Underhood noise, need to insulate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhood noise, need to insulate.

I have added a new inline check valve on the pvc hose. This was mandatory for another piece of equipment that I installed. Problem is that it is noisy at idle. I need to insulate it somehow. I was thinking to wrap it in a couple of layers of dynamat and put the plastic cover (wire loom) back over it. I am worried about the temp though and I am wondering at what temp that stuff would melt off or just make a huge sticky mess?

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
    I have added a new inline check valve on the pvc hose. This was mandatory for another piece of equipment that I installed. Problem is that it is noisy at idle. I need to insulate it somehow. I was thinking to wrap it in a couple of layers of dynamat and put the plastic cover (wire loom) back over it. I am worried about the temp though and I am wondering at what temp that stuff would melt off or just make a huge sticky mess?
    Dynamat makes a hood liner. I would assume regular Dynamat could not be used in the engine compartment, since they have a separate line of products just for under hood use.

The most recognized brand in automotive soundproofing and heat control in the world. Learn more about reducing unwanted noise and vibration.

Comment

I just need a small piece. Those kits are pricy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't try to put anything like that on parts under the hood, but you could put something on the underside of the hood itself. On my vehicles, I put a layer of Dynamat Xtreme (or similar product) and then put their hood liner product over that. Dynamat is sticky, and can be somewhat messy (although not as bad as cheaper stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          I wouldn't try to put anything like that on parts under the hood, but you could put something on the underside of the hood itself. On my vehicles, I put a layer of Dynamat Xtreme (or similar product) and then put their hood liner product over that. Dynamat is sticky, and can be somewhat messy (although not as bad as cheaper stuff).
          I installed a vented hood recently and it was when I removed the liner that the noise really bothers me. I need to just sound insulate that one hose with the check valve in it.

Comment

I installed a vented hood recently and it was when I removed the liner that the noise really bothers me. I need to just sound insulate that one hose with the check valve in it.
            I'd probably try to wrap it with some kind of rubber layer and then a rubbery tape (think bigger, thicker electrical tape) to keep that in place. Then maybe even a layer of heat wrap or something to clean it up and make it look better. Then again, I'm just visualizing what you are working with in my head. That idea might suck. It also may not be dirt cheap unless you have the stuff laying around.

Comment

Or, if it's actually rattling, and you have a good surface to put it on, you might get away with just a small piece of Dynamat. It shouldn't take much at all to stop a rattle. If it gets super hot it could melt and be gross, but I bet it would be okay.

Comment

This is what I'm wanting to do ad I already have the dynamat. I just don't not wanting it getting hot and running down over shit

Comment

This is what I'm wanting to do ad I already have the dynamat. I just don't not wanting it getting hot and running down over shit

Does the piece itself get really hot, or just the temps under the hood? If it's the latter, you should be fine.

Comment

I am going to drive around and then hit it with my temp gun and see

Comment

Looks like 190ish Its just hot air around it. And it is carrying fumes/vapors from inside the crankcase back into the intake to be burned off so that stuff has to be hot in its own right.

Comment

Looks like 190ish Its just hot air around it. And it is carrying fumes/vapors from inside the crankcase back into the intake to be burned off so that stuff has to be hot in its own right.
                        It might get messy. Only one way to find out for sure!

Comment

Working...
                        X