Netflix vs Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix vs Amazon

So I finally got a smart TV and subscribed to Netflix, and just signed up for Amazon Prime (for free shipping mostly!) so I set that up on the TV and checked it out briefly.

So far, I don't like the layout of Amazon, unless I'm missing something, they seem to have "pay to view" movies mixed in with everything. I see many say free for Prime viewers, but a bunch have a cost also without the free for prime viewers thing. Is there some option/setting to only see the free shit?

Is one better than the other?

What are the pros/cons of each for you avid "Avoid cable and save $$$" people?

Amazon really needs to organize shit. I have Prime, but I don't use it much for anything you couldn't get with regular Amazon. Netflix is great, and they've been adding some good... ahem, CONTENT lately. They also have an easily manageable layout.

I haven't had cable in over 4 years, just went straight to Netflix. There are a couple of things I miss about cable, but until they offer ala cart, I'm not paying $150 a month to get the channels I want, when I'll only watch 10 of them to begin with, and half of the other 400 channels are in Spanish. I'm pretty surprised at how far behind the times cable companies are, but I guess they're still raking it in like a bunch of dickheads. Oh well. They won't get any more money out of me until they get into the 21st Century.

Cable seems like something you need if you want to watch a bunch of fake as shit "reality" shows. Even channels I used to watch religiously, like Discovery, or MTV, now have absolutely nothing to do with what they were intended for. No thanks.

Comment

I started a similar thread a few months back.

So I recently got an Amazon Prime trail account to order some stuff for a trip I took last month and started watching some of the streaming content. I ordered some more stuff and watched more streaming content and decided to go ahead and do a year subscription to Prime. Who all has tried both and what did you think? For the

I still have cable because I sorta like the randomness of their programming plus I watch sports that I can't get OTA. Eric has a lot of good points such as programming à la carte (which will never happen), there's a lot on their that I don't watch that I'm paying for. And Amazon Prime's UI really needs to get worked on because it sucks big balls.

Comment

We got the Amazon Fire TV thing a couple weeks ago (was on sale for like $60). It comes with a remote which includes a mic for voice searches. So far we love it. Menu navigation is incredibly fast as compared to most Netflix apps we have had on BluRay players and such. You can also buy separate controllers to use on the video games they offer.

The only thing I don't like is that you cannot search only for Prime content. You can browse through Prime content though. When searching, you just have to look for the little "Prime" tag on the image unless you want to pay. Also, fast forward and rewind work much better than Netflix, and they have a 10 second forward or back skip.

Prime content is not exactly the same as Netflix, but comparable. The good thing is, that if you do want to go ahead and rent or buy something that is not available for free, you can (unlike Netflix). Also, any online content you have bought from Amazon is there ready for you.

You can also use it for Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and most of the common streaming services.

I wish there was a better interface for Netflix aside from a computer. I would use it a lot more on the TV if that were the case. Searching, navigating and even FFW / REW are a pita.

BTW, I will add that we have had Prime for a couple years and until this, never really used it for streaming at all. It was mainly only for the free shipping and Kindle fire content (more free books and ability to "borrow" books from them).

Comment

Thanks for the input. If I use Amazon more for ordering, I may keep prime for the shipping, but not certain at this time. I'll use the shit outa it for 28 days and cancel if I don't buy more shit tho. I need to check out the selection of 4K stuff they have, it may be similar to Netflix, which is the main reason I got them (and some 3D stuff just to check it out).

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Amazon really needs to organize shit. I have Prime, but I don't use it much for anything you couldn't get with regular Amazon. Netflix is great, and they've been adding some good... ahem, CONTENT lately. They also have an easily manageable layout.

I haven't had cable in over 4 years, just went straight to Netflix. There are a couple of things I miss about cable, but until they offer ala cart, I'm not paying $150 a month to get the channels I want, when I'll only watch 10 of them to begin with, and half of the other 400 channels are in Spanish. I'm pretty surprised at how far behind the times cable companies are, but I guess they're still raking it in like a bunch of dickheads. Oh well. They won't get any more money out of me until they get into the 21st Century.

Cable seems like something you need if you want to watch a bunch of fake as shit "reality" shows. Even channels I used to watch religiously, like Discovery, or MTV, now have absolutely nothing to do with what they were intended for. No thanks.

The only reason I have cable is for HBO. When HBO GO finally becomes stand alone, Comcast will get the ax.

Comment

Hbo is working on bringing shows a la cart sometime this year. Non subscribers will be able to stream shows according to an article i read a few days ago.

Netflix has been pushing out their original series and it doesn't look like they're stopping. Movies are hit and miss but there's plenty of choices that aren't your typical movies. I've watched more than indie and foreign films on Netflix than i ever have anywhere else. Hell, i dont even watch regular television unless it's football. Even then I just hit up my buddy and watch the red zone with him.

I've seen the shit shows that are on cable, talk about a waste of money. I'll stick to Netflix and streaming sites before i ever decide to buy cable. They even offer 4k movies and 3d for the smart tv's. But if hbo pulls it off with their a la cart, i forsee other networks doing the same.

I don't have any experience with prime so I'm useless on that matter.
              Last edited by idrivea4banger; 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM.
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                Hbo is working on bringing shows a la cart sometime this year. Non subscribers will be able to stream shows according to an article i read a few days ago.
                Just saw that on here: http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59504

I would like to ditch our Dish, though I think we have a while left on the contract. Spend some of that on better internet, buy an antenna, and move on. I went a couple years without cable / dish before we got married and would be happy to return to that. Maybe I would spend less time on my ass in front of the TV too.

Comment

Netflix sux. Guess you get what you pay for. 80 % old ass movies.

Comment

I think if cable network channed were streamed thru the internet it could cost a whole lot less

Comment

I pay for hulu plus and Amazon Prime. I almost axed hulu for it's lovely commercials you're blessed with but decided to "share" it. Talk to your extended family, there's no sense in paying for something twice (expect Amazon Prime).

Comment

Working...
                      X