X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on upgrading cpu...

I have a Asus M2N-E MB

I am looking at this...
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    Buy AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - Phenom II X4 Deneb Quad-Core 3.4 GHz Socket AM3 125W Processor - HDZ965FBGMBOX with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I found the processor support page for my MB,but the model # is a little different. I looked around and can only find this model # HDZ965FBGMBOX

On MB support page it shows model # HDZ965FBK4DGM

1. Can I still use this?
    2. If so, is it as simple as updating bios and just installing the chip?

thanks

From what I've found, your limited to the 95watt cpu's.

EDIT: I was wrong, it'll support 125watters but you'll likely have to flash a newer BIOS to support it.

Also, if I may make a recommendation, you can get a 940 BE for $95 and it's a 3.0Ghz native chip. I just got one and LOVE it. It has all the same features as the 965 that you're lookin @ for $65 less. That would enable you to get a good aftermarket cooler to OC.

I'm usin a Hyper212+ and have my chip @ 3.4Ghz and temps stay @ or below 48c under full load running F@H.
    Last edited by Tx Redneck; 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I have a anthlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80 GHz now. Problem with OC'ing, is that I don't know how to do or even know where to begin, and I don't want to screw anything up. I tried it once on this one and it didn't work right, so I put it back stock. I'm not a good tuner of pc's..haha I do have an aftermarket cooler for cpu. It's a fan style heatsink with fan.

Comment

Question:
        Why save the money to buy a lower ghz cpu, but then spend the money saved to buy a better cooler and bring it up to where the higher priced cpu already operates at with a stock cooler?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
          I have a anthlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80 GHz now. Problem with OC'ing, is that I don't know how to do or even know where to begin, and I don't want to screw anything up. I tried it once on this one and it didn't work right, so I put it back stock. I'm not a good tuner of pc's..haha I do have an aftermarket cooler for cpu. It's a fan style heatsink with fan.
          I upgraded from that very same chip and I had it @ 3.2Ghz w/ that 212+

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
          Question:
          Why save the money to buy a lower ghz cpu, but then spend the money saved to buy a better cooler and bring it up to where the higher priced cpu already operates at with a stock cooler?
          Because the cooler can be had for just over $20 for a savings over the other chip.
          The 940 can go to 3.7-8 on air too.
          Last edited by Tx Redneck; 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Here's a guide to recover from a bad BIOS flash.

Comment

I read that thread it seemed pretty simple to up the FSB and mess with voltage,but when they started mentioning about "divider", it changed my mind. I bought a aftermarket cooler for cpu when I 1st built this pc awhile back. My fan looks like this....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118019

I was messing around with the "pre-built" options on the OC part in bios, but never messed with individual settings. I just said screw it and left it stock even though I had that heatsink on it. If you could help OC this one as high as I can with it still running safe, I'll keep it. I would love to get to the 3.2-3.4 range or more OC'ing or getting better chip.
              Last edited by Rafa; 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I can help you out fo sho. Are you gonna be near that machine in about an hour, give or take 15mins?

Go here and follow the instructions so we can get a baseline.

Common questions and support documentation for PC Matic Home

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  I can help you out fo sho. Are you gonna be near that machine in about an hour, give or take 15mins?

Go here and follow the instructions so we can get a baseline.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/hel...echexphelp.htm

I won't be home till around 7 tonight. I can mess with while watching the game tonight. I'll do that link 1st thing when I get home.

thanks man

Comment

Thanks again Brian

Got up up to 3.01.

Comment

My pleasure bubba.

My offer stands on that CPU...

Comment

I'm good with the cpu man. big thanks
                        I'm gonna run with this for awhile and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                        X