DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

First rule of Fight Club...

If you are living in the country, you need motion activated L.E.D lights, mine light up 25 yrds like the day. Most of the time this alone will deter meth heads, naynay knockers and most critters.
You only need one gun.
I probably wouldn't have gone outside, they went far enough away to see what you would do and you did it (good and bad).
Good, they see there is a man living there and your armed,
bad if they come back they know what to bring and how many and how you react, which door you came out of, etc..
There are plenty of camera systems that don't need internet.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #22
lincolnboy
By da people fo da people

Overthinker....
lincolnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #23
juiceweezl
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
Overthinker....
Maybe the first time that has ever been said about a member here...
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #24
lincolnboy

Dfw member are over achievers
Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
All of this. I have a G17 in my nightstand with a good flashlight (with strobe) next to it. The gun has night sights too. If I hear bump in the night, I'm coming at you with it in my undies. I will not take the time to dress, put on shoes, load a gun, etc. There is an M500 with tactical setup with a full tube of defense loads in the cabinet by the bed. The wife gets it when I leave and heads to the kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
Why would you grab an AR and 30rd mags leaving the house?

My whole point is you're overthinking all of this and you already had the solution to your problem loaded on your nightstand.

It wasn't a lack of equipment or loaded weaponry that went wrong...it was a lack of mental preparedness.

Just like juiceweezl said, I'm hoping up in my underwear and grabbing my pistol from the nightstand with a light. I'm not going to mess with preparing for an army of 10 people, I'm not going to grab my thermal...I'm not even grabbing an extra mag. I might check my cameras, but if a loaded magazine with a few loud bangs and possible hit doesnt scare them off...then I'll lock the door and go back to my arsenal. If they are prepared for that then they're going to win anyways.
I'm definitely not disputing what you're saying. I guess I was just more comfortable with the shotgun and the pistol as a backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
First rule of Fight Club...

If you are living in the country, you need motion activated L.E.D lights, mine light up 25 yrds like the day. Most of the time this alone will deter meth heads, naynay knockers and most critters.

I'm headed to the store to run a couple solar powered ones until I can get some wiring ran to the corners of the house. I thought about it being a prank knocker but this is definitely a long way to pull a dangerous prank such as that.

You only need one gun.
I probably wouldn't have gone outside, they went far enough away to see what you would do and you did it (good and bad).
Good, they see there is a man living there and your armed,
bad if they come back they know what to bring and how many and how you react, which door you came out of, etc..

Well crap...

There are plenty of camera systems that don't need internet.

Quote:
Overthinker....
yep
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #26
soap
I ♥️ 🐄

I’ve had a few of these learning curves in my lifetime.
Till this day the craziest thing that’s ever happened was the same with OP, around three or 4 AM but in my case I actually had 4 “hood” you know with the full blown 30 inch wheels limo tent that bullshit. Pull into my driveway and I swear no less than 12 to 15 black guys got out of those cars and are just looking around and are huddled up like planning out something. Call the cops waiting for them pretty much the entire family has harmed in themselves. And are just waiting for those doors to get to the call the cops Walmart waiting for them pretty much the entire family has harmed in themselves. And are just waiting for an intrusion attempt.

And I think last year or so had something similar happene. Now until Dan I’ve always kept my loaded gun in my nightstand which was on the opposite side of my bedroom. And I have a bad habit of turning that same drawer with the gun and ammo in it into a junk drawer and snack drawer. So imagine being in a situation where you need to get your gun quickly it’s dark you’re reaching for a gun but instead you end up grabbing a bag of chips! pissed me the fuck off!

Nowadays I have one of those little chairs in my bedroom what the furr shit on it. and that sits next to my head while I’m sleeping I put my phone my watch and outher devices that need charging but most importantly I keep the CCW on it.

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #27
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

Also, take a walk from the door they knocked on and follow a straight line, look for a trail into bushes/saplings/weeds and see if they left footprints, tramped grass. Kind of get an idea of where they came from and left to. Also if you are out of the city limits, fire off a round or 3 of bird shot into that area if they do it again, fuck'em!

On the motion light, if you are going to run power, I would use switch controlled lights around your access doors and the motions on the perimeters of the house. The L.E.D.'s I bought at Lowes are very bright and use very little power. An they have the usual 3/5/ minute auto on.

Heres the ones I have, they work great, no issues for three years.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-...mer/1000215623

Last edited by Rick Modena; 01-07-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #28
soap
I ♥️ 🐄

Let me put it out there ghosts?

