Home electrical question: ceiling fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home electrical question: ceiling fan

Short version: I have black, white, green and bare ground wires coming from the ceiling.

Near as I can tell, I have
    Bare & green = ground
    Black = power
    White = switched power?

How do I test this?

Long version: fan, with lights came with the house and was on a wireless remote. (Remote base mounted at the ceiling). It stopped working years ago. Unknown fault, but I have a new remote system.

Theoretically there was a wall switch for this at one time. Previous owner thought he was Bob Vila. He wasn’t.

All breakers are presently on with none tripped, but unlabeled. (Thanks, Bob)

Just poking around with a circuit tester and I’m not seeing any juice, but I’m not super sure which wires to test either.

Somebody save me from myself. And Bob.

Not an electrician, but this is how I found my hot/neutral

but take your Volt meter

Assuming you meter is set to AC Voltage

Volt Meter negative wire hold to bare wire. Keep this on

Take positive and touch BLACK > if you get power, that is your hot

now

Take positive and touch WHITE > if no power, that is your neutral

note
    **not responsible for fried Blake

Comment

Have you tried shooting it?
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
        Not an electrician, but this is how I found my hot/neutral

but take your Volt meter

Assuming you meter is set to AC Voltage

Volt Meter negative wire hold to bare wire. Keep this on

Take positive and touch BLACK > if you get power, that is your hot

now

Take positive and touch WHITE > if no power, that is your neutral

note
        **not responsible for fried Blake
        Thank you sir. I tried the above with no joy. I’m thinking that I have a root problem that I probably can’t solve myself. Bummer.

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        Have you tried shooting it?
        A tactical solution has not been ruled out. Especially now.

Comment

If you have attic access you could check the wiring at the wall drop. It's probably on the same breaker as an adjacent room or wall.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            If you have attic access you could check the wiring at the wall drop. It's probably on the same breaker as an adjacent room or wall.
            Yeah that may be what it takes. The challenge is that this fan is in the middle of a vaulted ceiling. Challenges of a ‘70’s house. I may have to climb up there and find out. Not a simple job for a man of my girth, lol.

Comment

You have everything correct, even if you have the black and white reveresed it will still work, as long as its grounded.
              Black is power and the white is the power interrupt, iirc.
              I just installed a couple of light switch timers and aside from turning off the circuit breakers it was fairly easy.
              I have a simply pen A/C tester that I was able to use to make sure even after the breaker(s) were tripped to make sure I didn't shock kill myself...

This is what I have, you can get it from Norther or any other brand that does the same will work.

Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I would ask if the house is modern but it really doesn't matter..it more or less depends on which wire the installer used as the switch leg. If you have a volt meter you can easily test which one is the switched wire. You didn't mention if there was a second switch and a red wire..some electricians use 3 conductor with a ground so that you can switch the fan separately from the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  You have everything correct, even if you have the black and white reveresed it will still work, as long as its grounded.
                  Black is power and the white is the power interrupt, iirc.
                  I just installed a couple of light switch timers and aside from turning off the circuit breakers it was fairly easy.
                  I have a simply pen A/C tester that I was able to use to make sure even after the breaker(s) were tripped to make sure I didn't shock kill myself...

This is what I have, you can get it from Norther or any other brand that does the same will work.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...UaAmIgEALw_wcB
                  I love my little pen.

On a side note I have heard that if you wire it backwards it will work but might cause issues in certain appliances.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    I love my little pen.

On a side note I have heard that if you wire it backwards it will work but might cause issues in certain appliances.
                    That is correct. Could also damage the appliance, and in worst case scenario could cause electrocution if the grounds aren't installed or hooked up correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      That is correct. Could also damage the appliance, and in worst case scenario could cause electrocution if the grounds aren't installed or hooked up correctly.
                      I learned this after putting in a bunch of plugs. Luckily I think, I have always wired them back exactly how they were set up the first time.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        I learned this after putting in a bunch of plugs. Luckily I think, I have always wired them back exactly how they were set up the first time.
                        My first house I bought back in Plano in the mid-90's I repainted the entire interior of house and replaced all the tan colored plugs to white. Most of those fuckers were connected wrong but they still worked. All the appliances were electric and nothing ever happened.
                        When we sold, it the inspector red tagged all the plugs and said they needed to be wired correctly, which we did and that's when I found out a little bit more about how electricity works...
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Where are you testing from? If you pull the switch out, it'll tell you what you need to know. Typically black is load and white is interrupt, with sometimes a red being a second load. Your house is older, so not sure. Fans are often wired in a 2 switch setup with one wire (say red) being the hot for the light and the black wire being hot for the fan. You can turn the fan on without the light and vice versa.

Remotes just need one live wire to perform. When I have added remotes in the past, I just wire nut and tape the end of the live wire not in use and the switch then does nothing.

If you're testing at the fan and the switch is off, you will not see power. That's both switches on I mean if it was setup that way. Check at the switch. The common wire between switches (should be white) will be the interrupt. Whatever is not bare will be live I think.

Comment

I'd also look for a tripped GCFI on the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              I'd also look for a tripped GFCI on the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                              fixed that for ya.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.

Comment

Working...
                              X