Quieter than stock exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quieter than stock exhaust?

Never thought I'd be asking this, but are there any methods of quieting the stock muffler? I'm wanting to make my '17 into a better highway car, and the stock muffler isn't all that quiet at speed. It's actually the Roush active exhaust now, which is pretty much a stock muffler when closed.

I'll be able to open her up with the switch, is there anything I can maybe insert in the always open outlet per side?

Have you tried ear plugs old man?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
      Never thought I'd be asking this, but are there any methods of quieting the stock muffler? I'm wanting to make my '17 into a better highway car, and the stock muffler isn't all that quiet at speed. It's actually the Roush active exhaust now, which is pretty much a stock muffler when closed.

I'll be able to open her up with the switch, is there anything I can maybe insert in the always open outlet per side?
      Not sure how the '17's are, but on my '14 GT they pipe in engine noise. If it's the same, disconnect it from the fire wall and block it off. Makes a big diff.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
        Have you tried ear plugs old man?
        Track mode is straight-through, and I've got the custom setting to open the valves at 20% throttle. The car will still be plenty loud, just quieter at a cruise if I figure out the best way how.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        Not sure how the '17's are, but on my '14 GT they pipe in engine noise. If it's the same, disconnect it from the fire wall and block it off. Makes a big diff.
        I was reading that, no holes in the firewall though, I don't think the S550's have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          Track mode is straight-through, and I've got the custom setting to open the valves at 20% throttle. The car will still be plenty loud, just quieter at a cruise if I figure out the best way how.

I was reading that, no holes in the firewall though, I don't think the S550's have it.
          I'm not sure. But on my 14 it went from the intake to the top of the firewall right in front of the driver. Looking at the below, it looks like they still do it on your model.

Comment

Don’t they pipe noise into the new sports cars? Ditch and plug that sound pipe.

Comment

Sorry. I replied to this before refreshing the thread. I see that it’s been suggested already.

Comment

Likely not much you can do without restricting flow a good bit in the closed setting. If you dont care and the system design has enough space you could do a silencer/restrictor in the always open outlet.

With the value of that system I would sell it and see if the buyer would do a partial trade for their stock system.

Comment

Yes the s550’s have that stupid sound tube. The question is was it deleted with the blower install?

Comment

I didn't know he had a blower. I'd bet it was already deleted.

Comment

Yep, deleted with the blower install. I have been looking at inserts tonight, and the effect on sound level is minimal from what I can tell. Might pick up a pair of the cones just for shits and giggles. It's as quiet as stock in touring mode, so a trade wouldn't net me anything. Might be interesting to buy a second set of mufflers, and open them up to put glass and steel wool in there.

That's a lot of work though, so I think I'll see what some Dynamat in the trunk and doors does, the only challenge there is finding the time to install it. May have to wait and be a summer project for when the rest of the fam is in Russia.

It's not loud, I'm just used to the bimmer's smaller and turbo muffled exhaust and sound deadening. Nice and quiet on long drives, nothing like driving down to College Station with an off-road x-pipe and 2-chamber Flowmasters, like in the good old days.

Comment

add turbo

Comment

No CA legal kits are available, just blowers. Had I been in Texas I would have gone that route, but the Roush kit is legal and makes decent power down low.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not sure what the factory exhaust lay out is but I have had success modifying the exhaust tone in many cars by adding a straight through muffler after the main muffler. The longer you make the tail pipe after the second muffler the deeper tone you get. You can even get rid of droning by adding just one secondary muffler on one tail pipe while leaving the other one alone.

This is an example of what I have used before.

Get the Best Performance with Dynomax Race Bullet Muffler In/Out: 3" 24248 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Do you still have the factory resonator in the mid pipe?

Comment

Working...
                              X