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap View Post
Let me put it out there ghosts?
I don't think they would knock.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #30
Brandon-k
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
In that instance, since its country, Id prefer a very available AR pistol with a light and iron sights.
This. I run a suppressed .300blk pistol by the nightstand w/ surefire scout. Gotta make it quiet so you can shoo out/finish the hookers and flush/finish all the blow before the fuzz shows up.
Brandon-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #31
inline 6
IN GOD WE TRUST

Only think I can offer is that if I lived out in the sticks I would have the baddest flashlight ever. I like to think I already do though but there is always bigger and better. I piss the neighbors off as it is when I take mine out to show people. I would love to have the kind of property to actually utilize them to their potential.
inline 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #32
mustang_revival
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
fire off a round or 3 of bird shot into that area if they do it again, fuck'em!
this

mustang_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #33
95DRGT
Lifer

Quote:
Dfw member are over achievers
inner-city children of promise but without the--without the means for higher education
95DRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #34
Chas_svo
86 SVO 344rwhp 'n gaining
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karson View Post
We recently got one for our house and while it serves the purpose of what we wanted, I would definitely not recommend relying on it for security. If you can't get the cloud feature, it's pointless in my opinion. The only thing I've learned with it so far is that the neighbor's dog likes to piss on my front porch pillar and sets the motion sensor off every time. You cannot adjust contrast either so during the day the street in front of my house is just a bunch of washed out white. I'd definitely pay for a proper system.
There's an update for that.

Lights, cameras, dog, move faster.
01 TJ - new toy (gone)
65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold, 3/21/13
Chas_svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #35
JC316
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I don't think they would knock.
You'd be surprised at what ghosts do.

I live in the country, property is fenced, got a big dog that goes apeshit if anyone is within 100 yards of him and guns ready to go. Only weird thing to have ever happened out here was either a mountain lion, or one big ass bobcat.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #36
Nash B.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
You'd be surprised at what ghosts do.
You can't put limits on aliens ghosts
Nash B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #37
GE
6 Cliff Trail, Frisco, TX

What's all this horse shit about strobe? Most useless thing ever. I've yet to see a solid, well regarded instructor ever recommend using strobe.

Like a few others have said, you were way over thinking this. Train, train, train. Did I mention train?

Pistol, weapon mounted light, and hand held light. That's all you needed. What you really need is to get into a low light pistol class. You do not want to be figuring out lights/weapon choices when it's for all the marbles.

Jose and I are just a couple of the guys on here that do any sort of training. Come join us in a class sometime. He's already ahead of the class registrations for this year though!
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #38
shumpertdavid
You Can't Fix Stupid
VIP Member

I want lights and a camera system for what I can't see when I'm not home and what comes around in the dark that wakes me and I couldn't find. However, when I'm about to step out into the unknown, I want a flashlight ready to go but off, a firearm I can control, and I want it dark as shit where I'm coming from and where I'm going. If there's someone lurking, a bright ass flashlight tells them where you are and a lit house inside and outside gives away your position and movements as well. You know your property, you know where your shit is located mostly so moving around in low and no light shouldn't be too tough usually. My first reaction once outside is to take up a position and monitor and listen. If someone is out there, I want to hear them first, not the other way around.

I understand everyones first reaction is to want to light the world up and wake the house, but I prefer the element of surprise. Keep calm, stay quiet and be prepared and for damn sure make sure everyone in the house is on the same page. Also keep your phone on vibrate so as not to spook or give off your position.

I've hidden on a piece of property we own before late at night. No one lives there, and I went over about midnight to do some shooting with one of my Ar rigs and night vision. I was shooting from a spot about 140 yards into the property (that gives me 100 yards to my targets and the backstop just behind them) and had the trees and house to block me decently from road traffic unless you actually turn onto our property. I guess the shots (7.62x39 suppressed that night but still had a good crack when it breaks the sound barrier) spooked some of the neighbors or they thought maybe someone was poaching on their lands. I heard a couple trucks coming down the road at a pretty rapid pace, then they stopped to talk to each other at the neighbors entrance. I sat in the bed of the truck, watched their movements, listened to the mumbles, and basically waited to see if they ever looked like they might turn onto our place as they worked up and down the road several. I was prepared to blind anyone that walked/drove up and positioned in a way to have the defensive. I wasn't intending to be defensive or forceful, but if they thought I was intruding I wanted to have the upper hand until we got it sorted. I keep to myself and mind my own business, I mostly just maintain and mow the place so I don't see the neighbors much. We have 10.5 acres and the 2 on each side of us have 100s each.

Anyway, point is, they never found me or knew I was there. I was legally on my place and doing no wrong, but I took it as an opportunity to monitor and surveillance rather than to alert my presence.

