Heat pump for house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
    Depends. Heat pump or electric strips? Could have a bad strip set or not enough to begin with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Electric strips
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

33° outside. Temp out of my ducts with my heat pump is 86° - not using strips.

Comment

I'd only be using a company willing to run a manual J to calculate the load needed on your system. You can have one run for $150 and have an engineered evaluation on what you need.

Upsizing is bad if you dont need it. Your a/c will short cycle (turn on and off too fast) and wear out the equipment while not dehumidifying the house. When the a/c comes on, it needs to run 30 min or more at a time to get a good dehumidification. My house is sprayfoamed and I run a 2.5 ton heat pump on 2100sqft. My electric bills are sub $100/mo

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          How old is the current 3t? Some fresh duct work and added insulation you might be ok.

Not sure. We bought house back in 2009 and house was on market for couple years. Lady was asking way too much back then, which why it sat. She wasn't even living in it. So, I would guess minimum of 12-13 years, maybe longer than that. It's a Heil. I have had not one issue, other than snake wrapping itself around the fan motor, and when motor kick on, pretty much went down hill from there. Snake was in pieces..hahaha

I went to buy motor and cap at Locke supply and put it in myself. Saved some $$ there.

Going to shop around for windows and some place that will do spray foam in the attic.

One A/C guy that sound pretty honest told me if I were to move up, I would need to go to 3.5 ton. Hoping windows and possibly spraying the attic will do for now.

Will look into this manual J that 8MPG mentioned

Comment

If you foam the attic, you definitely dont want to go up in size. Keeping the a/c unit in a semi-conditioned space will keep your house cooler and work more efficient. Putting an a/c in an attic is a Texas curse. You may also look into cleaning up and sealing the attic ducting the best you can with mastic. I have read many places you lose 25% of your heating and cooling to duct loss.

This is the company I used:
            Manual J load calculation service - residential Wrightsoft Manual J, S & D HVAC design reports for permit. Upfront 10 or 14-Day pricing. 15+ years experience

Very reasonable.

Comment

Anyone have recommendation for windows and spray foam for attic?

Might just plan on doing the underside of roof only. That way I can still work future wiring

Comment

Franklin Foam has done my house, my shop and my parents house. Great people. Most employees have been there 20 years.

Comment

Called up Franklin's and out of their area, which I figures. I'm up in Mckinney.

Called up Foam Tech out of dallas, and they should be swinging by this weekend or next.

Talked for a little bit giving him details and gave me rough estimate of $2900.

Will probably do some more looking to see what other quotes I can get

just saw the tags.....fuckers..hahahahahah

Comment

i hate having a heat pump w/o furnace. may not be as much of a challenge for you down there, but up here it was 12* this morning and the heat pump w/ aux on only kept the house at 66* overnight. I got an alert that my second stage heat had been on for in excess of an hour, so i know it was at least trying. Given the option, i'd much prefer a standard ac and furnace, or at least a geothermal heat pump that didn't rely on ambient temps to be able to perform.

Comment

I am thinking going the foam route 1st.

Granted, we dont have that cold up there, but will see what this foam can do with current unit.

Comment

I never cared for heat pump efficiency on the cooling side of things in FTW with the one and only unit I ever had. The heating part was fine, although there really isn't much of a winter season in this part of TX.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          I never cared for heat pump efficiency on the cooling side of things in FTW with the one and only unit I ever had. The heating part was fine, although there really isn't much of a winter season in this part of TX.
                          Weird. I thought the ac part was the same just an added reversing valve for the heating mode.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Those that have Foam in attic

1. Do you have the soffits covered as well.

2. Do you have a damper that installs with the air handler to bring in fresh air.

One place says they will leave soffits open, but other place says must seal everything to make it semi-condition, but I would need damper installed to bring in fresh air from outside. New vent that connects somewhere outside to bring in fresh air to unit/house.

Comment

I do not have foam but you would want soffits covered. You would not.need an ERV at this point. I am sure your house is not very tight.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I agree with the above. Definitely foam the soffits. You want to seal the entire attic off from the outside. I dont think your house will be tight enough to need an ERV either. I have foamed walls and roofline and do not have an ERV. Its been fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X