Suppressor question / advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    Any additional brand / store recommendations?

Same for getting barrels threaded? I know I saw some in another thread.. But figured I would ask again since I know several in this thread have owned various.
    Andrew Atwell is where I send my barrels. He charges I believe $70 to thread a barrel. It depends on what you're looking for. The YHM Ti-Phantom is a good can. I personally have an SAS Arbiter (www.suppressedarmament.com) which is reasonable on price, they make a few other titanium cans now, some specifically for semi auto .308's like the Resistor. They are light, inexpensive, and they are accurate. Downside is the mounts are $135/ea.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

So CJ given your advice if I wanted 3 cans: 22 LR, 308 and 45ACP which cans specifically should I consider?

I'd want to use them on a 1: 10/22 and 22 pistol (don't have one yet buckmark or 22/45 soon though), 2: M1A and ARs (300blk, 6.8, and 5.56), and 3: pistols 1911s and some Sigs.

I definitely want to suppress the 10/22 first. It is the family favorite to shoot for a variety of reasons. I just put the new Nikon 2-7 rimfire on it tonight with BDC. Not the best scope in the world but pretty decent for a 10/22. My ARs and M1A have a variety of Leupolds and I'm going to get a few PA and Burris red dots. I have a Burris fastfire which will likely go on one of my 1911s for grins, probably a rock island range toy.

I honestly pick up more from the threads on the DFW armory than just about all the other internet resources put together. At least you get the info with far less BS and stupid ideas. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
        So CJ given your advice if I wanted 3 cans: 22 LR, 308 and 45ACP which cans specifically should I consider?

I'd want to use them on a 1: 10/22 and 22 pistol (don't have one yet buckmark or 22/45 soon though), 2: M1A and ARs (300blk, 6.8, and 5.56), and 3: pistols 1911s and some Sigs.

I definitely want to suppress the 10/22 first. It is the family favorite to shoot for a variety of reasons. I just put the new Nikon 2-7 rimfire on it tonight with BDC. Not the best scope in the world but pretty decent for a 10/22. My ARs and M1A have a variety of Leupolds and I'm going to get a few PA and Burris red dots. I have a Burris fastfire which will likely go on one of my 1911s for grins, probably a rock island range toy.

I honestly pick up more from the threads on the DFW armory than just about all the other internet resources put together. At least you get the info with far less BS and stupid ideas. Thanks guys.
        Sparrow - easiest to clean and bullet proof. Also good for full auto, .22mag, and 5.7x28mm

.308 can I'd go for the SAS Resistor - semi auto designed, titanium, light, and reasonable (~$1000), and for .45 I'd get the Octane 45 HD. Serviceable, super strong.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Have you seen any barrel minimum lengths on the Resistor?
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            Have you seen any barrel minimum lengths on the Resistor?
            I don't know, but for .308 you're not going to really get short barrels. And since it's .300 mag rated, .300blk is a joke for that can. I talked to the guy who designs them, and he practically laughed at me when I asked about a 6" barrel .300blk on full auto. It's like firing a .22 through a .223 can, irrelevant to baffle erosion. I fired my 7.5" gun about 2000 rounds through my arbiter, and it didn't erode anything. You can't get much more severe than that.

Comment

Was thinking using it on a 7.5" 5.56 as well.

Comment

And I'm willing to bet you can get the resistor for under $1,000 after tax depending on the dealer.

Comment

Cool for my birthday this year it looks like I'll be getting a threaded 10/22 barrel and a buckmark or ruger 22/45 with a threaded barrel and then for Christmas a Sparrow suppressor.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my wife to share the 10/22 more.....

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    decided to get rid of it?
                    Yea, I like it a lot but it's just not very practical for me. I was thinking of selling it to free up funds for a few suppressors.

Comment

Is there any comparison (like in spreadsheet / table form) that has been done on db levels of various suppressors and calibers? I think I read in another thread to expect 25-30 decibel reduction, or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        Is there any comparison (like in spreadsheet / table form) that has been done on db levels of various suppressors and calibers? I think I read in another thread to expect 25-30 decibel reduction, or something like that?
                        yes, you want 30+ if possible for heaving safe. Bigger calibers will of course have higher dB.

I wouldn't focus too much on dB reduction, that's a typical error people make when first buying (I did the same thing, I was obsessed with it). Most cans all suppress nearly the same. However, even a few dB is a big difference.

The reason you can't trust it is because the type of dB measuring system they are using greatly changes the rating. Where and how far away the gun is changes it immensely, the degree at which the muzzle is from the microphone also changes it. The type of gun, ammo, barrel length, buffer spring, left or right handed shooter, altitude, acoustics of the recording location, etc. all completely alter the data. Because of this the only real relevant data is when all suppressors are tested on the same day, in the exact same manner, on the exact same gun, with the exact same ammo, using the exact same person shooting. So it's highly subjective.

It's very difficult info to find, but it is out there. Goto NFATalk.org on the forum, you need to register, once you register you can find the subforum with the dB research.

Comment

This data comes from NFATalk.org and I did not make it. Give them your traffic.

.308win / 7.62x51mm

.300blk

.223/5.56mm

.22LR
                          Like I said before this is HIGHLY subjective data, so much so that it's very hard to find because it's practically useless. The only data above that's of any use is when the two cans you want to compare were fired on the same gun, on the same day, with the same ammo. Comparisons outside of that are pointless and irrelevant.

Silencerco tests their cans against competitors in some of their videos so you can see the test and hear the difference. That's probably the best data you'll get.
                          Last edited by CJ; 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Here is a deal, I guess it belongs in "deal of the day" thread BUT.... http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac...special-promo/

The sweet part is, you get a $200 store credit with AAC for each of the cans in the set. So spend $699 with silencershop, get a $549 AAC-556sd with a $260 AAC Pilot 2 and a $400 store credit with AAC to match what you spend on the stamps.

I am still on the hunt for a 7.62 can and might use that $400 later down the road for a AAC can with them.

Comment

That's a great deal they are running. I would use the savings to buy a titanium 762 can from them, those 762 stainless cans are boat anchors.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                                That's a great deal they are running. I would use the savings to buy a titanium 762 can from them, those 762 stainless cans are boat anchors.
                                That was what I was looking at, their 300-TM.

Comment

Working...
                                X