• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation Choices

Chattanooga, TN
    Knoxville, TN
    Greenville, SC
    Asheville, NC

I got this thing in the works - work remote from any of the above locations, travel to the others as a regional Field Engineer.

The relocation would be paid for by the company. If we agree to my coming to work for them based on tomorrow's final interview results, I would get to spend time in each over a 4 month period to decide for myself..

I have been doing plenty of research over the last week, there are pros and cons to each.

Asheville looks fucking awesome, Greenville looks like a good place to buy a couple of investment houses and then move out and to any of the others...

TN has no state taxes but the infrastructure overall condition look a bit on the hillbilly side..

Asheville is a cool place. Used to stay there when I went to the NASCAR races.

I've read recently that Knoxville has some crime and other issues..

Comment

Yes I have been reading stuff like that, too about Knoxville. I wouldn't be living in poverty, but in general I heard a recurring theme regarding poor trash pickup, bad roads, horrible drivers and nothing on earth to do that's fun..

In general, all of the cities are not good if you are going there looking for work, but I'm good on all that.

Comment

I say Chattanooga or Asheville. Just the surrounding scenic spots alone would be worth it. They are both a relatively short drive to the Tail of the Dragon, which is a bucket list thing. 318 curves in 11 miles.

Comment

Here is a review on Knoxville..... highly entertaining!

A total hillbilly crap-hole. The stupidest, meanest most vile southern scumbags, meth heads, oxy-poppers, inbred, hypo-christian, bigoted, cruel, moronic hicks to be found. If the national mean IQ is 100, here it is no more than eighty. Generations of poor pre and post natal nutrition and healthcare, lack of investment in education, profoundly polluted air and water are all part of the reason.
          Everyone here looks alike because they are all related, a virgin is defined as a gal than can run faster than her brothers.
          Worst drivers I have ever seen. The only place I have seen someone BACK UP in the exit lane because they wanted the next one. Forget about turn signals, ha!
          A more ignorant people you will not find. Proudly so. Dumb as a bag of hammers. A deep, to the bone stupid you just can't fix. Someone is weekly blowing their little brothers brains out 'cause "Daddy lef' his gun lyin' about again, oh, what a tragic accident!", seriously?
          Here are a people who are lying, insular, deeply suspicious of education and the educated, ultra-right fascist gun nut reactionaries with an utterly corrupt local and state gub'ment.
          Do yourself a favor and take a pass on Knoxville.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post

A total hillbilly crap-hole. The stupidest, meanest most vile southern scumbags, meth heads, oxy-poppers, inbred, hypo-christian, bigoted, cruel, moronic hicks to be found. If the national mean IQ is 100, here it is no more than eighty. Generations of poor pre and post natal nutrition and healthcare, lack of investment in education, profoundly polluted air and water are all part of the reason.
            Everyone here looks alike because they are all related, a virgin is defined as a gal than can run faster than her brothers.
            Worst drivers I have ever seen. The only place I have seen someone BACK UP in the exit lane because they wanted the next one. Forget about turn signals, ha!
            A more ignorant people you will not find. Proudly so. Dumb as a bag of hammers. A deep, to the bone stupid you just can't fix. Someone is weekly blowing their little brothers brains out 'cause "Daddy lef' his gun lyin' about again, oh, what a tragic accident!", seriously?
            Here are a people who are lying, insular, deeply suspicious of education and the educated, ultra-right fascist gun nut reactionaries with an utterly corrupt local and state gub'ment.
            Sounds like a review from a transplant liberal from California.

I recommend Asheville, because you're right up near the Smokies. Beautiful country. And if you're serious about rentals you could buy one and rent it out near Gatlinburg.

Comment

I lived in Memphis Tennessee in the 70s, my dad was a police officer there. I have great memories of Tennessee but I'm sure that the methamphetamine and oxycontin pandemic have destroyed everything that I liked about the place.

Tennessee also has the lowest rate of college graduates in the nation so if you want to feel like a genius amongst the people you live around it is the place.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                I lived in Memphis Tennessee in the 70s, my dad was a police officer there. I have great memories of Tennessee but I'm sure that the methamphetamine and oxycontin pandemic have destroyed everything that I liked about the place.

Tennessee also has the lowest rate of college graduates in the nation so if you want to feel like a genius amongst the people you live around it is the place.
                Is that why you live there?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that why you live there?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
                  ?, not sure I follow you. We moved out of there in the early 80s.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Chattanooga is more affordable than Asheville, both are excellent choices.

Comment

I spent a couple years in Chattanooga as a teen, all I can add is that it was a helluva place to learn to drive a stick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        Sounds like a review from a transplant liberal from California.
                        I'm as Texan as Texan can be and I agree with that review. Tennessee is a shithole. I vastly preferred Kentucky, it reminded me of Texas back in the early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                          ?, not sure I follow you. We moved out of there in the early 80s.
                          I was referring to the live there if you want to feel like a genius part.

OK lived.....

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            I'm as Texan as Texan can be and I agree with that review. Tennessee is a shithole. I vastly preferred Kentucky, it reminded me of Texas back in the early 90's.
                            A little overzealous IMO. I’ve seen towns in rural West Virginia not even that bad as described.

Comment

Asheville is a kickass spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X