I learned a long long time ago as a little kid running the lake at night with my dad, that it's easier to "see" in the dark than in the light. On a night with little to no boat traffic we'd always kill all lights: navigation, instrument, and cockpit. Once our eyes adjusted we could make out shorelines, land points, etc. It freaks people the fuck out when I take them out at night and start turning stuff off. Their first response is they can't see without the lights. I tell them to wait a few seconds and look around. Then turn the nav and instrument lights on. I ask why they see and it's always the same. They see a few feet. Kill the lights and ask them to look out across the water, they'll see the shores and reflections, make out land masses, see lights on shore that can be used as points of reference, etc. It's unsafe if they're are other boaters for sure, but I'll take being able to see over some guy miles away seeing me. I keep a watch and will turn on lights if I'm within a mile or more of another vessel.
www.rusertmachine.com Midland,TX 432 684-7644

Last edited by shumpertdavid; 01-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.
shumpertdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #39
ceyko
Lifer

I will only add that in my neck of VA we had 2 KNOWN houses entered into. One I know the person first hand - and the person was sleeping on the couch as soon as the person knew someone was awake they bolted.

2 Days later another home had some stuff stolen in the middle of the night. Both were between 2-5 (first was specifically 4 in the morning)

These happened before Christmas and then bam - no more reports of it.

Also based off monitoring VAPD on the scanner, can confirm both Grayson Co and VAPD have thermal and have used it a few times that I caught to find folks. I know VAPD puts out effort to find folks doing these things, my scanner is too old to be able to monitor Grayson Co. - which is a bummer the really good stuff is often on that net.

Any way - be aware that that VA has someone doing this - just because we don't hear about it anymore - your post makes me believe that person is still floating around - or could be other riff-raff that's moving up this way.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #40
lincolnboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumpertdavid View Post
I want lights and a camera system for what I can't see when I'm not home and what comes around in the dark that wakes me and I couldn't find. However, when I'm about to step out into the unknown, I want a flashlight ready to go but off, a firearm I can control, and I want it dark as shit where I'm coming from and where I'm going. If there's someone lurking, a bright ass flashlight tells them where you are and a lit house inside and outside gives away your position and movements as well. You know your property, you know where your shit is located mostly so moving around in low and no light shouldn't be too tough usually. My first reaction once outside is to take up a position and monitor and listen. If someone is out there, I want to hear them first, not the other way around.

I understand everyones first reaction is to want to light the world up and wake the house, but I prefer the element of surprise. Keep calm, stay quiet and be prepared and for damn sure make sure everyone in the house is on the same page. Also keep your phone on vibrate so as not to spook or give off your position.

I've hidden on a piece of property we own before late at night. No one lives there, and I went over about midnight to do some shooting with one of my Ar rigs and night vision. I was shooting from a spot about 140 yards into the property (that gives me 100 yards to my targets and the backstop just behind them) and had the trees and house to block me decently from road traffic unless you actually turn onto our property. I guess the shots (7.62x39 suppressed that night but still had a good crack when it breaks the sound barrier) spooked some of the neighbors or they thought maybe someone was poaching on their lands. I heard a couple trucks coming down the road at a pretty rapid pace, then they stopped to talk to each other at the neighbors entrance. I sat in the bed of the truck, watched their movements, listened to the mumbles, and basically waited to see if they ever looked like they might turn onto our place as they worked up and down the road several. I was prepared to blind anyone that walked/drove up and positioned in a way to have the defensive. I wasn't intending to be defensive or forceful, but if they thought I was intruding I wanted to have the upper hand until we got it sorted. I keep to myself and mind my own business, I mostly just maintain and mow the place so I don't see the neighbors much. We have 10.5 acres and the 2 on each side of us have 100s each.

Anyway, point is, they never found me or knew I was there. I was legally on my place and doing no wrong, but I took it as an opportunity to monitor and surveillance rather than to alert my presence.

I learned a long long time ago as a little kid running the lake at night with my dad, that it's easier to "see" in the dark than in the light. On a night with little to no boat traffic we'd always kill all lights: navigation, instrument, and cockpit. Once our eyes adjusted we could make out shorelines, land points, etc. It freaks people the fuck out when I take them out at night and start turning stuff off. Their first response is they can't see without the lights. I tell them to wait a few seconds and look around. Then turn the nav and instrument lights on. I ask why they see and it's always the same. They see a few feet. Kill the lights and ask them to look out across the water, they'll see the shores and reflections, make out land masses, see lights on shore that can be used as points of reference, etc. It's unsafe if they're are other boaters for sure, but I'll take being able to see over some guy miles away seeing me. I keep a watch and will turn on lights if I'm within a mile or more of another vessel.
Lights are just a pin point of your location. Keep in the dark. Dont show your location

Tags
buildwallaroundurhome, kimura would armbar, nay looking 4 dik, ruff cnc lazer gun, ruff cncd commando, ruff sez offer bootyhole, ruffwould takeit in ass, svo would bite his nose, wtf ruff??