldn't even tell me what the debts were from," he says.

At the time, Aiken was living off base with his fiancee, Monica, and her toddler daughter, while sharing custody of his two children with his ex-wife. As their money dwindled, the couple began hitting church-run food pantries. Aiken took out an Army Emergency Relief Loan to cover expenses of their December move into a new apartment. At Christmas, Operation Santa Claus provided the family with presents - one for each child, per the charity's rules.

Eventually, they began pawning their possessions - jewelry, games, an iPhone, and even the medic bag Aiken used when saving lives in Afghanistan. The couple was desperate from "just not knowing where food's going to come from," he says. "They just hit one button and they take your whole paycheck away. And then you have to fight to get the money back."

Aiken's injuries made that fight more difficult. He limped from office to office to press his case to an unyielding bureaucracy. With short-term and long-term memory loss, he struggled to keep appointments and remember key dates and events. His PTSD symptoms alienated some staff. "He would have an outburst ... (and) they would treat him as if he was like a bad soldier," says Monica. "They weren't compassionate."

They were also wrong. The money the military took back from Aiken resulted from accounting and other errors, and it should have been his to keep. Further, even after Aiken complained, the Defense Department didn't return the bulk of the money to Aiken until after Reuters inquired about his case.

The Pentagon agency that identified the overpayments, clawed them back and resisted Aiken's pleas for explanation and redress is the Defense Finance and Accounting Service, or DFAS (pronounced "DEE-fass"). This agency, with headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana, has roughly 12,000 employees and, after cuts under the federal sequester, a $1.36 billion budget. It is responsible for accurately paying America's 2.7 million active-duty and Reserve soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines.

It often fails at that task, a Reuters investigation finds.

A review of individuals' military pay records, government reports and other documents, along with interviews with dozens of current and former soldiers and other military personnel, confirms Aiken's case is hardly isolated. Pay errors in the military are widespread. And as Aiken and many other soldiers have found, once mistakes are detected, getting them corrected - or just explained - can test even the most persistent soldiers.

"Too often, a soldier who has a problem with his or her pay can wait days, weeks or even months to get things sorted out," Democratic Senator Thomas Carper of Delaware, chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, wrote in an email. "This is simply unacceptable."

Reuters found multiple examples of pay mistakes affecting active-duty personnel and discharged soldiers. Some are erroneously shortchanged on pay. Others are mistakenly overpaid and then see their earnings drastically cut as DFAS recoups the money, or, like Aiken, they are forced to pay money that was rightfully theirs.

Precise totals on the extent and cost of these mistakes are impossible to come by, and for the very reason the errors plague the military in the first place: the Defense Department's jury-rigged network of mostly incompatible computer systems for payroll and accounting, many of them decades old, long obsolete, and unable to communicate with each other. The DFAS accounting system still uses a half-century-old computer language that is largely unable to communicate with the equally outmoded personnel management systems employed by each of the military services.

In a December 2012 report on Army pay, the Government Accountability Office said DFAS and the Army have no way to ensure correct pay for soldiers and no way to track errors. These deficiencies, it said, "increase the risk that the nearly $47 billion in reported fiscal year 2011 Army active duty military payroll includes Army servicemembers who received pay to which they were not entitled and others who did not receive the full pay they were due."

In a written response to the report, Robert Hale, the Defense Department's comptroller, said, "I agree that we need to strive to improve payroll accuracy," but added that the GAO had overstated the problem and mischaracterized some of the debts as errors.

More on the site
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Sad.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

my BIL has some of the same issues with them.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I got a letter stating I owe them 12k. When I argued I didn't, I pretty much got told I couldn't prove I didn't so I did

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          I got a letter stating I owe them 12k. When I argued I didn't, I pretty much got told I couldn't prove I didn't so I did
          Feel like you were talking to the judge in the GZ case?
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
            Feel like you were talking to the judge in the GZ case?
            Not really because at least in that case, Z has a defense attorney and news reports for publicity as well as appeals.

Comment

Yep, if DFAS says you owe them, you do...end of story. Oh, and they will halt any and all pay until it's repaid. Case in point, a friend of mine reenlisted, and was eligible for a nice reenlistment bonus. The way those are paid is this: 1/2 immediately, and the the remaining half paid out in increments on each anniversary of your reenlistment. His was to total $36k.
              Wellllll, DFAS screwed up and paid him the entire thing immediately. He tried and tried to find a way that he could pay them back. They essentially said, "Nope, the only way is for us to withhold all normal pay and allowances until it is paid off."
              Just pathetic.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

It's not limited to soldiers, working for the DOD, we get a lot of the same issues with our per diem checks. If they make a mistake and overpay you, oh damn, they want it right the fuck now! If they underpay you, it might take 4 months to get it out of them!

Comment

Granted, I have been out of the since 1997, but there were all sorts of pay related screw ups back then too.. Luckily, at the unit level, we were pretty good about issuing "casual pay" (basically an advance) when we knew there was a screw up that would be fixed on the next check.

Comment

Chili they really cut back on casual and advance pays now. I have seen so many guys get screwed by DFAS.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                      Yep, if DFAS says you owe them, you do...end of story. Oh, and they will halt any and all pay until it's repaid. Case in point, a friend of mine reenlisted, and was eligible for a nice reenlistment bonus. The way those are paid is this: 1/2 immediately, and the the remaining half paid out in increments on each anniversary of your reenlistment. His was to total $36k.
                      Wellllll, DFAS screwed up and paid him the entire thing immediately. He tried and tried to find a way that he could pay them back. They essentially said, "Nope, the only way is for us to withhold all normal pay and allowances until it is paid off."
                      Just pathetic.
                      Yep. I called and took out a personal loan to try to repay them. When I asked for information on how to send it the rep, and I wish I was playing, said "You can't repay us. We pull it from your benefits. You can't send us a check."

Comment

Originally posted by DallasSleeper View Post
                        Chili they really cut back on casual and advance pays now. I have seen so many guys get screwed by DFAS.
                        I'm sure.. That was decided at the Battalion / Squadron level when I was in, but I could see them pulling that authority.

Comment

Jesus Christ....can the government do anything and it not turn into a complete cluster fuck?
                          sigpic

Comment

Fuck DFAS and finance, I'm owed 2 months of tax free from 2012 that I still haven't received after multiple pay inquires about the issue, now I'm deployed again and won't get to deal with it till the end of the year.
                            De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

When I EAS'd in '98 and they waited a year to hit me up for $3k they said I owed. When asked how I owed them, they told me I was overpaid per diem and travel expenses. They refused to show their math and how they came to that number. I simply refused to give them a dime. One sunday morning this cunt of a sista called my house at 7:30. She asked how I intended to pay them. She told me "we are the government. We will get our money". I hung up on the bitch. Only to find out she was right. In April they kept my tax return and the next couple years afterwards.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X