No announcement yet.

2014 Dove Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind the fixed seasons. Here it's almost always really good the entire time as we are in the direct migratory path.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Academy has Rio game loads for 5.49 a box....I think they had some Winchesters for the same price as well.

Comment

I remember when a flat was $29. And it wasn't that long ago.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by elPolloLoco View Post
          Academy has Rio game loads for 5.49 a box....I think they had some Winchesters for the same price as well.
          Those Rio game loads are a steal at that price. That's below normal wholesale. Load up.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Don't buy cheap shells. I patterned all of them that I could get my hands on last year and will stick with $15 + per box loads or my own hand loads for the rest of my life based on what I saw. The El-cheapo Winchester 100 to a big box universal shell were the worst of the bunch; 30% patterns or slightly under that with a full choke at 35 meters in a 28" circle with dense spots all over the place. I got the same results from several different guns.

I'd shoot nothing but Fiocchi Golden Pheasant if they offered this load in 7.5 shot. These promise to be just as good; www.bandpusa.com.
            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
              Don't buy cheap shells. I patterned all of them that I could get my hands on last year and will stick with $15 + per box loads or my own hand loads for the rest of my life based on what I saw. The El-cheapo Winchester 100 to a big box universal shell were the worst of the bunch; 30% patterns or slightly under that with a full choke at 35 meters in a 28" circle with dense spots all over the place. I got the same results from several different guns.
              I'm scared to even try. Truth is I don't really care. I get plenty of birds. I've considered throwing a ton of badass components (Win AA hulls, quality wads, hot shot, etc.) to see if it really equates to more birds, but truth is when I don't get a bird, it's probably because I missed it. All I really load is buckshot, because that means business.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

^^^^
                That is one way of thinking but ask yourself this. What is your time worth? My free time is so limited that it doesn't make any sense to use it in a half ass way. I am sure that I could buy a live bird for what each shell cost me but shooting them on the fly is what makes it fun. It is also really fun to average less then 2 shells fired per bird killed; your hunting partners will think that you are a god.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'd shoot nothing but Fiocchi Golden Pheasant if they offered this load in 7.5 shot. These promise to be just as good; www.bandpusa.com.
                  Whatever works for you I guess, but I don't buy it. I've shot everything from the cheapest Federal, Rio, Winchester, and Remington game/target loads and have never had an issue. If I can nail clays and mini clays one after another with cheap shit, a dove won't be any different. If I miss it's because I'm too far behind it or under it, not because of the ammo.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I have shot trucks full of the cheap shit also and was never unhappy about it until I decided to see how the stuff patterns. I spent 2 days in a field with all of my favorite shotguns and learned a bunch in the process. The engineer in me demands that I fuck with stuff to get the best results.

Comment

Shooting a friends reloads deffinatly pattern better and i get extra yardage. I still buy the cheapest crap i can buy and if they are flying good limit in a hour and go home.

If they would let us keep more id get more serious. I think we should be able to keep say 100 birds vaccume sealed and frozen. Dove all year mmmmmm mmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        Dove all year mmmmmm mmm.
                        Yes!!!
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                        Originally posted by Denny
                        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Shooting a friends reloads deffinatly pattern better and i get extra yardage. I still buy the cheapest crap i can buy and if they are flying good limit in a hour and go home.

If they would let us keep more id get more serious. I think we should be able to keep say 100 birds vaccume sealed and frozen. Dove all year mmmmmm mmm.
                          Buy farm raised pigeon. It even tastes better, because it hasn't been flying for weeks on end before you shoot it.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You can keep more; just not in the same place. I have a freezer at my shop, office, and at home.

Comment

That is one way of thinking but ask yourself this. What is your time worth?
                              Well, that's why I don't reload bird shot. Because my time is worth more than the hours on end it would take fiddling with shot and a turrent shotshell press. It's the only ammo I buy really.

Comment

I will shoot the cheapest ammo I can find for dove. For ducks I have to use steel, and even the cheap stuff isnt cheap anymore, so I spend a little extra for quality ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X