Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First sponsored KF Challenge was an eventful one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    I watched a few seconds but to be completely fair the only fishing content I've ever watched and enjoyed was river monsters and this old dudes blooper reels....so I may be an overly critical judge.

It's hard to be objective in your case because you were there at the time and are reflecting on the fun you had. As someone who wasnt there I just see 2 old dudes on a boat. I didn't even see a fish until 30 seconds in which is an eternity on YouTube. I only watched that far because you asked if I thought it was funny. I would imagine your audience retention is really low. Plus the audio is terrible...no music and I can hear wins right off the bat.

Post a popular video of a fishing channel you actually do watch and I can tell you what they do different that you may not be realizing.

So maybe it's me just not being that interested in the topic, or maybe it's that there is still a lot of room for improvement...or both. Either way...if you're having fun who cares?
    Lol I posted a video with music and everyone was complaining "I'd rather hear nature n shit" or "I hate music in a youtube video" and it was extremely windy we probably shouldn't have even been on the water but it was his only time he was in town to do the challenge and I tried a mic but it was just louder wind noise. I watch a lot of LakeForkGuy.

I'm a fishing freak & outdoorsman with a camera providing tips, how to, instruction, and documenting nature's awesomeness from woods and water around the world. I love to go bass fishing in ponds, lakes, and creeks, but I also love to travel to new places and explore new fishing and hunting grounds while bushcraft camping anywhere.

Thank you for helping me out bud

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      Read the title fast and thought it was for a KFC challenge.
      That exactly what I thought I saw....

Comment

Some of the commentary gets pretty funny around the 4 minute mark we are in 8ft of water after his phone fell over board and he says get me the net. Ok he reaches over the side and i ask what you want me to grab your ankles? He then strips down to his underwear and he says I wish I had some goggles I could see it I tell him just to stick his head under water. He says I can't see it
        I'm not a fish! lol the water is so clear you can see the bottom from the boat. After he jumps in his commentary on the water being so cold is pretty funny.

Comment

Ok heres what I've noticed so far:

1 - as I mentioned before...when you watch this video you knew what was going on and are reliving a moment that was funny to you. But would you ever flip through a random unknown person's family videos? I thought the guy did a scripted fake fall and then Just went swimming. You don't want to have to explain what's going on.

If I were redoing that scene it would be the quick clips of the fall, a shot of the phone in the water, bending over with a net...then jumping in and recovering with a nice celebration. That tells the story of what happened in a 10s format to grab audience attention. 4 minutes to get to that part is way too long...viewers have left by then.

2 - horrible audio and no narration. For windy scenes use a dead cat cover or just dub over the sound with narration or music. There was only 1 guy that complained about music and it was soap...never take advice from soap.

Narration is important to connect dots as well as keep interest. The guy you posted has good narration and keeps the story flowing.

3 - Shot variety and cinematic scenes. All of your filming is from the inside of the boat. Notice how the channel you shared has several different setting within a minute? He also has better camera quality. You can get awesome quality with a modern cell phone camera.

Now your video looks like this:

10s of the phone fiasco as described above

30 to 45s intro. This is you talking about what the viewer will see. But don't do it all from the boat. You want to start with a video of you for a few seconds then jump cut in random scene changes to keep your variety up. This can be as simple as you pulling out of a slip, at the boat doc...etc. just changing scenes as you give an overview of what will happen.

30 to 45s - back to some fun attention grabbing scenes with narration and/or music to start the segways into the point of the video.

45-60s - get to the meat of your story. This is where you can stop trying so hard to keep people attention and tell the story you want to tell in detail. It may even be over a minute. But if just you on a boat with no narration and little action, expect high audience fall off.

Then you can close out with a bit more action and an outro.

Comment

It takes a tremendous amount of filming and editing to make modern YouTube entertainment.

As an extreme example of film variety, check out the video below. This guy has gotten thousands of people to watch him read a letter from the FAA just through scene variety alone:

His scenes have absolutely no correlation to his topic...butnhes maintaining a high level of retention regardless. This is extreme and wouldn't work everytime, but it's a powerful example.

Comment

Thanks Ruff the next time i go out on PK i think i may suction cup a camera just under the waterline of my boat to see under water and tie a rope around it to a cleat so i dont lose it and go put a camera on the bank to get another angle just hope I dont forget it. Ive got 5 go pros 3 3's, 3+, and a 4.
              Back to the video
              His wife kept blowing up his phone so I had to watch the video to see if he got pissed and threw it in or just dropped it but after he told me it was a $900 phone and insurance was $200 yeah we had to find that phone.

Comment

The water line camera is a good idea.

It will also help to write down a list of shots you want to get beforehand and make sure you get them. So maybe you put a camera on the bank then film a few takes and retrieve the camera.

GoPros are wide angle so they limit the type and quality of your shots so you may also try to add some standard FOV shots.

I look forward to seeing how these videos come along. The unfortunate part is that most of the work required to put together top notch content is spent away from doing the part that you actually like...fishing.

Comment

So Krazy, are you filming these or just finding them?

Comment

Came here for Fried chicken too
                    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                      It's his channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        The water line camera is a good idea.

It will also help to write down a list of shots you want to get beforehand and make sure you get them. So maybe you put a camera on the bank then film a few takes and retrieve the camera.

GoPros are wide angle so they limit the type and quality of your shots so you may also try to add some standard FOV shots.

I look forward to seeing how these videos come along. The unfortunate part is that most of the work required to put together top notch content is spent away from doing the part that you actually like...fishing.
                        thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                          filming

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                            Came here for Fried chicken too

sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              There's a reason that "Do you ever F*** the fish?" is the only response you've gotten from 4 of these threads. Surely there's a fishing forum out there for you.
                              Lol.

OP. Lots of us use or have used the Texas hunting forum aka THF,
                              They also have a sister site Texas fishing forum TFF. It’s pretty Awesome.
                              The original Texas Fishing Forum covering all fishing in Texas - fresh and salt water discussion, news, events, guides, classifieds, tournaments and more.

Also recommend that you create an IG account specific for generating traffic to your YouTube channel.
                              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                                Lol.

OP. Lots of us use or have used the Texas hunting forum aka THF,
                                They also have a sister site Texas fishing forum TFF. It’s pretty Awesome.
                                The original Texas Fishing Forum covering all fishing in Texas - fresh and salt water discussion, news, events, guides, classifieds, tournaments and more.

Also recommend that you create an IG account specific for generating traffic to your YouTube channel.
                                I'm on both the hunting and fishing forum.
                                will check out an IG account thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X