Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's amazing the stuff you can say in an interview when you already have a job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's amazing the stuff you can say in an interview when you already have a job...

Q: Why do you want to leave your current job?
    A: I am not really sure that I do.

Q: How much are you looking for?
    A: I am pretty happy where I am at, it would take a substantial increase for me to make a move. I am interested in hearing the range.

Q: How much are you making now?
    A: I won't disclose, I am interested in hearing what your range is for this position.

Q: What did you think about our technical aptitude test?
    A: I work with this stuff every day. I thought I was relatively easy.

Q: We can offer you $XX for this position, would that interest you?
    A: No, I am an experienced candidate for this role, it would really take $(add 20K on top of that)

"We'll discuss that with our Denmark and U.S. division heads and get back to you", hopefully we can work out something.

...."That would be great."

2 weeks later......

Q: We can offer you (exactly what I thought they would come back with) 15K on top of our original offer... do we have an agreement?
    A: No, since we last talk, I have had my review and an increase that is going to keep me put for the foreseeable future.

Baller status confirmed....

Comment

Sounds like you're a time wasting son-of-a-bitch.

Comment

Nah, actually I am really grateful. I must remain humble... I remember when I was desperate for work and was actually not a desirable employee.

Through a lot of hard work I am of some value on this earth again.

I also have a bit of loyalty to my current company and this other gig would have put me on the road quite a bit, and I like my own bed, and my wife and dog.

Comment

...all your missing is the girlfriend!

Comment

I always tell people to look for a job when they still have a job.

One will net you more money and open more options. The other will possibly reduce your salary and force you to take a less than optimum position. I never understood the people that wait to get laid off...but then again they're the under performers so I guess they're not known for good decision making.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              That back and forth started while my review was upcoming. The end result of my review and increase dictated my final decision....

At the very least it was damn good practice with no consequences.

The ballsy move is when you try that shit while sitting at home really needing work, lol.

Comment

It’s way better to have them come to you instead of vice versa. I ended up staying put since I know I’m staring at complete job security. It’s nice knowing what you will be working on tomorrow, next week, next month and next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                  ...all your missing is the girlfriend!
                  or an apostrophe and the letter "e".

Comment

Must be nice.. imagine the awesomeness if svo boarded the boat

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
                      Must be nice.. imagine the awesomeness if svo boarded the boat
                      If SVO is boarding, then it's a yacht. SVO Bilzerian doesn't fuck with boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        If SVO is boarding, then it's a yacht. SVO Bilzerian doesn't fuck with boats.
                        It’s probably a mega yacht loaded with Russian talent, an ice bar, two helipads, and a smaller yacht launch for going ashore.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          Negative, that process is how you determine what you're truly worth in the marketplace. Sure, you may think your current employer is paying you baller money, but the only way to know for sure is to go through the interview process to see if other companies will beat your current compensation by a sizeable amount.

Comment

And all of this was done by phone, site unseen by the other company. They are based in the Netherlands. They operate a bit differently. I did 2 group phone interviews and took an aptitude and technical knowledge test, they made me an offer and sent a contract. I turned down that offer and threw out another figure.

In the mean time my review at my current job came up and my raise was a 17% raise, they are paying for my further specialized education, and I can operate how I see fit with no micromanagement. I work with a good group of guys and we are a great team.The education I am getting will be of great value and get me to my goal of being an independent consultant / programmer / integrator someday. We design custom automation machines, do all the electronic design, PLC and Motion Control programming, etc. My job is to make our new shit work with their existing automation / robotic equipment.

Then the other company came back with their offer and I turned it down. That job was a lot of travel to different industries that use robotic cutting equipment to cut steel tubing and beams for the shipbuilding industry. Integration of equipment, commissioning and training. Constant travel. A bit more money but not worth it overall, I am tired of traveling that much.

Anytime you can practice interviewing, negotiating, and gauging your value, it is well worth the time spent. In my case I never even got out of my boxer shorts to do it.

Am I almost as bad ass as Semi-Neurotic-SVO?

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              or an apostrophe and the letter "e".
                              This is true, the boss walked in, no time to proof...

Comment

Working...
                              X