Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt View Post
    If you need someone clear the motor out or to dust the cobwebs off the cobra while you are gone, just let me know
    Not going to be gone that long at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      congrats?
      I appreciate it. Hopefully on my 18hrs off tomorrow I can catch the guy on the phone to get more details

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
        Not going to be gone that long at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        so no more 6 month stents. bet the ole lady will be happy about that. how long will you be gone at a time?

Comment

I dunno man, I couldnt leave the kids for that long. Sounds more like something that you want to do rather than what is best for the fam.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
            Not really. It can put the family in a financial situation that cannot be had otherwise. Some families can handle a member going out to work for a few months,at a time. You can spend a lot of time together in between while most are still chasing their asses just to make this month's bills. Working 8-12 hours a day plus an hour commute before and after work sounds like mindless bullshit to some of us. I've done that and saw very little of my family that way too.

this
            Originally posted by Sean88gt
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

You guys need medics?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                so no more 6 month stents. bet the ole lady will be happy about that. how long will you be gone at a time?
                I will be eligible for 21 days off after every 75 on. Since this is a short contract, I am thinking of taking a short 2 weeks at the half way point. I will still earn paid time off each week and if I don't use it, I can cash it in at the end of the contract or roll it over to the next assignment they put me on. If I remember right, I will earn 7.5 hours a week.

She has put up with me being gone for up to 6 months, once. If anything, it will be my daughter that will miss me the most. It will be tough on both of us BUT this current oilfield rotation keeps the little one used to me leaving.
                Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                I dunno man, I couldnt leave the kids for that long. Sounds more like something that you want to do rather than what is best for the fam.
                Denny hit it on the head. We did the math, when I was gone in Afghanistan, I was home the same amount that I am now in the oilfield making a fraction of what I used to. Money can't buy happiness or time with my family but it gives them a better quality of life. It isn't easy and it certainly isn't for everyone.

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
                You guys need medics?
                Do you have a Secret or better clearance that went final no more than 10 years ago? Medics with a Secret and prior combat experience can get a job in a heartbeat. Triple Canopy, Xe (Blackwater), there are a bunch of them that would take you with those qualifications.

Comment

I got an email from the companies open source intel annalist

No U.S. Consulate support; significant difficulty if detained for any reason
                  Ineffective police presence throughout the country. Rampant lawlessness, violent crime, gangs, clan and tribal violence, banditry and widespread looting;
                  Ongoing extreme terrorist attacks, abduction and extreme violent crime in all parts of the country including Somaliland

o 20140524; Al-Shabaab attack Somalia's parliament; 10 CIV KIA; 11 CIV WIA

o 20150327; Al-Shabaab attacks Central Hotel, Mogadishu; 20 CIV KIA

Frequent abductions of any identified western personnel including aid workers, journalists and religious representatives. Westerners abducted from Kenya often held in Somalia
                  Indiscriminate targeting and killing of Westerners and those working for western and international organizations throughout the country
                  Frequent Terrorist attacks in Mogadishu against identified foreigners;

o Mogadishu International Airport: HVT: 20151525; 3 AMISOM KIA; 1 CIV Ctr. KIA

Unpredictable, violent, demonstrations
                  Waterborne (a.k.a. pirates) attacks against all forms of shipping in and around Somalia's waters. Somali pirates operate over some 4 million square kilometers extending far beyond national waters. Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden remains critical threat areas
                  World Health Organization declared polio virus public health emergency of international concern and has issued recommendations (renewed in February 2015) that may affect travel to Somalia

Well that just looks insane.

Comment

Im not sure there is an amount of money I'm worth to go to that.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      Im not sure there is an amount of money I'm worth to go to that.
                      Not gonna lie, it has me a little apprehensive but this is a once in a lifetime experience. If I jump in and do what I do for 7 months, I am back in the game and can write my own ticket with the company. This isn't like Afghanistan or Iraq where were were surrounded by tens of thousands of military. There may be less than 50 where I am going but these are a very special 50 or so. I have faith in them. Smaller profile makes for a smaller target too.

Comment

Ineffective police presence throughout the country. Rampant lawlessness, violent crime, gangs, clan and tribal violence, banditry and widespread looting;
                        Ongoing extreme terrorist attacks, abduction and extreme violent crime in all parts of the country including Somaliland

Frequent abductions of any identified western personnel including aid workers, journalists and religious representatives. Westerners abducted from Kenya often held in Somalia
                        Indiscriminate targeting and killing of Westerners and those working for western and international organizations throughout the country

Waterborne (a.k.a. pirates) attacks against all forms of shipping in and around Somalia's waters. Somali pirates operate over some 4 million square kilometers extending far beyond national waters. Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden remains critical threat areas
                        World Health Organization declared polio virus public health emergency of international concern and has issued recommendations (renewed in February 2015) that may affect travel to Somalia

Will popsicles be available? Because if they are, that'll just be a good time.

Seriously though, this sounds like a grade A shitstorm. I'm not sure I'd even consider it unless 24/7 battle rattle was an option.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Chicago?
                          I thought you were going to Somalia?

David

Comment

Lmao!
                            QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

The last gig that I was asked if I would go on was to somewhere in Africa, doing MRAP work again, but the Army told our travel division boss that they weren't sure they could guarantee our safety on the convoys in and out. Our boss politely declined to send us until the Army had more forces in place. That gig and a contract rep in Afghanistan were the only two where we would have been issued M4's as a DOD civilian. Be interesting to see if you are going to be part of the security solution for the military.
                              Last edited by fastwhite99gt; 11-24-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

One of my interns from my old shop goes to Kenya all the time to work on alternative energy projects. This kid couldn't kick his own ass so the place can't be that horrible.

One question that I would have to answer is how much money does it pay? I am sure it varies by assignment but does it pay well (say $150K annual equivalent) or is it fuck you money ($350K plus)?

The other thing you have to be doing is building your warchest when you take these jobs, instead of wasting money on useless shit (like cars lol!), build a fat ass bankroll that pays dividends or pay off your house. Or both.
                                Originally posted by racrguy
                                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                                Originally posted by racrguy
                                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X