Bought an AR, need a little input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an AR, need a little input

So, since I know if I say I got a "great deal" (at least in my eyes) some will want to know what I think is so great. Just gonna get that out of the way...

All new

This upper

This lower

Nikon pro staff 3x9x40 scope w/mounts (although I want the scope a little higher so I'll probably get new mounts)

2 20 round magpuls
    2 30 round magpuls

One of these bags

Just over 700 dollars + tax, no shipping and instant gratification.

Anyway, now on to my problem. I got excited about the bull barrel and did not think it through 100%. I don't see a simple way to add a sling or bipod to the upper. Is the only option to replace the tube (free float) that is on the outside of the barrel?

Any input and help is appreciated it. I really enjoy the weight of this weapon and would rather not go to a standard upper in this case if I can avoid it.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

The easiest way is to drill a hole in the free float tube and mount a quick release swivel stud. I have done this on all of my free float tubes. There are are also bipods that will attach to this that have a sling swivel on them...... Don't get rid of the free float as it makes the gun way more accurate!!
    Last edited by bronco71; 01-15-2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Yeah, saw the bipods today that'll work (was looking for something that might clamp to the barrel) like you saw. Do you have any pictures by any chance of your work on one of them? Just curious since I think that maybe what I'll have to do.

I don't really want to buy much else for this gun other then something to raise the scope up a little.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Do you really need a bipod? Think about that first. Whenever I see ARs at the 200 yard range, they are shooting over a wood block or a bag.

As far as slings go, I use a single point sling attached to a mount at the rear of the receiver. Most of the guys at the carbine matches use this type of sling.
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

In regards to the bipod, it's just one of those accessories I'd like to have. I agree that sandbags or other options work just fine. The bi-pod seems like one of those deals it could be handy but should not be too much of a hassle for just standard shooting from a standing position or something either. (for 30-50 bucks too, no biggy)

The single point sling works great, but I'm used to, like and prefer to have my weapons slung over my shoulder when I need it slung. If I end up having to, I'll do that, but I'd prefer a standard sling if possible.

Both are just preference things and that's where I'm at.

Comment

Okay, I give. Walked around Academy, Walmart and Bass Pro and did not find just a stud that could be threaded in. Anyone know of local place to acquire one?

I may just run it to a gunsmith depending on cost.

of course, it may make more sense to upgrade the tube as well - guess I need to figure it out.

Comment

I have found them at gun shows in the past. Gunsmiths have them also, Doc's in Carrollton has had them before. They are threaded with a nut. I drill a hole centered and back a little way from the front of the free float tube, be sure it will clear the gas block.....and back far enough to support a bipod if used.

Comment

Good input, I appreciate it bronco71.

Take care

Comment

Working...
                X