Structural problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    I get the bolded part, but cavities with a lot of empty volume only serve to amplify that sound, right? I would think those sound waves bouncing around between the joists could be virtually eliminated in this way. While not eliminating the sound, it should at least cut the decibel level down.

I just don't know if it would be enough sound reduction to justify the expense / effort.
    Batt insulation won't help that much unless you crammed and packed all you could in there. Spray foam would though as it would serve to dampen it some and make the floor diaphragm more rigid as it stiffens the entire thing. There would still be sound transfer though. Our house isn't bad (2 bedrooms upstairs and the game/movie room between them), and we have 2 boys. The game/media room is located basically over the center of the house (above my office and part of the den/kitchen open area). The only time it is noticeable is when my 10 year old has a friend or two over and they start playing WWE style basketball on the hoop mounted to his door. Otherwise it's fine.

Comment

Tear floor out and check for hiding spots with money hidden

Comment

Not enough cowskin rugs on the upstairs floor. Not a dfwmustangs baller.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

How long have you been there?

Do you know if any foundation work/repair has been done?

I don't typically see those types of visual cues in 2 story homes, though everything we build that has living space on the second floor is done with I joist and Glue Lam beams and our sub floor is glued with sub floor adhesive and scrailed (screw/nail combo).

Typically when I see those types of "seams" in the ceiling, they are running along a ceiling joist in a 1 story home. The lumber has typically twisted for some reason causing the "bow" along the length of the framing member.

If the home has not had any sort of foundation repair, you could be seeing some effects of movement, though not quite as likely if there is living space directly above because those floor members should all be joined together via the sub floor.

It is difficult to see what all is going on, and really make an educated guess as to whether there may have been a wall that was taken out to create an open floor plan based on the pictures. The only way to really know if it was framed correctly for sure would be to open it up. Either pulling the carpet back and removing sub floor upstairs, or opening up the ceiling from the first floor.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I don’t expect it to be quiet but we have to tip toe upstairs so that it doesn’t sound like we’re stomping, downstairs. I appreciate y’alls input. Guess I’ll just keep an eye on it.
            .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              No worries, I'm not offended in the slightest.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. It's a direct transfer of sound from the foot pounding on the floor above straight to the ceiling and everything else below. We're pondering building a 2-story house and this is my biggest issue - how to build a 2-story and avoid this problem without spending a fortune.

The cracks in the drywall, on the other hand: welcome to North Texas.
              Easy, insulate the floors. Even simple batt insulation between the floors will take away most of the sound transfer, spray foam evan more. It costs almost nothing to add the batt in the floors during construction, builders don't do it because those few pennies fall to the bottom line for them. Our new house currently being built has our sons' rooms over the living space, but everything is insulated and the structure is over-built. You could have an elephant dance up there and hear almost nothing downstairs.
              1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
              TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
              Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                Easy, insulate the floors. Even simple batt insulation between the floors will take away most of the sound transfer, spray foam evan more. It costs almost nothing to add the batt in the floors during construction, builders don't do it because those few pennies fall to the bottom line for them. Our new house currently being built has our sons' rooms over the living space, but everything is insulated and the structure is over-built. You could have an elephant dance up there and hear almost nothing downstairs.
                I disagree based on experience but it's the internet so it doesn't really matter...

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                  I disagree based on experience but it's the internet so it doesn't really matter...
                  What works works. It may not be an STC rated assembly, but adding a "mass" to a hollow area definitely stops sound transmission and the booming effect of having what is basically a drum.

Our second floor is suspended by an 18" deep open web fabricated wood truss and serves to allow the first floor HVAC & second floor plumbing to run between and through the trusses. It also means we have a large amount of insulation as well as less direct transfer than you would experience with a solid 2x floor joist. The deck is a composite sheet material 1.5" thick with T&G connections, glued and screwed down.

Does all this cost more than common cookie cutter construction, sure, but not as much as piling the second floor with cow skin rugs as suggested above.

<<BTW, also registered Architect. But you are right, "it is the internet and so it really doesn't matter."

sigpic
                  Work In Progress

Comment

Cowskins provide that "WOW!" factor though that insulation never can, and show the world that you've made it to the big time

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      Cowskins provide that "WOW!" factor though that insulation never can, and show the world that you've made it to the big time
                      Can't argue with sound logic, the world ain't impressed by hidden insulation.

sigpic
                      Work In Progress

Comment

I saw something similar to this link on HGTV, Holmes on Homes, or some show he was doing. Basically, the drywall is not screwed into the joists, it uses a separate beam or strip to attach.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          Could you have them just roll in fiberglass insulation between the floor joists? Doesn't seem like it would be too expensive, though I guess it could be a PITA since the floor decking above it probably installed before the sheetrock below, so they'd have to put it in from below. But at least it should cut down the volume of the sound..

I would guess the larger the span of the floor joists the bigger issue this will be (sound transfer).

This kind of thing is one of the many reasons I intend to never own a 2 story house. I grew up in them and hated all of the noise they make.. Stairs, squeaky floors, thuds, stomping.. No thanks.
                          Great idea but fiberglass insulation will only help a small amount to deaden sound. If you substitute mineral wool it is an entirely different story.

Last year I pulled all of the sheetrock out of my garage walls / ceiling. The master bedroom is directly above the garage. All cavities were completely caulked and then filled with Roxul. 2 walls are 2x4 and the other walls are 2x6 and have either R15 or R23 and the ceiling I-joists are 16" have R60.

Now when upstairs you can barely hear my Bose speakers pounding in the garage at a high level or notice when the garage door opens. It used to sound as if you were in the same room. To decouple completely would be even better for sound cancellation but insulation was my primary goal.

Adding some sound control between the floors of a house should be standard procedure. Unfortunately this will only be found in custom homes where the owner requires it. Hell, my brother's home is worth close to 7 figures and you can hear every footstep in the house in the upper floors. Drives me nuts when I'm there visiting.

The side benefit of adding the insulation is that it never got uncomfortably hot in the garage this summer. Even when it was near 100* outside it was around 85* in the garage. Not bad for working out there in the evenings.
                          Last edited by slow84lx; 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

How does that stuff compare to a spray in insulatioin? My master suite is above the garage as well and I've been looking to do the same. I got quoted about 2200 for spray in on ceiling and walls of my 20x20 garage. That was with me doing tear out and rehanging the rock myself.

Comment

Bose speakers pounding. Lmao
                              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                                How does that stuff compare to a spray in insulatioin? My master suite is above the garage as well and I've been looking to do the same. I got quoted about 2200 for spray in on ceiling and walls of my 20x20 garage. That was with me doing tear out and rehanging the rock myself.

As insulation goes spray foam is superior; it seals completely resulting in higher R value per inch. Less air infiltration keeps the house more comfortable. Closed cell foam is also an excellent sound blocker.

Spray foam does have a few drawbacks: it's expensive, it's flammable, and it outgasses the solvents in it for a few days after application. I didn't want the chemicals in the house or the easy flammability (even though it is covered by sheetrock) in case of a fire. Mineral wool won't burn.

My garage is 19"x19" and I've got around a grand in insulation. It's worth every penny. I could have used less in the ceiling but I figured it was better to insulate as well as possible while the sheetrock was out.

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                                Bose speakers pounding. Lmao
                                Speakers in each corner and a good sized amp in a small tight space is overkill.
                                Last edited by slow84lx; 01-27-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X