Maryland School Shooting This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland School Shooting This Morning

A 17-year-old male student shot two other students at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday morning before a school resource officer engaged him and stopped the threat, according to St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron.

(CNN) — Authorities responded to a shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland on Tuesday morning, the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said.

The event has been contained, the sheriff's office said. The school was on lockdown for a brief time but students are now being evacuated from Great Mills High School to a reunification center at a nearby high school, the school district said.

There was no immediate information about any injuries or deaths.

A spokesman for the FBI's Baltimore field office said its agents are on the scene of the incident. Special agents from the ATF's Baltimore office are also at the school, that office tweeted.

Jonathan Freese, a student at Great Mills, called CNN from his cell phone as he was in lockdown in math class. Police were going through classrooms to clear the school, Freese said.

"I'm still a little shaken up," he said.

Freese said the school had held drills a couple of times for this kind of situation.

"I didn't really expect for this to happen. I do always feel safe, though, because they always have police at the school," he said.

According to CNN's research, there have been 16 confirmed school shootings this year in the United States prior to today.

Great Mills High School has an enrollment of just over 1,500 students, about 56% of them minority students. The school has a four-year graduation rate of 91%, according to the school's 2015-16 improvement plan.

Last week, students at Great Mills High School walked out of class as part of a student-led protest against school violence in the wake of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Al Murray shot video of police responding to the shooting at the high school Tuesday. He says he saw at least one officer run into the building with a shotgun or rifle.

This is a developing story that will be updated frequently.

CNN's David Williams contributed to this report.
    G'Day Mate

shooter is dead
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      shooter is dead
      Due to the officer assigned to the school, doing his job.

Comment

Baltimore is a shithole

Comment

Shhhh, guns are bad, they can't be used for good.
          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
            Baltimore is a shithole
            It is, but this school is far from Balt. I'm thinking it's down in skeeterville.

Comment

56% a minority??

CN

Comment

Girl critically hurt in HS shooting may have had relationship with suspected gunman, police say

http://abcnews.go.com/US/maryland-hi...ry?id=53871080

Two teenagers were shot and injured at a high school in Great Mills, Maryland this morning, allegedly by a classmate who may have had a prior relationship with one of them, authorities said.

"I'm kind of traumatized," one student told ABC News. "I could have died."

Suspect Austin Rollins’ two alleged victims -- a 14-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl -- were shot in a Great Mills High School hallway just before classes began, authorities said, adding that Rollins, 17, died after exchanging gunfire with a school resource officer.

"There is an indication that a prior relationship existed between the shooter and the female victim," St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron said at a news conference today.

The extent of any relationship between them was unclear and the motive remains under investigation.
                I'm not saying what this kid did was ok, but this doesn't seem to fit the "school shooting" narrative to me. I hear "school shooting" and I think of some kid spraying bullets to inflict mass casualty on random strangers. This looks like it's more of a targeted assault (ex-gf) that happened to take place at a school. He didn't even use a scary "assault style" rifle.

Luckily the SRO had balls and engaged the shooter less than 1 minute after the girl was shot. Whether the shooter killed himself or the SRO killed him doesn't matter to me. The SRO engaging the shooter resulted in the shooter's death and for that, the SRO deserves a BMF wallet.

Comment

Barely a mention in the media about this situation... where are all the dumb ass kids protesting about the gun the SRO carried to protect them?

^^ I agree with the previous poster, young love gone bad... jilted ex out for some revenge and it just happened at school.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by CyaNide View Post
                    56% a minority??

CN
                    To CNN it is!
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

It's amazing how little press this story is getting. If you don't think the press really is biased to the libtard way, let this be your wake up call. All the whining and complaining about armed security and teachers in schools; it works. Problem solved.

Comment

I'm hearing that some shitfaced twinkle-toed communist cocksucking mother fucker at CNN said the school resource officer was "trigger happy".
                        If this is true, that failed abortion needs to be made to go to the homes of every single student from that school and explain their statement to the parents of these kids who are alive thanks solely to the SRO in question.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                          Barely a mention in the media about this situation... where are all the dumb ass kids protesting about the gun the SRO carried to protect them?

^^ I agree with the previous poster, young love gone bad... jilted ex out for some revenge and it just happened at school.

mardyn
                          Not sure if you noticed the other story linked in the OP's story, about 16 school shootings so far this year.. If you look at their examples, a bunch (like over a third) were shootings that occurred on college campuses, mostly not even involving students. Some of the HS ones they mention also had nothing to do with students. They're just looking for any situation where any gun was used at any type of school property, apparently. Pretty fucking ridiculous and clearly click bait sensationalism just meant to exaggerate the narrative.

Comment

Sadly, the girl that was shot in this incident was brain dead and they are preparing to take her off life support...

what a tragedy this whole thing has become.

mardyn

Comment

Working...
                            X