FCC Chairman's Proposal Will Radically Change The Rules Of The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Does the government regulate who can put down lines? Do they require environmental studies for all of these things that take time? Tell me, how easy does the government currently make it to expand?
    This, this, and this! The government should have the mindset of, promoting enterprise, and not vice-versa. Requiring environmental studies on running cable on power lines that are already in place.

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
    The government can't tell providers "no" to putting in any new lines and technologies if the providers aren't even trying to do it. . .. . .
    What are basing this on? Google, and a few others have been doing surveys all over the country to find cities where they can plant.
    A company called UPN planted fiber all throughout the Dallas county, because they worked out a contract with Disd to run a fiber network for the district. They used that political connection/door to plant the more fiber to whomever else they could sell to. This was a one time chance to have fiber ran, but it was limited to what Disd needed. Not very many people jumped on board, but UPN paid for extra fiber and now has resellers sell the strands in the ring.

Maybe organization is what municipalities need. Every year they build a list of private & public wants of running cables, and facilitates how the install is going to go. BUT that would require cronyism to go by the wayside.

Comment

• Originally posted by exlude View Post
      The "I know you are but what am I" argument, a classic. A well fitting defense for someone of your aptitude.

k

As I already said, feel free to use advanced search to pull up the recent discussions about this. Careful with the spelling of my username.

I wish actually typing slower would help you understand that, so instead I'll offer this advice: sound out each word and make sure you know what they all mean, then put them together as a sentence. Maybe you'll get it this time around. This much struggle with a message board, no wonder you have trouble navigating Google
      Your powers of deduction suck. They just do. I was going to admit that I misread, but then you go back to google, so I'm going to have to go back to the "you're an ignorant bag of hot air" line. So which is it? You're wanting me to google and find information I've already told you I know because I'm an enthusiast, or search your username here? I'll go with search your username here because the google recommendation is worthless, just like 99% of your posts.

Your petty insults only serve to make you look more stupid. Saying that type of stuff to someone you know is fluent in the subject just makes you look like a child. So good job on that.

Oh and I'm still waiting on you to clarify or expand upon post 51. Not that you can or will. You know I think I'm done arguing with you. This is going nowhere so I'll just let you have the last word that you seem to so desperately crave.

Since its abundantly clear at this point you have no idea what you're talking about, here's a link from one of my enthusiast forums to help out the noobs.

Last edited by Gasser64; 02-14-2015, 10:14 PM.
      WH

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        Your powers of deduction suck. They just do. I was going to admit that I misread, but then you go back to google, so I'm going to have to go back to the "you're an ignorant bag of hot air" line. So which is it? You're wanting me to google and find information I've already told you I know because I'm an enthusiast, or search your username here? I'll go with search your username here because the google recommendation is worthless, just like 99% of your posts.

Your petty insults only serve to make you look more stupid. Saying that type of stuff to someone you know is fluent in the subject just makes you look like a child. So good job on that.

Oh and I'm still waiting on you to clarify or expand upon post 51. Not that you can or will. You know I think I'm done arguing with you. This is going nowhere so I'll just let you have the last word that you seem to so desperately crave.

Since its abundantly clear at this point you have no idea what you're talking about, here's a link from one of my enthusiast forums to help out the noobs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/684875/a-...f-the-internet
        What's your username on overclock?

Comment

• The only way I could see giving the government at any level, the power to regulate the internet would be to first give private companies a chance with no regulation. They can lay cable anywhere they like and as quickly as they like without bidding on anything or dealing with politicians who want a handout.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

The only way I could see giving the government at any level, the power to regulate the internet would be to first give private companies a chance with no regulation. They can lay cable anywhere they like and as quickly as they like without bidding on anything or dealing with politicians who want a handout.
            Unfortunately, the monopolies are quick to tie up smaller competition in the courts. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they have the capital to stall in court. Combine that with influence among the networks to prevent or price out the competition and it's going to be hard.

Comment

Unfortunately, the monopolies are quick to tie up smaller competition in the courts. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they have the capital to stall in court. Combine that with influence among the networks to prevent or price out the competition and it's going to be hard.
              And that is different than the government picking winners and losers based on who pays into their campaign how?

Comment

And that is different than the government picking winners and losers based on who pays into their campaign how?
                So basically you're saying stick with the evil you know?
                Solid answer.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                  So basically you're saying stick with the evil you know?
                  Solid answer.
                  Actually, that is your argument. It is easier to change a company than government and only government has the power of force

Comment

• mbps nigga, government control be damned!! Think of all the terrorists!
                    ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

It's very different. We're talking about the judicial process and collusion between two businesses.

Comment

It's very different. We're talking about the judicial process and collusion between two businesses.
                        so if government does it, its ok, if business does it, its bad?
                        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

• Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                          so if government does it, its ok, if business does it, its bad?
                          I, very clearly, didn't say that.

Comment

I, very clearly, didn't say that.
                            ok.
                            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

• President Obama spoke in Silicon Valley about events affecting cybersecurity and the development of the Internet and signed an executive order.

Comment

• This is the kind of shit that needs to be regulated.

Originally posted by Business Insider

AT&T is finally challenging Google Fiber's blazing fast internet speeds in Kansas City — but it’s charging more for privacy

It was a pretty big deal when Google chose Kansas City to pilot its Fiber program, which promised blazing fast internet speeds 75-100X faster than cable or DSL.

On Sunday, AT&T announced it will finally roll out its own Google Fiber competitor, called “GigaPower,” in the same city, according to the Kansas City Star.

AT&T’s gigabit service will cost the same as Google’s — just $70 a month — but AT&T is charging customers an extra $29 a month if they want to opt out of the company’s “Internet Preferences” program, which tracks “the webpages you visit, the time you spend on each, the links or ads you see and follow, and the search terms you enter.”

AT&T’s Internet Preferences program also “works independently of your browser's privacy settings regarding cookies, do-not-track, and private browsing. If you opt-in to AT&T Internet Preferences, AT&T will still be able to collect and use your Web browsing information independent of those settings."

In other words, unless you pay the extra $30 a month, AT&T will use the information it collects about your web browsing habits to serve you targeted ads.

Google Fiber does not track users, the company tells Ars Technica — but that’s because Google already tracks its users through its various web properties like Gmail and Google+. But Google says it won’t use or associate your account with any data from your Google Fiber use — the URLs of websites you visit and the content of your communications are safe, it says — “except with your consent or to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request."

For an extra $50, AT&T is also bundling TV and HBO with its gigabit internet service — but that $120 per month rate will only be for the first three years, according to AT&T. Adding voice to the deal costs an extra $30 a month.

Google Fiber doesn’t offer a voice service, and that one-time $300 construction fee still applies — but it still offers one thing AT&T has yet to try and match: Free 5 Mbps internet access for those that either don’t want, or can’t afford gigabit internet.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X